Campy upgrade 8sp to triple 8sp?

Jette Jensen

Guest
Hi,

I have a Veloce 1996 8sp group and want to upgrade to a triple 8sp. I have a 2001 9sp rear
derailleur (it was impossible to get an 8sp rear derailleur), triple front derailleur, triple
crankset and a C9 chain.

According to Campy's homepage it is possible to use the old 8sp levers with the 9sp rear derailleur
and the old 8sp sprockets if I use the C9 chain. - But I cannot get the adjustment right - the chain
rattles on half of the sprockets no matter what I do. Do I have a problem with compability or?

Jette

On Sun, 6 Apr 2003 10:44:50 +0200, "Jette Jensen" <[email protected]> wrote:

>But I cannot get the adjustment right - the chain rattles on half of the sprockets no matter what I
>do. Do I have a problem with compability or?

It's not compatibility. Could be you installed the cable on the wrong side of the cable bolt on the
derailleur? You didn't cross thread the new derailleur when you put it in? What happens when you put
the old derailleur back in?

I set up a bicycle with 10 sp Record Ergo and an 8sp Record rear derailleur and it works fine too.

jvj-<< According to Campy's homepage it is possible to use the old 8sp levers with the 9sp rear
derailleur and the old 8sp sprockets if I use the C9 chain.

Not true, use the 9s rder, 8s levers, triple fder and 8s chain-this will work fine.

<< Do I have a problem with compability or?

cable mounted under the rder fixing bolt, under, not thru, the little plate by the fixing bolt??

If you have a 9s chain with 8s cogs, that also could be a problem, the 9s chain isn't thick enough.

Thanks guys!

I mounted the cable under the fixing bolt and now it works! No rattling, only the very pleasant
sound of a drivetrain working fine. I do look forward to using the really low combinations.

Jette

"Jette Jensen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
>
> I have a Veloce 1996 8sp group and want to upgrade to a triple 8sp. I have
> 2001 9sp rear derailleur (it was impossible to get an 8sp rear
derailleur),
> triple front derailleur, triple crankset and a C9 chain.
>
> According to Campy's homepage it is possible to use the old 8sp levers
with
> the 9sp rear derailleur and the old 8sp sprockets if I use the C9 chain. - But I cannot get the
> adjustment right - the chain rattles on half of the sprockets no matter what I do. Do I have a
> problem with compability or?

Ensure the derailleur is dead vertical and aligned to the frame. Double check for cable issues (
kinked wire, kinked casing, wrong or missing ferrules) and oil the gear wire. Make sure the first
shifter click is moving the changer to the second-highest cog. Those are common issues. Else,
everything you describe should shift fine.