Campy Wheel on Shimano Bike

Steve Sloan

Guest
BlankI have a 9 speed Campy wheel set that is much more aero than any of my Shimano wheels. The ONLY
time I want to mount these wheels is during our bike clubs rare time trials. (Note: I need all the
help I can get.)

:)

It mostly sorta works almost great. But I remember hearing that somebody makes a set of replacement
spacers that I can use with the rear wheel to correctly space the cogs for Shimano. Can anybody help
with more info?

Thanks a lot!

Steve Sloan [email protected]

In article <[email protected]>, Steve Sloan <[email protected]> wrote:
>BlankI have a 9 speed Campy wheel set that is much more aero than any of my Shimano wheels. The
>ONLY time I want to mount these wheels is during our bike clubs rare time trials. (Note: I need all
>the help I can get.)
>
>:)
>
>It mostly sorta works almost great. But I remember hearing that somebody makes a set of replacement
>spacers that I can use with the rear wheel to correctly space the cogs for Shimano. Can anybody
>help with more info?

Wheels Manufacturing makes a kit called the SHIFT-7 spacer set which can be used to turn a loose-cog
Campy cassette (for example, Veloce, but not Record or Chorus) into 9s Shimano. Any bike shop can
order the Wheels spacer set. The 9s Veloce cassette is sometimes hard to find in some sizes. I
bought two 13-28 Veloce clusters from Nashbar for $32 each last time, I think that is a fair deal
and I think they still have them in stock. Several other vendors could not obtain product.

You can also try to meticulously service your drivetrain - new slick cables, light lubricant,
checking friction at each stop, lube derailleur, new chain, correct chainline, and then adjust so
that the derailleur cog centers best when it's in the middle of the cluster. With some care, you can
sometimes obtain satisfactory results without respacing the cluster since they are quite close to
the same. If any part of the system is marginal then you lose. If it doesn't work great, you can
adjust out a few cogs (restrict derailleur range of motion) and have it shift over a smaller
distance, centered in the middle of the available cogs - usually improves as you shrink the total
distance it moves. No skipping & jumping should be tolerated.

--Paul

You shouldn't really have to do anything special. As far as I can determine based on replies on this
newsgroup (I don't actually own a Campy wheelset) that the Campy 9 and Shimano 9 spacing is close
enough that it shouldn't matter.

Try it and see. You may be pleasantly surprised that you don't have to go spending a lot more $$
unless you really want to.

Mike "Paul Southworth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:2OiZ9.30748$A%[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, Steve Sloan <[email protected]> wrote:
> >BlankI have a 9 speed Campy wheel set that is much more aero than any of
my
> >Shimano wheels. The ONLY time I want to mount these wheels is during our bike clubs rare time
> >trials. (Note: I need all the help I can get.)
> >
> >:)
> >
> >It mostly sorta works almost great. But I remember hearing that somebody makes a set of
> >replacement spacers that I can use with the rear wheel to correctly space the cogs for Shimano.
> >Can anybody help with more info?
>
> Wheels Manufacturing makes a kit called the SHIFT-7 spacer set which can be used to turn a
> loose-cog Campy cassette (for example, Veloce, but not Record or Chorus) into 9s Shimano. Any bike
> shop can order the Wheels spacer set. The 9s Veloce cassette is sometimes hard to find in some
> sizes. I bought two 13-28 Veloce clusters from Nashbar for $32 each last time, I think that is a
> fair deal and I think they still have them in stock. Several other vendors could not obtain
> product.
>
> You can also try to meticulously service your drivetrain - new slick cables, light lubricant,
> checking friction at each stop, lube derailleur, new chain, correct chainline, and then adjust so
> that the derailleur cog centers best when it's in the middle of the cluster. With some care, you
> can sometimes obtain satisfactory results without respacing the cluster since they are quite close
> to the same. If any part of the system is marginal then you lose. If it doesn't work great, you
> can adjust out a few cogs (restrict derailleur range of motion) and have it shift over a smaller
> distance, centered in the middle of the available cogs - usually improves as you shrink the total
> distance it moves. No skipping & jumping should be tolerated.
>
> --Paul

Wheels Manufacturing.

"Steve Sloan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> BlankI have a 9 speed Campy wheel set that is much more aero than any of
my
> Shimano wheels. The ONLY time I want to mount these wheels is during our bike clubs rare time
> trials. (Note: I need all the help I can get.)
>
> :)
>
> It mostly sorta works almost great. But I remember hearing that somebody makes a set of
> replacement spacers that I can use with the rear wheel to correctly space the cogs for Shimano.
> Can anybody help with more info?

Marchisio makes this kind of adapters to fit a Shimano cassette on a Campy body and vice versa.

"Steve Sloan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> BlankI have a 9 speed Campy wheel set that is much more aero than any of
my
> Shimano wheels. The ONLY time I want to mount these wheels is during our bike clubs rare time
> trials. (Note: I need all the help I can get.)
>
> :)
>
> It mostly sorta works almost great. But I remember hearing that somebody makes a set of
> replacement spacers that I can use with the rear wheel to correctly space the cogs for Shimano.
> Can anybody help with more info?
>
> Thanks a lot!
>
> Steve Sloan [email protected]

steve-<< I have a 9 speed Campy wheel set that is much more aero than any of my Shimano wheels. The
ONLY time I want to mount these wheels is during our bike clubs rare time trials. (Note: I need all
the help I can get.)

just put it on, perhaps adjust the rder-and go ride-

In article <[email protected]>, Steve Sloan <[email protected]> wrote:
>Putting it on and trying it was the first thing I tried. Yes, it kinda, sorta, mostly
>worked---except for the occasional chain jump. I will try the Wheels Manufacturing solution! I want
>to be able to switch wheels without having to do a major der adjustment each time.

There is no guarantee that distance from cog #1 to the derailleur on your Shimano wheel will end up
the as on the Campy wheel with the spacer kit - the spacer kit only tells you that the distance from
cog #1 to cog #9 is the same between two clusters. Because of this, derailleur adjustment should be
expected even if you respace it - it just might be a little easier to adjust after respacing, and
tolerate maladjustment a little better without misshifting.

--Paul

Putting it on and trying it was the first thing I tried. Yes, it kinda, sorta, mostly
worked---except for the occasional chain jump. I will try the Wheels Manufacturing solution! I want
to be able to switch wheels without having to do a major der adjustment each time.

Thanks everybody for the input!

--Steve

On 29 Jan 2003 14:44:56 GMT, [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote:

>steve-<< Putting it on and trying it was the first thing I tried. Yes, it kinda, sorta, mostly
>worked---except for the occasional chain jump.
>
>We use shimano drivetrains and Campagnolo 9s wheels and vice versa all the time with great results,
>w/o any spacer help-I think something else is amiss..

I had a conversation about compatibility with 9s across manufacturers yesterday with the dudes at
the LBS and they all thought I was crazy. They broke out the QBP catalog and started examining the
cog and spacer settings for Shimano and Campy and getting crazy.

I guess I'll have to bring in my bike with Campy drivetrain and a Shimano cassette and see if they
think it shifts poorly. :)

--
Scott Johnson "Always with the excuses for small legs. People like you are why they only open the
top half of caskets." -Tommy Bowen

"Steve Sloan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> BlankI have a 9 speed Campy wheel set that is much more aero than any of my Shimano wheels. The
> ONLY time I want to mount these wheels is during our bike clubs rare time trials. (Note: I need
> all the help I can get.)

You do realize that your body is the biggest aero drag by far right? When you can ride with your
saddle 6" - 8" above your handlebar, then you can talk about needing aero wheels.

Thanks Richard for your valuable input. I stand corrected!

Would everybody please correct the part of my previous Email where I said, "(Note: I need all the
help I can get.)" To read:

(Note: I WANT all the help I can get. Even if it's just a little bit of extra confidence from
thinking something as pointless and silly as changing wheelsets to something a little more aero
might make a wee bit of a difference.)

Have fun on your next ride!

--Steve

news:[email protected]...