Campy triple: 30t granny/13-29 cogs work OK???

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by John Crankshaw, Feb 12, 2004.

  1. I'm thinking about going to a triple on my road bike. Currently have 53-39 rings and 12-29 cogs
    (modified a 13-29 cassette to get a 12t small cog).

    I'd like a 30t granny and keep the 29t big cog. Will the Centaur long cage Der handle the
    chain slack?

    Thanks.

    Tags:

  2. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 15:16:52 GMT, "John Crankshaw"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I'm thinking about going to a triple on my road bike. Currently have 53-39 rings and 12-29 cogs
    >(modified a 13-29 cassette to get a 12t small cog).
    >
    >I'd like a 30t granny and keep the 29t big cog. Will the Centaur long cage Der handle the
    >chain slack?

    I don't see any problem, not even if you use an 11.

    My tandem used 52/42/28 and 12/32. Others have used 11/32 and 12/34.

    52/42/30 and 12/32 was just manageable with what is now called the medium cage rear derailleur when
    there was a 'b' tension screw.

  3. jcrankshaw-<< I'd like a 30t granny and keep the 29t big cog. Will the Centaur long cage Der handle
    the chain slack? >><BR><BR> What the der is designed to do, someplace to put the 'extra' chain for
    non droopy small-small thru no broken chain, large-large.

  4. Fred Roses

    Fred Roses Guest

    "John Crankshaw" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I'm thinking about going to a triple on my road bike. Currently have 53-39 rings and 12-29 cogs
    > (modified a 13-29 cassette to get a 12t small cog).
    >
    > I'd like a 30t granny and keep the 29t big cog. Will the Centaur long cage Der handle the
    > chain slack?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Yes, I'm using the 13-29 successfully with a Centaur long cage and I even swapped out the 30T
    granny for 26T.

    Fred Roses

  5. Tonv

    Tonv Guest

    "Fred Roses <cut>
    > Yes, I'm using the 13-29 successfully with a Centaur long cage and I even swapped out the 30T
    > granny for 26T.

    Hello Fred, I am curious about the swapiing 30T - 26T I just got a triple 50-42-30 and a 13-29
    cassette. I thought that's the most widely range I can get now. But trying the triple 30T on the
    cassette the 26 or 29 I have the idea that I am working hard, but no progress. Why did you swap the
    30T to 26T?

    Ton

  6. Kenny Lee

    Kenny Lee Guest

    TonV wrote:

    > Hello Fred, I am curious about the swapiing 30T - 26T I just got a triple 50-42-30 and a 13-29
    > cassette. I thought that's the most widely range I can get now. But trying the triple 30T on the
    > cassette the 26 or 29 I have the idea that I am working hard, but no progress. Why did you swap
    > the 30T to 26T?
    >
    > Ton

    Hi,

    I have 50-40-26 on my Campy triple road bike. I switched out the 30t granny because I like climbing
    those really steep and long hills with less suffering. I used to use the 13-29 cassette with this
    crankset but found this to be overkill. Now I use the 12-25 cassette and for me this is the right
    combo. I probably could get away with a 30t granny but...

    Kenny Lee

  7. Fred Roses

    Fred Roses Guest

    Kenny Lee <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<c0lbl7>
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have 50-40-26 on my Campy triple road bike. I switched out the 30t granny because I like
    > climbing those really steep and long hills with less suffering. I used to use the 13-29 cassette
    > with this crankset but found this to be overkill. Now I use the 12-25 cassette and for me this is
    > the right combo. I probably could get away with a 30t granny but...
    >
    > Kenny Lee

    What Kenny said! I do sometimes "run out of gears" with the 50/13, but the 26/29 sure is a great bail-
    out when you've given it your all. Helped me over Haast Pass in NZ a few weeks ago :)

    Fred Roses