can anyone do this?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Grant Byrne, Mar 4, 2003.

  1. Grant Byrne

    Grant Byrne Guest

    G'day,

    I was riding this arvo and after going round a bend and waiting for the other half to catch up i had
    an idea. I had to put my foot down to negotiate the bend.

    I reckon i could go round the bend faster if i could put my foot down and still pedal with the other
    foot. Being clipped in obviously. I don't think i could actually do it and i would probably smack
    the inside pedal on something and fly off but has anyone tried and/or mastered this?

    I haven't seen any racers doing this, just one of those weird ideas you get when riding.

    Grant

    Tags:

  2. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "Grant Byrne" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > G'day,
    >
    > I was riding this arvo and after going round a bend and waiting for the other half to catch up i
    > had an idea. I had to put my foot down to negotiate the bend.
    >
    > I reckon i could go round the bend faster if i could put my foot down and still pedal with the
    > other foot. Being clipped in obviously. I don't think i could actually do it and i would probably
    > smack the inside pedal on something and fly off but has anyone tried and/or mastered this?
    >
    > I haven't seen any racers doing this, just one of those weird ideas you get when riding.
    >
    > Grant

    This technique is generally used in flat or off camber turns with loose, sketchy dirt. I wouldn't
    try to pedal one footed. It is better to keep that pedal at 6 O'clock and weight it to keep the
    wheels stuck to the ground in the turn and lower your center of gravity. You would chance catching
    the inside pedal on the ground as well. That said I find that I have much better balance if I can
    keep both feet on the pedals as much as possible.

    Mike