Campy UT BB Cups

rplace13

Oct 30, 2007
I have been looking at Campy UT Bottom Bracket cups (english) for a crank I bought. For some reason I find the Super Record 11 speed cups (grey-ish color) cheaper than then older 10 speed silver cups. But some online adds mention to ONLY use them with an 11 speed crank. Others make no mention of that.

I was under the impression that all UT cranks no matter what model/speed used the same cups. Am I wrong?

Don't think it matters at all but the crank in question is a Centaur 10s aluminum UT crank on my commuter bike. Will the 11 speed SRecord cups work?

rplace13 said:
I have been looking at Campy UT Bottom Bracket cups (english) for a crank I bought. For some reason I find the Super Record 11 speed cups (grey-ish color) cheaper than then older 10 speed silver cups. But some online adds mention to ONLY use them with an 11 speed crank. Others make no mention of that.

I was under the impression that all UT cranks no matter what model/speed used the same cups. Am I wrong?

Don't think it matters at all but the crank in question is a Centaur 10s aluminum UT crank on my commuter bike. Will the 11 speed SRecord cups work?

SR cups, because of using ceramic bearings, don't have an interior seal in them. Yes, you can use SR cups with any UT crank and vice versa(SR crank with non SR cups).

Wow, thanks for the quick reply. How big a deal you think that internal seal is? My CF go fast bike I rarely ride in the rain, but the bike currently in question is my steel commuter and I do get caught in the rain from time to time. However, the crank was pretty cheap at $47 :eek: so perhaps worrying about a $10 difference in BB cups is not worth my time. Seal or no seal should I just go with cheapest?

rplace13 said:
Wow, thanks for the quick reply. How big a deal you think that internal seal is? My CF go fast bike I rarely ride in the rain, but the bike currently in question is my steel commuter and I do get caught in the rain from time to time. However, the crank was pretty cheap at $47 :eek: so perhaps worrying about a $10 difference in BB cups is not worth my time. Seal or no seal should I just go with cheapest?

I would use the one with the seal and gob a bunch of grease into the cups to boot. It's not particularly well sealed even with the 'seals'.