Can a middle aged man do pro-cycling?

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by sharatharadhya, Feb 3, 2016.

1. sharatharadhya

sharatharadhya New Member

Hello, my name is Sharath and I am 39 years old. I am a businessman and I do Financial trade. I have always loved cycling for a long time. I used to Cycle to my aunt's house which would take an entire day. I always loved cycling and I feel alive while Cycling. Fast forward to this day, I am a father of two. I really want to get back into Pro-Cycling, I am concerned if this is the wrong time. I don't intend to win a trophy, but I don't want to regret not trying. If I would start training what is my best bet at it?

Tags:
    ItsikH likes this.

2. Nigel Doyle

Nigel Doyle Member

Can you define what you mean by "pro cycling". If you mean earn a living from professional cycling then sorry to say you're past it. Now if you mean race competitively in your age group like I do whilst still holding down a full time job then 39 is fairly young. I'm 54 and beat a lot of guys around my age group. The fast young guys however drop me. Master age level road racing is very competitive these days and there's probably more 40+ guys racing than under 40.

I would suggest signing up for Trainerroad.com and follow their excellent training plans. You'll need to be creative to replace some of the indoor workouts with outdoor ones but you soon get the hang of it.

Good luck.

Uawadall likes this.
  3. Uawadall

Uawadall Well-Known Member

I like well though out realistic answers like this. I hate when people tell the OP that they can when they honestly can't,OP, this is good advice, their are young guys who've been training since they were kids and can never turn pro. Amateur age groups competition sounds like loads of fun.

4. Summertime33

Summertime33 New Member

If your business is doing well, I wouldn't drop it to be a cyclist. However, as other people said you can easily race within your age group and possibly win various tournaments and potentially cash. My friend's fathers are both in their mid-fifties and still race competitively, and they're pretty good too!

5. mpre53

mpre53 Well-Known Member

You can certainly try your hand at racing at the Masters level. You may need to pick up a USAC license. You'll start out at the "entry level" cat 5.

You'll need to train a little. You don't have to quit your job to do this. Build a mileage base, and then focus on "quality instead of quantity" 2-3 days a week.

There are plenty of online training routines, and training forums on all of the big cycling websites. You might also look into joining a local cycling club. Just competing is a very realistic goal. And something that is certainly feasible at 39. You're not THAT old, after all. There are Masters racers in their 60s and 70s. Some started as kids, some started in middle age.

6. Bicycleman

Bicycleman Well-Known Member

If they hire old slow riders, I think it will work for me.:p

7. Corzhens

Corzhens Well-Known Member

I don't see anything wrong for a middle-aged person to jon pro cycling. But the big question is this - can your body outlast the rigors of the training including the potential injuries? If you are up for the challenge, maybe you can take it from there and go to a velodrome or join a team of pro cyclists. They can give you the proper training so you can spare your body from being abused.

8. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Sean Kelly's An Post racing team has signed a 31 year old Irish amateur cyclist as a professional.

Damien Shaw got himself a professional contract. He may not be middle aged, but he's no spring chicken.
    https://twitter.com/shawdamien

9. Nigel Doyle

Nigel Doyle Member

Greg Henderson from NZ is still racing professionally at 39 and is André Greipel's main leadout man in the Tour de France etc. But he's been doing it since he was a kid. Going from being a recreational cyclist to world class is going to take years of hard and dedicated work. Master's age level racing is a lot of fun and very rewarding plus you can keep your job.

10. BikeBikeBikeBike

BikeBikeBikeBike Well-Known Member

Well if you are asking if you can reach the top level of cycling while only getting serious about it at 39 then the answer is no. If you are asking if cycling can pay more then you currently make it's probably another no.
    BUT I think you already have answered your own question mate!
    You say "I don't intend to win a trophy, but I don't want to regret not trying" which is the right attitude.
    Here is what I see, there is really no down-side for you trying. Other then perhaps spending too much time and it hurting your work and family. But it's only going to make you more fit and chasing goals is a god thing.
    You already love to cycle, so take it up a notch! Train hard. Get a USAC license. Start competing.
    Then come back here in a year or two and YOU can tell US how far a middle-aged man can go.

11. pwarbi

pwarbi Well-Known Member

I think the main issue here us the fact that your only just starting cycling again at 39, so I'm afraid to say while you can still cycle, your not going to be able to make it to pro competition standards I wouldn't have thought.

Carrying on cycling at 39 and starting cycling at 39 are two entirely different things,

ItsikH likes this.
  12. Zhen25

Zhen25 Member

I think anything is possible as long as you want to enough. The question is do you really want to go pro or just enter into some competitive cycling?

13. ItsikH

ItsikH New Member

As said above, professional cycing as in making a living - no. But - take a look at the podium of Israel TT championship 2009 - 1st is the Basque Aitor Azpiazu, in his forties, and 3rd is the even older Youval Rachmilevich, former leutenant colonel (around 48) - these aren't age groups, its the elite podium
    http://www.tacc.co.il/userfiles/2009/general/TT2009/Podium1520.jpg

#13 ItsikH, Feb 6, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  14. oldbobcat

oldbobcat Well-Known Member

You can bet he didn't start training for it yesterday, too.

If you're thinking about getting serious about competition, find a racing club and get out and ride with them. You're not going to find the answer you're looking for on an internet bulletin board.

Next question, please.

Uawadall, ItsikH and mpre53 like this.
  15. mpre53

mpre53 Well-Known Member

Stop. Just stop. You're spouting nonsense. You don't just "go pro". Some pro team has to hire you, Chris Horner, who was riding professionally since his 20s, won the fucking Vuelta D'Espana at age 40, and he had to scramble for a team the following year, and couldn't hook on with any team two years later. This "anything is possible as long as you want it" is pure unadulterated bullshit..

Bicycleman, steve and Uawadall like this.
  16. ItsikH

ItsikH New Member

Your remark is very relevant: Aitor cycled and competed long before that, but Youval did not - his army background gave him the basic fitness, that is all. There are other examples of fit people turning to cycling late in life with good results, but he is extreme.

17. ItsikH

ItsikH New Member

A relevant remark indeed: Aitor did cycle, race and compete long before, but Youval did not - all his previous athletic activity had been his military service, which gave him excellet fitness but no more. There are plenty other examples of fit people turning to cycling and showing remarkable results, but he is extreme.

18. Uawadall

Uawadall Well-Known Member

OP, I would also add that many pro cyclist or Ex-pro's would much rather be in your shoes. Being a pro athlete is harsh and most who train or aspire to be one never make it. Also, consider those talented enough to compete with the elite who just don't have the look or charisma for a pro team to give them the time of day.Also, I cant imagine how minuscule these athletes get paid for the grueling training they do.Your ship has sailed, but consider all those who had a pro cycling dream and put in long hours everyday to not make it. Nothings wrong with being like the rest of us recreational cyclist.

19. Zhen25

Zhen25 Member

I don't care what you want to say. If he is good enough and wants it badly, it can happen. I didn't say it would be easy did I? But it is possible. Everyone's luck is different.

20. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

@mpre53 is right though.