Campy triple: 30t granny/13-29 cogs work OK???

John Crankshaw

Guest
I'm thinking about going to a triple on my road bike. Currently have 53-39 rings and 12-29 cogs
(modified a 13-29 cassette to get a 12t small cog).

I'd like a 30t granny and keep the 29t big cog. Will the Centaur long cage Der handle the
chain slack?

Thanks.

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 15:16:52 GMT, "John Crankshaw"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm thinking about going to a triple on my road bike. Currently have 53-39 rings and 12-29 cogs
>(modified a 13-29 cassette to get a 12t small cog).
>
>I'd like a 30t granny and keep the 29t big cog. Will the Centaur long cage Der handle the
>chain slack?

I don't see any problem, not even if you use an 11.

My tandem used 52/42/28 and 12/32. Others have used 11/32 and 12/34.

52/42/30 and 12/32 was just manageable with what is now called the medium cage rear derailleur when
there was a 'b' tension screw.

jcrankshaw-<< I'd like a 30t granny and keep the 29t big cog. Will the Centaur long cage Der handle
the chain slack? >><BR><BR> What the der is designed to do, someplace to put the 'extra' chain for
non droopy small-small thru no broken chain, large-large.

"John Crankshaw" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I'm thinking about going to a triple on my road bike. Currently have 53-39 rings and 12-29 cogs
> (modified a 13-29 cassette to get a 12t small cog).
>
> I'd like a 30t granny and keep the 29t big cog. Will the Centaur long cage Der handle the
> chain slack?
>
> Thanks.

Yes, I'm using the 13-29 successfully with a Centaur long cage and I even swapped out the 30T
granny for 26T.

Fred Roses

"Fred Roses <cut>
> Yes, I'm using the 13-29 successfully with a Centaur long cage and I even swapped out the 30T
> granny for 26T.

Hello Fred, I am curious about the swapiing 30T - 26T I just got a triple 50-42-30 and a 13-29
cassette. I thought that's the most widely range I can get now. But trying the triple 30T on the
cassette the 26 or 29 I have the idea that I am working hard, but no progress. Why did you swap the
30T to 26T?

Ton

TonV wrote:

> Hello Fred, I am curious about the swapiing 30T - 26T I just got a triple 50-42-30 and a 13-29
> cassette. I thought that's the most widely range I can get now. But trying the triple 30T on the
> cassette the 26 or 29 I have the idea that I am working hard, but no progress. Why did you swap
> the 30T to 26T?
>
> Ton

Hi,

I have 50-40-26 on my Campy triple road bike. I switched out the 30t granny because I like climbing
those really steep and long hills with less suffering. I used to use the 13-29 cassette with this
crankset but found this to be overkill. Now I use the 12-25 cassette and for me this is the right
combo. I probably could get away with a 30t granny but...

Kenny Lee

Kenny Lee <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<c0lbl7>
> Hi,
>
> I have 50-40-26 on my Campy triple road bike. I switched out the 30t granny because I like
> climbing those really steep and long hills with less suffering. I used to use the 13-29 cassette
> with this crankset but found this to be overkill. Now I use the 12-25 cassette and for me this is
> the right combo. I probably could get away with a 30t granny but...
>
> Kenny Lee

What Kenny said! I do sometimes "run out of gears" with the 50/13, but the 26/29 sure is a great bail-
out when you've given it your all. Helped me over Haast Pass in NZ a few weeks ago :)

Fred Roses