Campy Triple FD Problem

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Crankyrigger, Jan 26, 2004.

  1. Crankyrigger

    Crankyrigger Guest

    I'm rebuilding a friend's Richard Sachs with a new Record triple group. Everything was fine until I
    got to the front derailleur. It's a braze-on model, and I can't get it high enough to clear the 52
    tooth outer ring. It is about 2 mm too low at the top of the slot. I'm trying to get my friend back
    on the road quickly. I guess I could switch to a 50 tooth ring, but that wouldn't be the best
    solution for him. If I file the slot, I'll only have about 2 mm of metal left at the top. I don't
    like that idea, but would that be enough? The old derailleur is a 1991 Athena. It does clear the
    ring, and it has enough range to cover three rings, would it work with Ergo and a triple? The cage
    is narrower, so I assume it would require more trimming. Perhaps more important, the inner cage
    plate doesn't drop down as far. Would that seriously compromise shifting? My friend is looking for
    simplicity, not a science project every time he shifts.

    Thanks

    Mike Fennelly

    Tags:

  2. On 26 Jan 2004, Crankyrigger wrote:
    > I'm rebuilding a friend's Richard Sachs with a new Record triple group. Everything was fine until
    > I got to the front derailleur. It's a braze-on model, and I can't get it high enough to clear the
    > 52 tooth outer ring. It is about 2 mm too low at the top of the slot.

    How about filing away a little metal?

    Sergio Pisa

  3. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Crankyrigger wrote:
    > I'm rebuilding a friend's Richard Sachs with a new Record triple group. Everything was fine until
    > I got to the front derailleur. It's a braze-on model, and I can't get it high enough to clear the
    > 52 tooth outer ring. It is about 2 mm too low at the top of the slot. I'm trying to get my friend
    > back on the road quickly. I guess I could switch to a 50 tooth ring, but that wouldn't be the best
    > solution for him. If I file the slot, I'll only have about 2 mm of metal left at the top. I don't
    > like that idea, but would that be enough? The old derailleur is a 1991 Athena. It does clear the
    > ring, and it has enough range to cover three rings, would it work with Ergo and a triple? The cage
    > is narrower, so I assume it would require more trimming. Perhaps more important, the inner cage
    > plate doesn't drop down as far. Would that seriously compromise shifting? My friend is looking for
    > simplicity, not a science project every time he shifts.

    Ergos are compatible with all front derailleurs so I suggest trying the old Athena first. Nothing
    more than some time to loose.

    Another solution might be to file the slot as much as you dare then try a 51 tooth Specialites TA
    ring if the 52T still wasn't reachable.

    ~PB

  4. Ronald

    Ronald Guest

    > I'm rebuilding a friend's Richard Sachs with a new Record triple group. Everything was fine until
    > I got to the front derailleur. It's a braze-on
    model,
    > and I can't get it high enough to clear the 52 tooth outer ring. It is
    about 2
    > mm too low at the top of the slot. I'm trying to get my friend back on the
    road
    > quickly. I guess I could switch to a 50 tooth ring, but that wouldn't be
    the
    > best solution for him. If I file the slot, I'll only have about 2 mm of
    metal
    > left at the top. I don't like that idea, but would that be enough? The old derailleur is a 1991
    > Athena. It does clear the ring, and it has
    enough
    > range to cover three rings, would it work with Ergo and a triple? The cage
    is
    > narrower, so I assume it would require more trimming. Perhaps more
    important,
    > the inner cage plate doesn't drop down as far. Would that seriously
    compromise
    > shifting? My friend is looking for simplicity, not a science project every
    time
    > he shifts.

    Maybe it's possible to tap another hole in the deraillieur below the current mounting screw hole so
    it can be mounted higher.

    "Crankyrigger" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    m01.news.cs.com...
    > I'm rebuilding a friend's Richard Sachs with a new Record triple group. Everything was fine until
    > I got to the front derailleur. It's a braze-on
    model,
    > and I can't get it high enough to clear the 52 tooth outer ring. It is
    about 2
    > mm too low at the top of the slot. I'm trying to get my friend back on the
    road
    > quickly. I guess I could switch to a 50 tooth ring, but that wouldn't be
    the
    > best solution for him. If I file the slot, I'll only have about 2 mm of
    metal
    > left at the top. I don't like that idea, but would that be enough? The old derailleur is a 1991
    > Athena. It does clear the ring, and it has
    enough
    > range to cover three rings, would it work with Ergo and a triple? The cage
    is
    > narrower, so I assume it would require more trimming. Perhaps more
    important,
    > the inner cage plate doesn't drop down as far. Would that seriously
    compromise
    > shifting? My friend is looking for simplicity, not a science project every
    time
    > he shifts.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Mike Fennelly

  5. crank-<< I'm rebuilding a friend's Richard Sachs with a new Record triple group. Everything was fine
    until I got to the front derailleur. It's a braze-on model, and I can't get it high enough to clear
    the 52 tooth outer ring. It is about 2 mm too low at the top of the slot >><BR><BR>

    File the slot and also trim the outside of the front der cage a wee bit. This is not uncommon with
    the longer arms of the triple front der, coupled with braze-on front der tabs which to put it in
    Sheldon's terms, 'are the work of Satan'...

  6. Two ideas.
    1. Try a different triple front derailleur. Centaur if you want to stay Campagnolo. It might be
    different in shape and might have the clearance. Might. Or try Shimano. Dura Ace, Ultegra both
    have triple front derailleurs.

    2. File the outer cage of the Record front derailleur. Not the braze on tab on the frame. I
    presume its the outer cage on the front derailleur which hits the chainring. See where the
    cage hits the teeth. Get a Dremel and grind away some of the derailleur cage. Keep trying it
    and grinding a little away until it clears. A 2mm less tall outer front derailleur cage won't
    make any noticeable difference. And with a Dremel you should have lots of control over the
    grinding and with smoother stones can polish the ground edge up pretty well so no one can tell
    its been ground.

    m01.news.cs.com>...