Campy Zonda wheels and Vittoria Diamante Pro's

Rick_G

Jul 30, 2006
My wife and I bought a pair of new Orbea's with Campy Vento wheels a month ago. We LOVE 'em! We're riding 4 days a week and man these bikes are sweet.

Yet as much as I love the bikes, I'd still like to get a bit more out of the wheels. I've always ridden on sew-ups with super light rims. And I've always been of the opinion that what touches the road is what contributes most greatly to the ride. In other words, wheels matter a lot, whereas the seatpost weight matters very little.

When I put the component group together, I went with the Vento wheels because they're awesome for the price. But I decided to swap out the wheels while they were young enough to have good value. We're enjoying riding so much, I want these bikes to see their potential!

I did a lot of research online and decided to move up the Campy Zonda wheelset. From everything I've heard, they're great wheels. They look AWESOME. They have Record bearings, bladed spokes, G3 spoking on the rear - radial on the front, and they're fairly light. The reviews are excellent.

Any feedback from people riding the Zondas?

My bike came with Michelin Carbon's and my wife's came with Michelin Speedium's - I think the tires could be improved too. So I also decided to go with the Vittoria Diamante Pro tires along with the new wheels. I road on a lot of Vittoria tubular tires back in the day, and I always liked them a lot. So I'm hoping I'll like the Diamante Pro's too.

Any feedback on the Diamante Pro's? (BTW these aren't the Pro Light)

Does this sound like a good combination for our everyday ride?

Thanks!

I can't speak highly enough about the Zonda's. Overall, they have to be the "sleeper" of the Campy line of wheels. Fantastic all around wheel, especially for climbing here in Colorado even though it's not the lightest at 1,610 gms with out skewers. Price wise, over the Eurus, they are a better deal for just a few more grams weight. The Zonda's spin up quickly and really speed demons on descents. I have about 3K miles and have not had and truing issues. Tire wise, I run them with Veloflex Pave's. The Pave's "in my opinion" are hard to beat though they are not the best tires for wear. They are extremely light and supple. There is something special about hand made Italian tires. I agree about good tires and don't skimp and change them before they are worn too much. :)

P.S. Picked up mine at a great price at CBike @ http://www.cbike.com/

Rick_G said:
My wife and I bought a pair of new Orbea's with Campy Vento wheels a month ago. We LOVE 'em! We're riding 4 days a week and man these bikes are sweet.

Yet as much as I love the bikes, I'd still like to get a bit more out of the wheels. I've always ridden on sew-ups with super light rims. And I've always been of the opinion that what touches the road is what contributes most greatly to the ride. In other words, wheels matter a lot, whereas the seatpost weight matters very little.

When I put the component group together, I went with the Vento wheels because they're awesome for the price. But I decided to swap out the wheels while they were young enough to have good value. We're enjoying riding so much, I want these bikes to see their potential!

I did a lot of research online and decided to move up the Campy Zonda wheelset. From everything I've heard, they're great wheels. They look AWESOME. They have Record bearings, bladed spokes, G3 spoking on the rear - radial on the front, and they're fairly light. The reviews are excellent.

Any feedback from people riding the Zondas?

My bike came with Michelin Carbon's and my wife's came with Michelin Speedium's - I think the tires could be improved too. So I also decided to go with the Vittoria Diamante Pro tires along with the new wheels. I road on a lot of Vittoria tubular tires back in the day, and I always liked them a lot. So I'm hoping I'll like the Diamante Pro's too.

Any feedback on the Diamante Pro's? (BTW these aren't the Pro Light)

Does this sound like a good combination for our everyday ride?

Thanks!

Well we picked up the new wheels yesterday. Man they are gorgeous! Went for a 17 mile ride this morning. These wheels are delicous! The Zondas are much nicer than the Ventos. The tires are probably contributing to the improved ride too.

The new wheels make the bikes feel lighter. You can immediately tell that they roll nicer. They feel much more responsive. And the steering is quicker on the front wheel. They accelerate more quickly as they get up to speed. My average time was faster on the second half of my ride. They climb well, and they descend like they're on fire. I couldn't be happier with this upgrade!

Here's some pics of our bikes with the Zondas...

My Orbea Spirit-Carbon with Campy Zonda Wheelset and Veloce Group
black.jpg

black-front.jpg

black-rear.jpg

black-stays.jpg

My Wife's Orbea Spirit-Carbon with Campy Zonda Wheelset and Veloce Group
blue.jpg

blue-front.jpg

blue-rear.jpg

blue-stays.jpg

We're all smiles!
:):):):):):):):)

Sweet looking rides! Great choice on the Zonda's!

:) :) :) :) :) :)

Rick_G said:
Well we picked up the new wheels yesterday. Man they are gorgeous! Went for a 17 mile ride this morning. These wheels are delicous! The Zondas are much nicer than the Ventos. The tires are probably contributing to the improved ride too.

The new wheels make the bikes feel lighter. You can immediately tell that they roll nicer. They feel much more responsive. And the steering is quicker on the front wheel. They accelerate more quickly as they get up to speed. My average time was faster on the second half of my ride. They climb well, and they descend like they're on fire. I couldn't be happier with this upgrade!

Here's some pics of our bikes with the Zondas...

My Orbea Spirit-Carbon with Campy Zonda Wheelset and Veloce Group
black.jpg

black-front.jpg

black-rear.jpg

black-stays.jpg

My Wife's Orbea Spirit-Carbon with Campy Zonda Wheelset and Veloce Group
blue.jpg

blue-front.jpg

blue-rear.jpg

blue-stays.jpg

We're all smiles!
:):):):):):):):)

Thanks for the replies.

This morning's ride was every bit as good as yesterday.

These new wheels are superb. :D

If anyone's looking for a nice set of wheels --- the Zonda's ROCK!

Indeed, they do rock. Ive got a pair, more than a few miles on em, never touched them, for anything. They are as straight as the day I bought them, and I really have beat the hell out of 'em. Im not easy on components by any stretch of the imagination.

I've had my Zondas for about two years, cbike.com occasionally puts them on sale - mine were $350 for the set. Aero, but not as harsh riding as the super stiff wheelsets like Rolfs or K's. Nice balance between efficiency and comfort. Mine have been maintenance free, and I've put a lot of miles on them. Very handsome, in their black livery with silver lettering.

One tip - the skewers weigh a ton. Get on ebay and grab a set of Rolf titanium skewers, you can usually get them for around $25 for the pair.

The 06' Zonda's have QR-20 skewers, same as the Eurus at about 80 gms.

They look great on your bikes! Sweet choice. Let us know what you think of the Diamante Pros (a tire I have not used yet).

Thanks Pete and others for the feedback! We like the looks too Pete. But what really stands out is the ride! The wheels feel lighter than the Vento’s they replaced – more responsive too. The Vittoria Diamante Pro tires ride a lot like sew-ups. I spent most of my road bike years on sew-ups so that’s the measuring line I'm going by. And although these wheels are not quite as amazing as super light sew-ups, they feel fairly similar. Honestly they're more similar than you might imagine. The wheels are quick and responsive. There’s a clear difference between the Zonda’s and the Vento’s. The Vento's where stable performers. These wheels blow them away though. And the tires are nice too. The Diamantes are excellent riding/race tires. Perfect traction. They feel light and supple. They have a snappy response – very agile. They feels like a decent race tire should. So far I’m very satisfied with these tires and this wheel combo.