Can a powertap be built into a Mavic Cosmic Carbone SSC?

Discussion in 'Power Training' started by bigbevans, Nov 29, 2005.

1. bigbevans

bigbevans New Member

I am thinking of getting a Powertap and have a Mavic Cosmic Carbone SSC that I hardly use now I have a disc. This seems the ideal wheel for me to get a powertap built into as I can use it for non serious time trials as well as training.

As I know very little about powertap I was wondering if it can be built into this wheel? It is the older version ie NOT the 2005 version.

Thanks.

Tags:

2. peterpen

peterpen New Member

Think the PT will have too many spoke holes, or rather, the rim will have too few. Minimum hub count is 24 and the Cosmic Carbone has only 20 spoke holes, no?

3. Squint

Squint New Member

You'd have to look at the wheel to determine that.

4. bigbevans

bigbevans New Member

Good point :mad:

5. Thorman

Thorman New Member

Why not just get a CH Aero wheel cover for a standard OP PT wheel?

http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?page=8&description=Wheel+Cover&vendorCode=CHAERO&major=1&minor=24

6. Roadie_scum

Roadie_scum New Member

Talk to a wheelbuilder - sometimes you can use funky spoke patterns to build strong wheels on rims that take fewer spokes than the hub has holes.

7. DRAwpt

DRAwpt New Member

On that topic, does anyone know of a reasonably priced, carbon, deep (50 mm+), preferably clincher rim to build up a racing/training wheel. I know that HED and ZIPP do it, but I was hoping for a cheaper alternative. I have a Spinergy Tillium rear that has the same problem described in the original post, but I would really like to have a good, strong aero-wheel built up on a Powertap SL hub. Opinions? Maybe the wheels put out by Litespeed could be adapted, I don't know.

8. Woofer

Woofer New Member

It doesn't get much cheaper than Hed. Are you doing time trials or mass start racing? The rear wheel isn't nearly as important as the front for aerodynamics. If you are doing time trials and are not doing high level events (as a cat 1/pro) you can always use a wheel cover.