Campy Ultra Narrow Chain Questions

goldmine848

Guest
I recently upgraded to 10 speed. I am using a Campy Ultra Narrow chain
and a Connex link. I have several (probably dumb) questions:

1. If I remove the chain for cleaning, is it important to maintain the
original orientation of the chain when re-installing it? In other
words, does it matter if it travels in the direction opposite from how
it travelled when originally installed?

2. Can I use my Park chain tool to remove links in a new Ultra Narrow
chain?

3. I assume, when I shorten the new chain, I will be removing and not
using the special marked external link?

Thanks for the assistance.

On Jul 20, 5:00 am, goldmine848 <[email protected]> wrote:
> I recently upgraded to 10 speed. I am using a Campy Ultra Narrow chain
> and a Connex link. I have several (probably dumb) questions:
>
> 1. If I remove the chain for cleaning, is it important to maintain the
> original orientation of the chain when re-installing it? In other
> words, does it matter if it travels in the direction opposite from how
> it travelled when originally installed?

No it doesn't

> 2. Can I use my Park chain tool to remove links in a new Ultra Narrow
> chain?

Yes you can.

> 3. I assume, when I shorten the new chain, I will be removing and not
> using the special marked external link?

Correct and using a snaplink is the thing to do. Not sure why the 3
'big boys' haven't figured out that a reuseable link is OK..

> Thanks for the assistance.

On Jul 20, 8:06 am, Qui si parla Campagnolo <[email protected]>
wrote:
> On Jul 20, 5:00 am, goldmine848 <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I recently upgraded to 10 speed. I am using a Campy Ultra Narrow chain
> > and a Connex link. I have several (probably dumb) questions:

> > 1. If I remove the chain for cleaning, is it important to maintain the
> > original orientation of the chain when re-installing it? In other
> > words, does it matter if it travels in the direction opposite from how
> > it travelled when originally installed?

> No it doesn't
>

> > 2. Can I use my Park chain tool to remove links in a new Ultra Narrow
> > chain?

> Yes you can.
>

> > 3. I assume, when I shorten the new chain, I will be removing and not
> > using the special marked external link?

> Correct and using a snaplink is the thing to do. Not sure why the 3
> 'big boys' haven't figured out that a reuseable link is OK..
>

> > Thanks for the assistance.- Hide quoted text -

thanks for the quick response. one more question that I forgot the
first time. Using the Park chain checker, is it safe to go all the way
to 1.0 with these chains?

goldmine848 <[email protected]> wrote:

> thanks for the quick response. one more question that I forgot the
> first time. Using the Park chain checker, is it safe to go all the way
> to 1.0 with these chains?

NO...!

-- not if you want to change the cassette and the chain rings too.

from experience, I've found that ".75" is all she wrote ... you change
your chain here, odds are you wont have to change everything else.

-- also you should check the chain in different spots, to look for areas
that are stretched. A stretched chain will kill you inner chainring
faster than anything else I've seen.

....and Sheldon has more to say on this too:

http://sheldonbrown.com/chains.html

On Jul 20, 6:36 am, goldmine848 <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jul 20, 8:06 am, Qui si parla Campagnolo <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

> > On Jul 20, 5:00 am, goldmine848 <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > I recently upgraded to 10 speed. I am using a Campy Ultra Narrow chain
> > > and a Connex link. I have several (probably dumb) questions:

> > > 1. If I remove the chain for cleaning, is it important to maintain the
> > > original orientation of the chain when re-installing it? In other
> > > words, does it matter if it travels in the direction opposite from how
> > > it travelled when originally installed?

> > No it doesn't

> > > 2. Can I use my Park chain tool to remove links in a new Ultra Narrow
> > > chain?

> > Yes you can.

> > > 3. I assume, when I shorten the new chain, I will be removing and not
> > > using the special marked external link?

> > Correct and using a snaplink is the thing to do. Not sure why the 3
> > 'big boys' haven't figured out that a reuseable link is OK..

> > > Thanks for the assistance.- Hide quoted text -

> thanks for the quick response. one more question that I forgot the
> first time. Using the Park chain checker, is it safe to go all the way
> to 1.0 with these chains?

Which chain checker? The CC-3(?), the latest one, is the only one that
is accutrate and recommend use .75.

On Jul 22, 8:06 am, Qui si parla Campagnolo <[email protected]>
wrote:
> On Jul 20, 6:36 am, goldmine848 <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On Jul 20, 8:06 am, Qui si parla Campagnolo <[email protected]>
> > wrote:

> > > No it doesn't

> > > Yes you can.

> > > Correct and using a snaplink is the thing to do. Not sure why the 3
> > > 'big boys' haven't figured out that a reuseable link is OK..

> > thanks for the quick response. one more question that I forgot the
> > first time. Using the Park chain checker, is it safe to go all the way
> > to 1.0 with these chains?

> Which chain checker? The CC-3(?), the latest one, is the only one that
> is accutrate and recommend use .75.- Hide quoted text -

it's the CC-2...thanks .75 it is...i'm sort of amazed. i have about
1200 miles on thius chain and it's only at .25... i thought htey wore
faster than that

On Jul 23, 7:12 pm, goldmine848 <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jul 22, 8:06 am, Qui si parla Campagnolo <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

> > On Jul 20, 6:36 am, goldmine848 <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > thanks for the quick response. one more question that I forgot the
> > > first time. Using the Park chain checker, is it safe to go all the way
> > > to 1.0 with these chains?

> > Which chain checker? The CC-3(?), the latest one, is the only one that
> > is accutrate and recommend use .75.- Hide quoted text -

> it's the CC-2...thanks .75 it is...i'm sort of amazed. i have about
> 1200 miles on thius chain and it's only at .25... i thought htey wore
> faster than that

If clean, not cross chained, etc, they last like any chain, whether it
be 8s or 9s...10s wearing 'fast' is a myth.