Campy Ultra Torque Problem?

mseanschmidt

Aug 24, 2006
I have a brand new Seven ID8 with full Campy Record. I'm using the 2007 Campagnolo Record Ultra Torque Compact Carbon Crankset 50/34. I have about 700 miles on the bike since I got it in the Spring. This week I started to notice a suptle "gyroscopic" type feel which has gotten a little worse with each ride. I spent my entire ride today trying to trouble shoot the cause. I cannot feel when I'm coasting at any speed so I think that eliminates the tires, wheels, etc. I've narowed it down to when I'm putting a significant torque on the cranks. Maybe 200+ watts or so I begin feeling a "gyroscopic" whine from the cranks as I turn the pedals. I do not get this when I am just spinning at low watts, only with some significant force on the pedals.

Any idea what could be causing this???? I have a 135 mile event this Wednesday and I'm concerned I could have a mechanical problem. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

sogood said:
Who installed the crankset? Was it done properly?

It was done by one of Seven's premier retailers. The mechanic that did the build-up is very good. I posted this because their shop is closed on Monday and I wanted some input on what it might be since I can't take my bike in until Tuesday.

Everything has been PERFECT on the bike until last week when I started to notice this. It has got a little bit worse on each ride.

mseanschmidt said:
It was done by one of Seven's premier retailers. The mechanic that did the build-up is very good. I posted this because their shop is closed on Monday and I wanted some input on what it might be since I can't take my bike in until Tuesday.

Everything has been PERFECT on the bike until last week when I started to notice this. It has got a little bit worse on each ride.
Sometimes stuff loosens up during the initial miles, which is why many dealers tell you to bring the bike back after the first 500-1000 miles. If the dealer mechanic is competent, the problem should be correctly quickly. This is the right time to check headset and hub bearings and all fasteners. Shifter and brake cables may need to be adjusted at this 700 mile point as well.

For what you paid, the LBS should be more than happy to do the first maintenance check for you on a priority basis.