Campy UT Crankset Question

David Peake

Guest
Does the aluminum Centaur/Veloce UT crankset have that funky "campy only"
bolt pattern? Or is that reserved only for the carbon cranksets?

Thank you.

Bonjour,

David Peake a écrit :
> Does the aluminum Centaur/Veloce UT crankset have that funky "campy only"
> bolt pattern? Or is that reserved only for the carbon cranksets?

> Thank you.

Aïe !
BCD spécial Campagnolo is for the carbon only.
But, Centaur 2008 carbon is not compatible with chainrings TA
compatbles for ... Compact Campa ! :-(

--
Cordialement
Jean Pasquet

On Apr 13, 10:32 am, "David Peake" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Does the aluminum Centaur/Veloce UT crankset have that funky "campy only"
> bolt pattern?  Or is that reserved only for the carbon cranksets?
>
> Thank you.

Aluminum Campagnolo compact cranksets use 5 bolt 110mm chainrings.
Normal standard commonly available 110mm bcd rings. Carbon Campagnolo
compact cranksets use 5 bolt rings with 4 of them at 110mm bcd, and 1
at 112mm bcd. But Andrew Muzi had an article, pictures, advice on
using a normal 110mm ring on the carbon cranks. Just use a grinder,
frill bit, drill press, Dremel, etc. to ovalize one hole out to 112mm
and it will fit just fine. It does not have to be all that perfect of
enlargement of the fifth hole because the other 4 holes are perfectly
lined up. About the only thing you could not do is fit the TA 33
tooth ring to the carbon cranks because I doubt there would be enough
room to enlarge the one hole since you would likely be into the teeth
with that extra 2 mm.

Bonjour,

[email protected] a écrit :
> On Apr 13, 10:32 am, "David Peake" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Does the aluminum Centaur/Veloce UT crankset have that funky "campy only"
>> bolt pattern?  Or is that reserved only for the carbon cranksets?

> Aluminum Campagnolo compact cranksets use 5 bolt 110mm chainrings.
> Normal standard commonly available 110mm bcd rings. Carbon Campagnolo
> compact cranksets use 5 bolt rings with 4 of them at 110mm bcd, and 1
> at 112mm bcd. But Andrew Muzi had an article, pictures, advice on
> using a normal 110mm ring on the carbon cranks. Just use a grinder,
> frill bit, drill press, Dremel, etc. to ovalize one hole out to 112mm
> and it will fit just fine. It does not have to be all that perfect of
> enlargement of the fifth hole because the other 4 holes are perfectly
> lined up. About the only thing you could not do is fit the TA 33
> tooth ring to the carbon cranks because I doubt there would be enough
> room to enlarge the one hole since you would likely be into the teeth
> with that extra 2 mm.

TA made the compatible rings for Campagnolo Carbon Compact : "Nerius",
which hold count of special BCD Campagnolo.
But not available for Centaur carbon !

--
Cordialement
Jean Pasquet
[On respecte un homme qui se respecte lui-même] Honoré de Balzac
(pour réponse, remettre les 3 voyelles de mon nom)

On Apr 14, 6:41 am, "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Apr 13, 10:32 am, "David Peake" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Does the aluminum Centaur/Veloce UT crankset have that funky "campy only"
> > bolt pattern? Or is that reserved only for the carbon cranksets?

> > Thank you.

> Aluminum Campagnolo compact cranksets use 5 bolt 110mm chainrings.
> Normal standard commonly available 110mm bcd rings. Carbon Campagnolo
> compact cranksets use 5 bolt rings with 4 of them at 110mm bcd, and 1
> at 112mm bcd. But Andrew Muzi had an article, pictures, advice on
> using a normal 110mm ring on the carbon cranks. Just use a grinder,
> frill bit, drill press, Dremel, etc. to ovalize one hole out to 112mm
> and it will fit just fine. It does not have to be all that perfect of
> enlargement of the fifth hole because the other 4 holes are perfectly
> lined up. About the only thing you could not do is fit the TA 33
> tooth ring to the carbon cranks because I doubt there would be enough
> room to enlarge the one hole since you would likely be into the teeth
> with that extra 2 mm.

Aluminum UT CT cranks also use the 110/112 BCD.

Bonjour,

Hank a écrit :
> On Apr 14, 6:41 am, "[email protected]"
>
>> Aluminum Campagnolo compact cranksets use 5 bolt 110mm chainrings.
>> Normal standard commonly available 110mm bcd rings. Carbon Campagnolo
>> compact cranksets use 5 bolt rings with 4 of them at 110mm bcd, and 1
>> at 112mm bcd. But Andrew Muzi had an article, pictures, advice on
>> using a normal 110mm ring on the carbon cranks. Just use a grinder,
>> frill bit, drill press, Dremel, etc. to ovalize one hole out to 112mm
>> and it will fit just fine. It does not have to be all that perfect of
>> enlargement of the fifth hole because the other 4 holes are perfectly
>> lined up. About the only thing you could not do is fit the TA 33
>> tooth ring to the carbon cranks because I doubt there would be enough
>> room to enlarge the one hole since you would likely be into the teeth
>> with that extra 2 mm.

> Aluminum UT CT cranks also use the 110/112 BCD.

Oh !?
I am not sure there.
For me, in alu, it is a Standard 110 BCD

--

On Apr 15, 9:07 am, Jean Pasquet <[email protected]> wrote:
> Bonjour,
>
> Hank a écrit :
>
> > On Apr 14, 6:41 am, "[email protected]"

> >> Aluminum Campagnolo compact cranksets use 5 bolt 110mm chainrings.
> >> Normal standard commonly available 110mm bcd rings. Carbon Campagnolo
> >> compact cranksets use 5 bolt rings with 4 of them at 110mm bcd, and 1
> >> at 112mm bcd. But Andrew Muzi had an article, pictures, advice on
> >> using a normal 110mm ring on the carbon cranks. Just use a grinder,
> >> frill bit, drill press, Dremel, etc. to ovalize one hole out to 112mm
> >> and it will fit just fine. It does not have to be all that perfect of
> >> enlargement of the fifth hole because the other 4 holes are perfectly
> >> lined up. About the only thing you could not do is fit the TA 33
> >> tooth ring to the carbon cranks because I doubt there would be enough
> >> room to enlarge the one hole since you would likely be into the teeth
> >> with that extra 2 mm.

> > Aluminum UT CT cranks also use the 110/112 BCD.

> Oh !?
> I am not sure there.
> For me, in alu, it is a Standard 110 BCD

No, sorry, it is not. I am sure of this, and I have proof.

Behold the following:
http://photobucket.com/albums/gg122/hankamania/UT crank/DSCN0240.jpg

This is a brand-new Centaur CT UT crank I got in the mail today. The
chainring nuts and the head of the hidden bolt are the same size, I
believe 11mm. See how much closer the hidden bolt is to the teeth than
the nut? It's 2mm closer.

The determiner of the odd BCD is not the crank material, but the
position of the spider arms. Prior to 2007, the only Campy compact
cranks with the hidden bolt were made of carbon, so it held true that
the material was a guide. But with the introduction of UT, all compact
cranks except Xenon (which is still Square Taper) now have the hidden
bolt, and therefore the 110/112 BCD. Material is immaterial, you might
say.

Bonjour,

Hank a écrit :
> On Apr 15, 9:07 am, Jean Pasquet <[email protected]> wrote:

>> Oh !?
>> I am not sure there.
>> For me, in alu, it is a Standard 110 BCD

> No, sorry, it is not. I am sure of this, and I have proof.

> Behold the following:
> http://photobucket.com/albums/gg122/hankamania/UT crank/DSCN0240.jpg

> This is a brand-new Centaur CT UT crank I got in the mail today. The
> chainring nuts and the head of the hidden bolt are the same size, I
> believe 11mm. See how much closer the hidden bolt is to the teeth than
> the nut? It's 2mm closer.

> The determiner of the odd BCD is not the crank material, but the
> position of the spider arms. Prior to 2007, the only Campy compact
> cranks with the hidden bolt were made of carbon, so it held true that
> the material was a guide. But with the introduction of UT, all compact
> cranks except Xenon (which is still Square Taper) now have the hidden
> bolt, and therefore the 110/112 BCD. Material is immaterial, you might
> say.

Yes !
The photo leaves no doubt on this point. But what is it according to
the date of exit?
Centaur is a supporting particular case!
BCD and thickness of trays differ.
Even the compatible TA Nerius (BCD 110 + 112) am not adapted!
But it seems to me well that Compact of origin were in standard BCD.
Anyhow, now, everything Campagnolo Compact alu and carbon seems to be
in BCD 110 + 112!
Fulcrum also.
I do not know if it is a good commercial choice.

--

On Apr 19, 12:18 am, Jean Pasquet <[email protected]> wrote:
> Bonjour,
>
> Hank a écrit :
>

> > On Apr 15, 9:07 am, Jean Pasquet <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> Oh !?
> >> I am not sure there.
> >> For me, in alu, it is a Standard 110 BCD

> > No, sorry, it is not. I am sure of this, and I have proof.
> > Behold the following:
> >http://photobucket.com/albums/gg122/hankamania/UT crank/DSCN0240.jpg
> > This is a brand-new Centaur CT UT crank I got in the mail today. The
> > chainring nuts and the head of the hidden bolt are the same size, I
> > believe 11mm. See how much closer the hidden bolt is to the teeth than
> > the nut? It's 2mm closer.
> > The determiner of the odd BCD is not the crank material, but the
> > position of the spider arms. Prior to 2007, the only Campy compact
> > cranks with the hidden bolt were made of carbon, so it held true that
> > the material was a guide. But with the introduction of UT, all compact
> > cranks except Xenon (which is still Square Taper) now have the hidden
> > bolt, and therefore the 110/112 BCD. Material is immaterial, you might
> > say.

> Yes !
> The photo leaves no doubt on this point. But what is it according to
> the date of exit?
> Centaur is a supporting particular case!
> BCD and thickness of trays differ.
> Even the compatible TA Nerius (BCD 110 + 112) am not adapted!
> But it seems to me well that Compact of origin were in standard BCD.
> Anyhow, now, everything Campagnolo Compact alu and carbon seems to be
> in BCD 110 + 112!
> Fulcrum also.
> I do not know if it is a good commercial choice.
>
> --
> Cordialement
> Jean Pasquet
> [On respecte un homme qui se respecte lui-même] Honoré de Balzac
> (pour réponse, remettre les 3 voyelles de mon nom)

It changed in 2007 with the introduction of Ultra-Torque (UT), which
was what the original poster was asking about.

You are correct that the original aluminum compact Campy cranks were
regular 110mm - I have one of those, too - but that wasn't the
original poster's question.

Bonjour,

Hank a écrit :

> It changed in 2007 with the introduction of Ultra-Torque (UT), which
> was what the original poster was asking about.

> You are correct that the original aluminum compact Campy cranks were
> regular 110mm - I have one of those, too - but that wasn't the
> original poster's question.

OK for 2007.
Therefore, now, all cranks Campagnolo Compact are in 100/112.
But, rings for Centaur 2008 and Chorus therefore have to differ in form
and no compatibles!
Thank you !

--

Jean Pasquet wrote:
> Bonjour,
>
> Hank a écrit :
>
>> It changed in 2007 with the introduction of Ultra-Torque (UT), which
>> was what the original poster was asking about.

>> You are correct that the original aluminum compact Campy cranks were
>> regular 110mm - I have one of those, too - but that wasn't the
>> original poster's question.

> OK for 2007.
> Therefore, now, all cranks Campagnolo Compact are in 100/112.
> But, rings for Centaur 2008 and Chorus therefore have to differ in form
> and no compatibles!
> Thank you !

And I thought only Shimano designed in incompatibility with existing
standards!

On Apr 13, 9:32 am, "David Peake" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Does the aluminum Centaur/Veloce UT crankset have that funky "campy only"
> bolt pattern?  Or is that reserved only for the carbon cranksets?
>
> Thank you.

Starting in 2007, all Campag double cranks are UT and hidden bolt and
all are the 110/112 BCD type. TA does make chainrings in this pattern,
BTW.

Bonjour,

Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com a écrit :
> On Apr 13, 9:32 am, "David Peake" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Does the aluminum Centaur/Veloce UT crankset have that funky "campy only"
>> bolt pattern?  Or is that reserved only for the carbon cranksets?

> Starting in 2007, all Campag double cranks are UT and hidden bolt and
> all are the 110/112 BCD type. TA does make chainrings in this pattern,
> BTW.

Yes
Chainrings in BCD 110/112 are TA Nerius, Campagnolo only.
But not Centaur !

--
Cordialement
Jean Pasquet
[On respecte un homme qui se respecte lui-même] Honoré de Balzac
(pour réponse, remettre les 3 voyelles de mon nom)

On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 06:24:15 -0700 (PDT), "Qui si parla
Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com" <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Apr 13, 9:32 am, "David Peake" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Does the aluminum Centaur/Veloce UT crankset have that funky "campy only"
>> bolt pattern?  Or is that reserved only for the carbon cranksets?
>>
>> Thank you.

>Starting in 2007, all Campag double cranks are UT and hidden bolt and
>all are the 110/112 BCD type. TA does make chainrings in this pattern,
>BTW.

Dear Peter,

Good to see you again!

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

On Apr 19, 12:15 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 06:24:15 -0700 (PDT), "Qui si parla
>
> Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >On Apr 13, 9:32 am, "David Peake" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> Does the aluminum Centaur/Veloce UT crankset have that funky "campy only"
> >> bolt pattern?  Or is that reserved only for the carbon cranksets?

> >> Thank you.

> >Starting in 2007, all Campag double cranks are UT and hidden bolt and
> >all are the 110/112 BCD type. TA does make chainrings in this pattern,
> >BTW.

> Dear Peter,
>
> Good to see you again!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Carl Fogel

Test..we'll see what happens..For Mr Pasquet..'not Centaur', not sure
what you mean as these TA rings will fit onto any 2007/8 Campag UT CT
crank, including Centaur carbon and aluminum and Veloce and Mirage.

Bonjour,

Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com a écrit :

> Test..we'll see what happens..For Mr Pasquet..'not Centaur', not sure
> what you mean as these TA rings will fit onto any 2007/8 Campag UT CT
> crank, including Centaur carbon and aluminum and Veloce and Mirage.

Centaur and underneath for 2008 has chainrings problem of which is at
the level of the thickness. Problem of fall of the chain between rings.
Otherwise, BCD 110/112 is good.

Record and Chorus work fine with TA Nerius.