Campy Triple Fr. Derl. on MTB ???

Adam-from-SLO

Nov 30, 2003
Hello All,

Just checking/double checking... is it possible I can use a Campy Triple Front Derailleur on a Mountain bike set up (22-32-44 chain rings .. or I may switch out the 32 for 34 ... and 44 for 46) ?

Thanks in Advance. :D

Adam-from-SLO said:
Hello All,

Just checking/double checking... is it possible I can use a Campy Triple Front Derailleur on a Mountain bike set up (22-32-44 chain rings .. or I may switch out the 32 for 34 ... and 44 for 46) ?

Thanks in Advance. :D
The derailleur will probably shift the chain fine over the chainrings, the problem will be if you are using shimano MTB shifters. Shimano's indexing and trim mechanism seems to work better with the wider cage that they use on their front derailleur. The relatively narrower cage Campy FD's do fine becuase of the fine indexed ratchet on Campy ergo. If you are using an MTB crankset with ERGO it should work-some loaded tourers use set-ups like this because the 30-39-53 or similar "racing T" range is too high for some people.

John M said:
The derailleur will probably shift the chain fine over the chainrings, the problem will be if you are using shimano MTB shifters. Shimano's indexing and trim mechanism seems to work better with the wider cage that they use on their front derailleur. The relatively narrower cage Campy FD's do fine becuase of the fine indexed ratchet on Campy ergo. If you are using an MTB crankset with ERGO it should work-some loaded tourers use set-ups like this because the 30-39-53 or similar "racing T" range is too high for some people.

John,
Thanks for the response.

Actually, I'll be using a SRAM front shifter.
Do you think it could/will work ? I am familiar w/Campy FD's... as I've had them on my road bikes for years now/ Ergo.

-Adam

Adam-from-SLO said:
John,
Thanks for the response.

Actually, I'll be using a SRAM front shifter.
Do you think it could/will work ? I am familiar w/Campy FD's... as I've had them on my road bikes for years now/ Ergo.

-Adam

I think that a SRAM grip shift type shifter would work well with pretty much any front derailleur. I don't have enough experience with their trigger shifters to make a guess.