campy veloce triple fder problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

George

I'm building up a bike with a full campy veloce triple group, but having problems setting up the
fder; it won't swing out far enough to shift to the big ring, even with the limit screws all the way
out. I've tried taking the cable off and moving the fder by hand so I know it's not a cable tension
issue. If I move the chain onto the big ring by hand it rubs slightly on the resin insert in the
highest gears.

Any ideas what the problem may be? I bought the groupset mail order and it all came in unmarked
bags, is it possible I've been given a double fder instead? The fder is marked centaur which is
right for the veloce triple group, but I know the shop already messed up by giving me the wrong
length BB so anything's possible! Would a double fder give me these problems? The only identifiying
marks I can see on the fder are an 'A3' stamped on the back of the clamp body, and '7 28.6 A' on the
inside of the clamp. (it's a 28.6mm dia clamp on obviously). Any idea how to tell the difference
between a double and triple centaur fder?

Otherwise, any other ideas what could be causing this problem?

Many thanks,

George

gwallis-<< it won't swing out far enough to shift to the big ring, even with the limit screws all
the way out.

<< The fder is marked centaur which is right for the veloce triple group,

<< onto the big ring by hand it rubs slightly on the resin insert in the highest gears.

If it has the insert it is indeed a double front der...OBTW-Campagnolo makes a Veloce triple
front der.

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

"George" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm building up a bike with a full campy veloce triple group, but having problems setting up the
> fder; it won't swing out far enough to shift to the big ring, even with the limit screws all the
> way out. I've tried taking the cable off and moving the fder by hand so I know it's not a cable
> tension issue. If I move the chain onto the big ring by hand it rubs slightly on the resin insert
> in the highest gears.
>
> Any ideas what the problem may be? I bought the groupset mail order and it all came in unmarked
> bags, is it possible I've been given a double fder instead? The fder is marked centaur which is
> right for the veloce triple group, but I know the shop already messed up by giving me the wrong
> length BB so anything's possible! Would a double fder give me these problems? The only
> identifiying marks I can see on the fder are an 'A3' stamped on the back of the clamp body, and '7
> 28.6 A' on the inside of the clamp. (it's a 28.6mm dia clamp on obviously). Any idea how to tell
> the difference between a double and triple centaur fder?
>
> Otherwise, any other ideas what could be causing this problem?

The difference between a double and a triple isn't the range of lateral movement - that's nearly
identical. The difference is in the height of the cage. A double changer's cage doesn't droop low
enough to acomodate both a 53 and a 30.

Get your head between the crank and the front hub and sight between the rings. You should be looking
at the center of the cassette. If your spindle is too long, the crank will be outboard more than
necessary and the changer will not move far enough to the right.

--
Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

Status
Not open for further replies.