Campy Veloce 10 speed Newb Adjustment Questions.....

biker7

Oct 15, 2004
Gang,
As mentioned, I have a new Campy Veloce 10 speed driveline on my new bike. Am trying to adjust it an get through the early cable stretch break in. Have a question about how the brifters work. In particular I find the front derailleur a bit perplexing because I have never seen the inside of a Campy shifter. With my front derailleur which is for a triple chainring...it takes double clicks to each climb or drop down one chain ring. It seems like and would appreciate a comfirmation, that I can click a total of 4 times total for the front derailleur. Starting at the smallest chainring...double click the LH lever and up to the middle ring...double click the LH lever again and up to the top ring. Visually the FD moves what appears to be laterally half the distance between chain rings for each click which makes sense because it takes two clicks to climb one ring. It also takes 2 thumb clicks to move down a ring. My question is...is double clicking the way the FD is supposed to work for each chain ring gear change? Further, how many clicks are there total in the left brifter for the FD?...frankly surprised there are more than two clicks total displacement in the LH brifter for the FD.

Contrast that with the rear derailleur and one click on the RH Campy lever moves the chain up one cog. So in the rear its one for one. Lastly...how many total clicks are available on the RH brifter by comparison to the left hand?...are there 9 clicks available?..or more?...it is a 10 speed rear.
Thanks for any advice,
George

There should be about 12 clicks on the left shifter. The idea is to make it function more like an old friction shifter and allow you to make small adjustments to the FD possition to keep the cage from rubbing the chain as you shift across the back.

biker7 said:
Gang,
As mentioned, I have a new Campy Veloce 10 speed driveline on my new bike. Am trying to adjust it an get through the early cable stretch break in. Have a question about how the brifters work. In particular I find the front derailleur a bit perplexing because I have never seen the inside of a Campy shifter. With my front derailleur which is for a triple chainring...it takes double clicks to each climb or drop down one chain ring. It seems like and would appreciate a comfirmation, that I can click a total of 4 times total for the front derailleur. Starting at the smallest chainring...double click the LH lever and up to the middle ring...double click the LH lever again and up to the top ring. Visually the FD moves what appears to be laterally half the distance between chain rings for each click which makes sense because it takes two clicks to climb one ring. It also takes 2 thumb clicks to move down a ring. My question is...is double clicking the way the FD is supposed to work for each chain ring gear change? Further, how many clicks are there total in the left brifter for the FD?...frankly surprised there are more than two clicks total displacement in the LH brifter for the FD.

Contrast that with the rear derailleur and one click on the RH Campy lever moves the chain up one cog. So in the rear its one for one. Lastly...how many total clicks are available on the RH brifter by comparison to the left hand?...are there 9 clicks available?..or more?...it is a 10 speed rear.
Thanks for any advice,
George
The front shifter has got a fine ratchet in it.The clicks are in part used as much for trimming the FD as for shifting chainrings.That is just the way it is with campy.

Thanks Guys,
Taking a bit deeper dive, has anybody ever compared the two rachets for the Left and Right hand campy brifters? It is possible they are the same diameter and have the same no. of detents and hence clicks. Art you mentioned the LH brifter has about twelve clicks...what about the RH brifter for the rear derailleur?...know it has at least 9 click to work 10 gears...does the RH brifter have 12 clicks as well? The reason I mention the rachet dia. and no. of detents may be the same is it seems to take two clicks of the LH brifter to move one chain ring. If you look at the chainrings, they are spaced almost twice as far apart as rear cog spacing...so the rachets internal to each Campy brifter may be same.
Thoughts?
George

I'm guessing the ratchets are the same size but don't have the same number of detents. The left ratchets are all the same, but the one on the right is specific to nine or ten speed.

biker7 said:
Thanks Guys,
Taking a bit deeper dive, has anybody ever compared the two rachets for the Left and Right hand campy brifters? It is possible they are the same diameter and have the same no. of detents and hence clicks. Art you mentioned the LH brifter has about twelve clicks...what about the RH brifter for the rear derailleur?...know it has at least 9 click to work 10 gears...does the RH brifter have 12 clicks as well? The reason I mention the rachet dia. and no. of detents may be the same is it seems to take two clicks of the LH brifter to move one chain ring. If you look at the chainrings, they are spaced almost twice as far apart as rear cog spacing...so the rachets internal to each Campy brifter may be same.
Thoughts?
George
What difference does it really make? It's totally irrevalent to adjusting campy stuff to work as it should, and hasn't kept me up nights worrying about the inner working of either campy or shimano shifters.

Likely a good call Art as I heard a ratchet change is in order with the RH brifter if you upgrade from 9 to 10 speeds which makes sense because cog spacing is a bit closer with the 10 speed. Any idea the max no. of clicks allowed with a 10 speed in the rear? A last thought is the brifter seems to know when you are max'ed out at full tension/cable travel inward as I presume the ratchet is fully coiled and you get more lever displacement as a telltale. Having more clicks than you need takes some precision out of cable tension adjustment as you could adjust for one tooth off and still have enough clicks to cover all gears up and down...why I asked.
George

biker7 said:
Likely a good call Art as I heard a ratchet change is in order with the RH brifter if you upgrade from 9 to 10 speeds which makes sense because cog spacing is a bit closer with the 10 speed. Any idea the max no. of clicks allowed with a 10 speed in the rear?
I think you answered your own question there. In addition to the differt spacing, the right side ratchets have the same number of detents as gears they are meant to shift.

biker7 said:
Likely a good call Art as I heard a ratchet change is in order with the RH brifter if you upgrade from 9 to 10 speeds which makes sense because cog spacing is a bit closer with the 10 speed. Any idea the max no. of clicks allowed with a 10 speed in the rear? A last thought is the brifter seems to know when you are max'ed out at full tension/cable travel inward as I presume the ratchet is fully coiled and you get more lever displacement as a telltale. Having more clicks than you need takes some precision out of cable tension adjustment as you could adjust for one tooth off and still have enough clicks to cover all gears up and down...why I asked.
George
D'oh? Is there such a thing as over analyzing something and still coming up bankrupt?

I can respond to your put downs which are purely a mirror for your shame...but I won't...its what you want. Your outbursts are a cry for help boudreaux. Your anger is only a testiment to your self disgust. I told you to try and turn it around and break the viscous cycle of self hatred by being nice to others.
You have a lot to offer as you know a fair amount about bikes. Why ruin it with your repeated bitterness? I am sure you don't even know why you got angry this time. Simply put, you felt inadequate which BTW is OK...we all do at times. You couldn't answer my precise question and to rationalize it, you sluffed it off as it doesn't matter. Well it does. Campy Ergo brifters are rebuildable and if knew how to rebuild one, which you don't, my questions that you couldn't answer, would be elementary.
Try to accept yourself and all you have to offer this board...which is a lot.
I wish you well.
George

biker7 said:
I can respond to your put downs which are purely a mirror for your shame...but I won't...its what you want. Your outbursts are a cry for help boudreaux. Your anger is only a testiment to your self disgust. I told you to try and turn it around and break the viscous cycle of self hatred by being nice to others.
You have a lot to offer as you know a fair amount about bikes. Why ruin it with your repeated bitterness? I am sure you don't even know why you got angry this time. Simply put, you felt inadequate which BTW is OK...we all do at times. You couldn't answer my precise question and to rationalize it, you sluffed it off as it doesn't matter. Well it does. Campy Ergo brifters are rebuildable and if knew how to rebuild one, which you don't, my questions that you couldn't answer, would be elementary.
Try to accept yourself and all you have to offer this board...which is a lot.
I wish you well.
George
Not that I couldn't Georgie. Just did not feel like going to the junk boxes,digging out the parts and counting.AFWIW, I have rebuilt campy shifters, but have never suffered parayalsis from over analysis syndrome, so don't have much of a spot for it.....Continue practicing the Dr. Phil internet shrink act.I see an Oprah appearance in your future. :D

I don't like playing the internet shrink. You have no idea what paralysis due to analysis is as you have never designed anything. But I have...what I do for a living.
George

biker7 said:
I don't like playing the internet shrink. You have no idea what paralysis due to analysis is as you have never designed anything. But I have...what I do for a living.
George
Sure you do.But your do it poorly.Sure I have. How would you possibly know otherwise. Do you know what I do/did for a living? BTW, do you actually ride a bike or just anyalyze it to death? And where did you buy that lame crystal ball? ;) :D

In spite of background noise from the board troll with little value added, the answer is 13 clicks for the LH brifter and 9 clicks for 10 speed RH brifter. Ratchet diameters are the same with different detent spacing and less cable pull per click with the LH brifter/FD.

Here is a great link if anybody is interested in rebuilding their tired Campy Ergo Brifter(s):

http://www.yellowjersey.org/ergo1.html

Enjoy,
George