Can a deore 9 speed rear mech be setup for a 7 speed system ??

Pete A

Guest
Dont know if anyone can advise, Ive got a modern deore 9 speed rear
mech, and am in the process of upgrading an old Dawes Galaxy to a 7
speed setup - is there any way this can be used, or do I need to go
for ones that specifically say suitable for 7/8 speed ?

"Pete A" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Dont know if anyone can advise, Ive got a modern deore 9 speed rear
> mech, and am in the process of upgrading an old Dawes Galaxy to a 7
> speed setup - is there any way this can be used, or do I need to go
> for ones that specifically say suitable for 7/8 speed ?

Yes, it'll be fine.

cheers,
clive

Pete A wrote:
> Dont know if anyone can advise, Ive got a modern deore 9 speed rear
> mech, and am in the process of upgrading an old Dawes Galaxy to a 7
> speed setup - is there any way this can be used, or do I need to go
> for ones that specifically say suitable for 7/8 speed ?

I'll be fine. I've done it with an XT rear mech.

in message <[email protected]>, Pete A
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Dont know if anyone can advise, Ive got a modern deore 9 speed rear
> mech, and am in the process of upgrading an old Dawes Galaxy to a 7
> speed setup - is there any way this can be used, or do I need to go
> for ones that specifically say suitable for 7/8 speed ?

The indexing isn't in the mech, it's in the control (lever or twistgrip
or whatever). If you want it to index correctly you'll need a control
which pulls exactly the right amount of cable to move the mech through
the gear spacing on your cassette, and that may be tricky; but if you
use a non-indexed lever it will work fine.

.::;===r==\
/ /___||___\____
//==\- ||- | /__\( MS Windows IS an operating environment.
//____\__||___|_// \|: C++ IS an object oriented programming language.
\__/ ~~~~~~~~~ \__/ Citroen 2cv6 IS a four door family saloon.

On 25 Nov 2004 12:51:06 -0800, [email protected] (Pete A)
wrote:

>Dont know if anyone can advise, Ive got a modern deore 9 speed rear
>mech, and am in the process of upgrading an old Dawes Galaxy to a 7
>speed setup - is there any way this can be used, or do I need to go
>for ones that specifically say suitable for 7/8 speed ?

I've replaced a naff tourney derailleur with a deore mechanism. Took
only about 10 minutes (although it took a couple of days to fine tune
it in actual use). Mine's a six speed setup too not seven.