Can a Bianchi Grizzly take road bike caliper brakes? + More

rakkun

Jul 15, 2005
Hello everyone,

I've been riding my a 2001ish Bianchi Grizzly (steel MTB hybridish frame) for awhile, and I've been thinking of making a jump to a more road-suitable configuration since I never go off-road.

I'm currently riding on 26" wheels, and the big step that I'm considering is getting a pair of road wheels (?Shimano R550s).

However, I'm wondering if my frame would be compatible with road brake calipers, which I inevitably will have to get if I change my wheelset. Can anyone help me out here?

Any other suggestions are welcome. Attached is a picture illustrating my frame.

http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/348/img98156dd.th.jpg

Cheers, and thanks in advance!

Not compatible. Don't count on the wheels either. Why don't you just buy a road bike and quit wasting your time, and money?

The easiest and best way to make into a road bike is to fit slicks and a close ratio rear cassette.

Conti Grand Prix 26x1 or Conti Sport Contact 26x1.3, and a 12-23 cassette with a 28/38/48 crankset will make a big difference.

Thanks boudreaux and george for your opinions.

boudreaux : I'm trying my best to work with what I have :) I like this frame a lot, and I really don't mind spending the time to work on it, if it's possible. I note that there's a hole up at the bridge between the seatstays, would that work in attaching caliper brakes? The main reason why I'm not getting a road bike is the price. I can see how I can make a full conversion to a road bike within 250USD with brand-new parts. I suppose that would save me some money as well as let me continue riding with the Grizzly :D

george : thanks for your suggestions, I've actually already adopted them, somewhat. I'm now riding on Panaracer T-Serv 26x1.25" tires and I'm turning a 48/38/28 with a 14-26 7-speed cassette. I have acquired a 11-25 7-speed cassette and I'm going to make the switch soon, so I'll be running a 29" - 113" range.

The main reason why I want to go more "road" is because I'm trying to keep up with the riders in my club who're on full-fledged road bikes. Right now, in my best aero position, I'm hitting 40km/h (25mph) on the flats (for short periods), which is just enough to have me hanging on their tail ends and I'm suffering like a dog. Of course, I'm not thinking of competing anytime soon, just trying to have some fun on rides, with a bit of cash to spare to be able to think of upgrading.

11 rear, 48 front with Conti GP 26x1 will give you as good as some tri bikes have, regardless of frame. You might like to try a 30/42/52 road crankset, Sugino (8 speed) is a good aftermarket one. Leave the wheels and brakes as is.

Thanks again george,

You really don't think I should be fiddling around with the wheels and the brakes? :D Admittedly, there's no real need to, but I suppose it might be a lot easier to keep with my mates on rides with the much much lower rotating weight (my wheels now weigh around 3 kilograms or slightly less), and more aerodynamic construct.

Essentially, other than making a switch to 1" tires, is that just about all that I can do for my bike? I was also considering making a change to drop bars (my best aero positions for now are all extremely un-ergonomic) for the price of ~12USD, but I can't see how my current grip shifters and MTB levers can port over to drop bars.

The conundrum for me is that 8 speeds would definitely be more luxurious for me. However, it would mean I would have to change both my rear derailleur and my rear shifter (and thus my rear brake lever too), incurring a lot more cost. The other suggestion of yours to change to a road crankset does sound nice, but once again it's additional cost for a 8% difference in road speed. Besides, with a 48/11 ratio, a cadence of 90-100 gets me up to the mid-40kmhs already, so I guess i'm rather content with that for now -grin-.

Any other suggestions that would make my riding easier so that I can join my club riders would be nice! Of course, there's the inevitable "train more", which I'm already doing.

cheerios again.

Yes, there is a topic on using MTB shifters/levers on drops, or use Road Ends: http://www.endless-innovations.com/mall/dynamic.asp?Category=BarEnds
http://www.cyclingforums.com/showthread.php?p=2143626&posted=1

Also, you will find it harder to spin up a 700c wheel than a 650 (26").

My next project is to build a training bike.

Base bike: Apollo Marathon 18", ladies MTB, it has a shorter top tube than the men's.
http://www.apollobikes.com/range_cross_ladies.html
Most of the features are ok, however over time I will replace:

Tyres: Conti GP 26x1 & 650c race tubes.
Forks: After market CrMo Rigid, 380mm axle-crown, this will give a 3degree drop in the front of the bike, steerer then 73 degrees, and a 25mm drop in the BB, and stiffer handling.
Crankset: Shimano TX71 28/38/48.
Front Derailleur: Shimano FD-C051
Cassette: Shimano HG-50 12-25 or 12-23
Bars: Flat, Bull Horn, Aero, a base to experiment from.