Campy Upgrade 8sp to 10sp?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Pete Dawson, Apr 1, 2003.

  1. Pete Dawson

    Pete Dawson Guest

    Hi,

    I'm thinking of upgrading my 1996 Campy 8sp to 10sp. I have read here that I have no need to change
    the cranks or chainrings. Is this true?

    I therefore presume that I need.... new levers, rear hub, derailleur (due to capacity and jockey
    wheel width), cassette and chain.

    Is this correct?

    I currently use SRAM chains with powerlink. Is there an equivalent to this for Campy 10 speed, I see
    prices for some special chain tool for Campy chains. What's the story there??

    Thanks for the help....

    Pete

    Tags:

  2. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    On Wed, 02 Apr 2003 09:47:45 +1200, Pete Dawson <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I'm thinking of upgrading my 1996 Campy 8sp to 10sp. I have read here that I have no need to change
    >the cranks or chainrings. Is this true?
    >
    >I therefore presume that I need.... new levers, rear hub, derailleur (due to capacity and jockey
    >wheel width), cassette and chain.
    >
    >Is this correct?
    >
    >I currently use SRAM chains with powerlink. Is there an equivalent to this for Campy 10 speed, I
    >see prices for some special chain tool for Campy chains. What's the story there??

    You may be surprised that just the shifters and a Shimano 9sp chain with Powerlink II will
    work fine.

    Consider going for 9sp only. You can use your existing hub and cassette by replacing the 8sp spacers
    with 2.5 mm spacers and adding one cog. I used a 12/23 and got a 26T cog. You'll shift Shimano 9 as
    well. When you need 10 sp, you can just replace the shift disk.

  3. Jeff Martin

    Jeff Martin Guest

    You can't go from 1996 8sp to any flavor of 10sp. The least you need are new levers, cassette and
    new chain. I use a Superlink III that comes in a green package for my chain, it works great. "Paul
    Kopit" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > On Wed, 02 Apr 2003 09:47:45 +1200, Pete Dawson <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Hi,
    > >
    > >I'm thinking of upgrading my 1996 Campy 8sp to 10sp. I have read here that I have no need to
    > >change the cranks or chainrings. Is this true?
    > >
    > >I therefore presume that I need.... new levers, rear hub, derailleur (due to capacity and jockey
    > >wheel width), cassette and chain.
    > >
    > >Is this correct?
    > >
    > >I currently use SRAM chains with powerlink. Is there an equivalent to this for Campy 10 speed, I
    > >see prices for some special chain tool for Campy chains. What's the story there??
    >
    > You may be surprised that just the shifters and a Shimano 9sp chain with Powerlink II will
    > work fine.
    >
    > Consider going for 9sp only. You can use your existing hub and cassette by replacing the 8sp
    > spacers with 2.5 mm spacers and adding one cog. I used a 12/23 and got a 26T cog. You'll shift
    > Shimano 9 as well. When you need 10 sp, you can just replace the shift disk.

  4. Peter-<< I'm thinking of upgrading my 1996 Campy 8sp to 10sp. I have read here that I have no need
    to change the cranks or chainrings. Is this true?

    Correct...the 10s chain will work fine with the present crank/rings, front and rear der(as long as
    they are not worn out)

    << I therefore presume that I need.... new levers, rear hub, derailleur (due to capacity and jockey
    wheel width), cassette and chain.

    New levers, convert the rear hub with a new freehub body, no need for a new rear der, 8s pulleys
    will work fine with the 10s chain as well, capacity is the same-uless you want a 13-29 10s casette,
    then a mid cage rear der...