Campy Triple FD Problem

Crankyrigger

Guest
I'm rebuilding a friend's Richard Sachs with a new Record triple group. Everything was fine until I
got to the front derailleur. It's a braze-on model, and I can't get it high enough to clear the 52
tooth outer ring. It is about 2 mm too low at the top of the slot. I'm trying to get my friend back
on the road quickly. I guess I could switch to a 50 tooth ring, but that wouldn't be the best
solution for him. If I file the slot, I'll only have about 2 mm of metal left at the top. I don't
like that idea, but would that be enough? The old derailleur is a 1991 Athena. It does clear the
ring, and it has enough range to cover three rings, would it work with Ergo and a triple? The cage
is narrower, so I assume it would require more trimming. Perhaps more important, the inner cage
plate doesn't drop down as far. Would that seriously compromise shifting? My friend is looking for
simplicity, not a science project every time he shifts.

Thanks

Mike Fennelly

On 26 Jan 2004, Crankyrigger wrote:
> I'm rebuilding a friend's Richard Sachs with a new Record triple group. Everything was fine until
> I got to the front derailleur. It's a braze-on model, and I can't get it high enough to clear the
> 52 tooth outer ring. It is about 2 mm too low at the top of the slot.

How about filing away a little metal?

Sergio Pisa

Crankyrigger wrote:
> I'm rebuilding a friend's Richard Sachs with a new Record triple group. Everything was fine until
> I got to the front derailleur. It's a braze-on model, and I can't get it high enough to clear the
> 52 tooth outer ring. It is about 2 mm too low at the top of the slot. I'm trying to get my friend
> back on the road quickly. I guess I could switch to a 50 tooth ring, but that wouldn't be the best
> solution for him. If I file the slot, I'll only have about 2 mm of metal left at the top. I don't
> like that idea, but would that be enough? The old derailleur is a 1991 Athena. It does clear the
> ring, and it has enough range to cover three rings, would it work with Ergo and a triple? The cage
> is narrower, so I assume it would require more trimming. Perhaps more important, the inner cage
> plate doesn't drop down as far. Would that seriously compromise shifting? My friend is looking for
> simplicity, not a science project every time he shifts.

Ergos are compatible with all front derailleurs so I suggest trying the old Athena first. Nothing
more than some time to loose.

Another solution might be to file the slot as much as you dare then try a 51 tooth Specialites TA
ring if the 52T still wasn't reachable.

~PB

> I'm rebuilding a friend's Richard Sachs with a new Record triple group. Everything was fine until
> I got to the front derailleur. It's a braze-on
model,
> and I can't get it high enough to clear the 52 tooth outer ring. It is
about 2
> mm too low at the top of the slot. I'm trying to get my friend back on the
road
> quickly. I guess I could switch to a 50 tooth ring, but that wouldn't be
the
> best solution for him. If I file the slot, I'll only have about 2 mm of
metal
> left at the top. I don't like that idea, but would that be enough? The old derailleur is a 1991
> Athena. It does clear the ring, and it has
enough
> range to cover three rings, would it work with Ergo and a triple? The cage
is
> narrower, so I assume it would require more trimming. Perhaps more
important,
> the inner cage plate doesn't drop down as far. Would that seriously
compromise
> shifting? My friend is looking for simplicity, not a science project every
time
> he shifts.

Maybe it's possible to tap another hole in the deraillieur below the current mounting screw hole so
it can be mounted higher.

"Crankyrigger" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:20040126014915.28471.00000753@mb-
m01.news.cs.com...
> I'm rebuilding a friend's Richard Sachs with a new Record triple group. Everything was fine until
> I got to the front derailleur. It's a braze-on
model,
> and I can't get it high enough to clear the 52 tooth outer ring. It is
about 2
> mm too low at the top of the slot. I'm trying to get my friend back on the
road
> quickly. I guess I could switch to a 50 tooth ring, but that wouldn't be
the
> best solution for him. If I file the slot, I'll only have about 2 mm of
metal
> left at the top. I don't like that idea, but would that be enough? The old derailleur is a 1991
> Athena. It does clear the ring, and it has
enough
> range to cover three rings, would it work with Ergo and a triple? The cage
is
> narrower, so I assume it would require more trimming. Perhaps more
important,
> the inner cage plate doesn't drop down as far. Would that seriously
compromise
> shifting? My friend is looking for simplicity, not a science project every
time
> he shifts.
>
> Thanks
>
> Mike Fennelly

crank-<< I'm rebuilding a friend's Richard Sachs with a new Record triple group. Everything was fine
until I got to the front derailleur. It's a braze-on model, and I can't get it high enough to clear
the 52 tooth outer ring. It is about 2 mm too low at the top of the slot >><BR><BR>

File the slot and also trim the outside of the front der cage a wee bit. This is not uncommon with
the longer arms of the triple front der, coupled with braze-on front der tabs which to put it in
Sheldon's terms, 'are the work of Satan'...

Two ideas.
1. Try a different triple front derailleur. Centaur if you want to stay Campagnolo. It might be
different in shape and might have the clearance. Might. Or try Shimano. Dura Ace, Ultegra both
have triple front derailleurs.

2. File the outer cage of the Record front derailleur. Not the braze on tab on the frame. I
presume its the outer cage on the front derailleur which hits the chainring. See where the
cage hits the teeth. Get a Dremel and grind away some of the derailleur cage. Keep trying it
and grinding a little away until it clears. A 2mm less tall outer front derailleur cage won't
make any noticeable difference. And with a Dremel you should have lots of control over the
grinding and with smoother stones can polish the ground edge up pretty well so no one can tell
its been ground.

m01.news.cs.com>...