Campy's new wheels

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Captain Dondo, Apr 23, 2003.

  1. I got a catalog in the mail yesterday - in it was an absolutely gorgeous DeRosa with full Campy
    chorus/record stuff. The wheels were radial front and three parallel spokes in the rear. Enough to
    make you drool....

    I started wondering about the durability of those wheels - I weigh 190, and while I'm not
    particularly hard on equipment, I do break spokes and run through pot holes at 25 MPH...

    So, any real world experience with those ultra-light wheels for real riders in the real world?

    -Dondo

    Tags:

  2. captain-<< I started wondering about the durability of those wheels - I weigh 190, and while I'm not
    particularly hard on equipment, I do break spokes and run through pot holes at 25 MPH.

    Called Eurus, Scirocco or Zonda..And even the highest end one, the Eurus isn't any lighter than a
    Record hub, standard rim(like a Open Pro) and 14/15 spokes...BUT costs a lot more...AND the
    handbuilt 'may' be more reliable, certainly use standard parts, like spokes AND the handbuilt can be
    rebuilt in 5 years, something you may not be able to for the package wheel .

    << So, any real world experience with those ultra-light wheels for real riders in the real world?

    see above-

  3. Rman

    Rman Guest

    [anip]

    >.And even the highest end one, the Eurus isn't any lighter than a Record hub, standard rim(like a
    >Open Pro) and 14/15 spokes...

    I just had to check this comment out, according to the weights I pulled off the net:

    Record Front Hub: 181 g Record Rear Hub: 316 g 2 x Open Pro: 850 g DT Comp (14/15/14) spokes x 64:
    384 g Nipples (DT Brass 16 mm) x 64: 81 g

    TOTAL: 1.812 kg (with skewers)

    Eurus Front: 695 g Eurus Rear: 865 g

    TOTAL: 1.560 kg (without skewers)

    I'd assume the Eurus comes with Record skewers ?, but I don't know how much they weigh ?. Would they
    weigh 252 g for two ? If I was to use a titanium skewer (from American Classic, 80 g) then the total
    Eurus wheel weight would be 1.640 g. So that is lighter than a "standard" set up, unless I have made
    an error (quite possible). I'd think you could drop weight on the standard set up by using lighter
    spokes and Ti skewers (and other stuff I'spose)

    You can certainly debate with good foundation the lack of merit of the Eurus wheelset vs.
    Record/OpenPro, but for some a 170 g weight saving will matter, with no regard to cost (not to me, a
    B grade club banger, I have a Centaur/Open Pro set up, and at ~ US $ 200, can't be beat, well I get
    beaten all the time, but it aint the wheels' fault)

    [snip]

  4. In article <[email protected]>, RMan <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >
    >[anip]
    >
    >>.And even the highest end one, the Eurus isn't any lighter than a Record hub, standard rim(like a
    >>Open Pro) and 14/15 spokes...
    >
    >I just had to check this comment out, according to the weights I pulled off the net:
    >
    >Record Front Hub: 181 g Record Rear Hub: 316 g 2 x Open Pro: 850 g DT Comp (14/15/14) spokes x 64:
    >384 g Nipples (DT Brass 16 mm) x 64: 81 g
    >
    >TOTAL: 1.812 kg (with skewers)
    >
    >Eurus Front: 695 g Eurus Rear: 865 g
    >
    >TOTAL: 1.560 kg (without skewers)
    >
    >I'd assume the Eurus comes with Record skewers ?, but I don't know how much they weigh ?. Would
    >they weigh 252 g for two ?

    My digital kitchen scale (+/- 2g) says:

    2001 Record front skewer 62g 2001 Record rear skewer 66g

    --Paul

  5. Nick Payne

    Nick Payne Guest

    Well I have a pair of Eurus wheels, and also a pair of 32-spoke wheels with Record hubs, Velocity
    Aerohead rims, Sapim CX-Ray spokes. Within the accuracy of my kitchen scales (about 10g or so) there
    is no difference in weight between the two wheelsets...the Eurus cost me about $A1400, the
    home-built wheels about $A800 for the hubs, rims, and spokes. I've done races and hillclimbs on both
    and not noticed any difference.

    Nick

  6. On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 15:56:55 +1000, Nick Payne wrote:

    > Well I have a pair of Eurus wheels, and also a pair of 32-spoke wheels with Record hubs, Velocity
    > Aerohead rims, Sapim CX-Ray spokes. Within the accuracy of my kitchen scales (about 10g or so)
    > there is no difference in weight between the two wheelsets...the Eurus cost me about $A1400, the
    > home-built wheels about $A800 for the hubs, rims, and spokes. I've done races and hillclimbs on
    > both and not noticed any difference.

    So, why did you buy the Eurus'?

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig... You _`\(,_ | soon find out the
    pig likes it! (_)/ (_) |