Can any bike be properly fit?

Tanach

Jan 2, 2003
I am a newbie wanting to take up cycling to augment my running. Knowing nothing about cycling, I have done a lot of research before making my first bike purchase. Unfortunately, I still do not understand sizing very well. My question is this: <br /><br />Can most bikes be fit correctly (by a professional of course) given the right frame size for the rider, or are geometries so different that only a few bikes will be right for a given rider?<br /><br />My question is motivated by money. I have very little to spend on an entry level bike but I know that fit is critical to having a good ride. I am wondering if I can purchase a Giant OCR 3 / Trek 1000 style beginner and still get a good fit. If not, then I will have to wait until I can spend more money, and I HATE to wait.<br /><br />Sorry for the lengthy post, but I have found the quality of the answer tends to depend on the quanity of the details given.

It's possible if you get the proper frame size (even 1cm or even 2 to big/small) to adapt it with saddle and steer pen unless when you body geometry is far from normal but this is unlikely

There is a lot to that question and many long-time riders on here can give varied advice. Let me say this: The standover height is very important (how high the bike is off of the ground and, thus, how close it comes to your groin). Once the shop helps you narrow down sizes here, you will need to consider the stretch from your seat to your hands. Too upright puts too much weight on the groin area, too laid out puts the hands to sleep... Stem length can be easily varied to make adjustments here.<br /><br />Am I rambling???<br /><br />To give a more direct answer... For a newer rider buying an entry level bike, yes the shop should be able to fit many bikes to you once you have selected the proper frame size. When you begin with an appropriate frame they can fiddle with stem length, seat height/position, etc. enough to give you a good ride.<br /><br />Some advice:<br /><br />To get the best help from the shop, try to arrange a time to come in for a fitting and work with them to avoid their busiest times. This way they are comfortable giving you ample time and you are comfortable taking it.<br /><br />When you start to ride, you may want to make SMALL alterations to your position (raising the seat height for example). If the shop helps you get it fit, it should already be close to great. DON&quot;T make large changes at one time. Moving something like the seat even a centimeter makes a big difference in how your body's forces are applied. Make very slight alterations only! Many a rider has become very sore/injured because he thought everything would be great if he just raised his seat half-an-inch...<br /><br />Good Luck