Can Andy Schleck still win the Tour de France?

baker3

Jul 13, 2009
What do you think Andy Schleck needs to do, over the next two days to ensure he has a chance at winning the tour de france?

I think he is going to bet on gaining 30 seconds on the Col du Tourmalet, followed by hoping not to loose more than 20 seconds in the TT :eek:

Possible? Yes. Likely? No. Like most of the consensus, I think Contador will beat him significantly in the time trial, so unless Schleck can gain big time in the next two stages, it will be a tough time for him.

Sure if Contador has a massive crash or suffers a heart attack.

jhuskey said:
Sure if Contador has a massive crash or suffers a heart attack.

Agreed, a win by Andy doesn't seem like a likely outcome. :mad:

steve said:
Agreed, a win by Andy doesn't seem like a likely outcome. :mad:

No, but there is always 2011, is a matter of time before he starts winning tours; and he deserves it!!!

He has to attack on the Tourmalet and he will. AC will be ready for it though and won't let him get away.

Unfortunately, nothing he has shown us gives any indication that he won't lose massive chunks of time in the final TT... so his goose is cooked.

It would be nice if he did manage to get away on Thursday and win back the yellow jersey. Talk about drama and good television!

in all actuality, schleck might a bit lucky to have lost the jersey. i imagine his final time trial wouldnt be as bad as the chickens famous ride, but i suspect he will lose massive chunks of time.

i do however see schleck beating contador in the next year or two. id say that hes been the strongest rider in this years tour so far. contador has his number in the tts for the time being though. this will be a great rivalry for the next 5 or so years until contador's time is up.

I'd put the odds heavily in Contador's favor. I don't think, however, the odds are as bad for Andy as most people think. We have seen Alberto implode spectacularly from time to time, most notably in last year's Paris-Nice.

Of course, 1 bad day can happen to anyone: we've seen Armstrong lose big chunks of time during his 7-victory run, Landis had a bad day during his 2006 run, etc.

the problem is that i think the attack that schleck put in when his chain dropped was the day to put the hurt on contador and now he has only 1 day left to do so. contador can put everything on the line knowing that its his last day in the mountains and even if hes tired, hes going to beat schleck in the tt.

schleck lost 42 seconds to contador in 8.9km. even if he cuts his losses in half in the final tt, hes going to lose a lot of time.

vitamin s said:
the problem is that i think the attack that schleck put in when his chain dropped was the day to put the hurt on contador

The pursuit after the chain dropped was impressive. If he attacks like that can cantador keep up?

Bike4Him said:
The pursuit after the chain dropped was impressive. If he attacks like that can cantador keep up?

I wonder, do anyone know how long he was stuck on the side of the road trying to fix his chain? I think he went over the summit 13 seconds behind AC. If he pulled back 20_ seconds in those last 3 km to the summit, we could be in for a decent race up the col du tourmalet.

Bike4Him said:

no questions about it. schleck is the better climber this year. its really a shame because had he taken just 20 seconds on contador on that stage, wed be in for a HUGE final mountain stage and tt. i just think that with one day left, and contador knowing he has about 1 minute or more to spare and the race is his, that there isnt enough time to pull back the 2 plus minutes that i think schleck realistically needs to win this tour.

Leaving it to the Tourmalet will not help Schlecks cause. There are a couple of Astana riders that will shell thr field and rid Schleck of his team before the final climb.

Contador has shown that its possible to beat him if he's attacked enough but noone has had the balls to do that in the Tour apart from Rassmuchicken on the last epic Tour Pyrenean stage.

I predicted a long time ago that we could expect attacks on the first climb of the final stage - the col du marie blanque. There a few kms at the top thats steeper than 10% and the trees negate any breeze. Its the prefect launch pad for starting Contadors downfall. The Soulor isnt quite as gut wrenching but thats what youve got gears for...

The Tourmalet. If contador isnt on his knees by the start of this climb the Schleck might as we stop for coffee at Barèges and rue putting on that stupid looking set of pulleys on his rear mech.

I hope Vino has shot his bolt already and this turns into AC vs AS. Cancellara may be too set on the TT to give Andy full support on the Tourmalet and without his brother on the climbs he is exposed. Not that he can't handle it but I'd like to see a head to head rather than Astana V Schleck if you get what I mean. As others have said, this is looking good for the next 5 years or so.