Can anyone help date an old bike...

Suzy Jackson

Guest
Hi Guys,

On the way down to the shops the other day, I came across a rusty old bike that had been left on
the side of the road for council rubbish pickup. Being a bit of a bike junkie, I grabbed it.
It's a Malvern Star, and seems to be a track bike (though some of the details don't gell with
track racing).

Anyway, the frame is dark green, fillet welded steel, with what look to be hand painted "Malvern
Star" logos and lots of pinstriping and detail. It's an enormous frame (61cm seat tube and 58cm top
tube) with track forkends, and no provision for brakes or gears. The fork has rather more rake
(about 50mm I think) than I'd expect of a track frame though, and also has oval blades.

The wheels use aluminium 27" high pressure (not single) rims, marked "Dunlop - made in England". I
can't find a makers mark on the hubs, which use aluminium flanges pressed on to a chromed steel hub
body. The rear hub spacing is 110mm, and it has a 16 tooth fixed cog.

The wheels confuse me more than anything else about the bike. I'd guess the bike was made in the
'50s or '60s, except I'd have thought a racing bike of this period would have had singles, not
HPs... Could the wheels be a more recent addition?

The cranks are steel cottered ones, and have "Utility something" stamped on them.

The seat is a Brooks leather one, and is very narrow. Handlebars and stem are chromed steel, with no
discernible makers marks.

In any case, I've posted a few pictures on the web. If anyone can help me with further details on
the bike, such as when it was made, what it was originally supposed to be used for, etc., I'd be
really grateful.

http://www.atnf.csiro.au/people/Suzy.Jackson/Malvern_Star_Side.jpg
http://www.atnf.csiro.au/people/Suzy.Jackson/Malvern_Star_Quarter.jpg
http://www.atnf.csiro.au/people/Suzy.Jackson/Malvern_Star_Head.jpg
http://www.atnf.csiro.au/people/Suzy.Jackson/Malvern_Star_Down.jpg

I plan on restoring it to as close to original condition as I can, though I anticipate getting the
paint to even vaguelly resemble it's original state will be an enormous challenge.

Regards,

Suzy

"Suzy Jackson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi Guys,
>
> On the way down to the shops the other day, I came across a rusty old bike that had been left on
> the side of the road for council rubbish pickup. Being a bit of a bike junkie, I grabbed it. It's
> a Malvern Star, and seems to be a track bike (though some of the details don't gell with track
> racing).
>
> Anyway, the frame is dark green, fillet welded steel, with what look to be hand painted "Malvern
> Star" logos and lots of pinstriping and detail. It's an enormous frame (61cm seat tube and 58cm
> top tube) with track forkends, and no provision for brakes or gears. The fork has rather more rake
> (about 50mm I think) than I'd expect of a track frame though, and also has oval blades.
>
> The wheels use aluminium 27" high pressure (not single) rims, marked "Dunlop - made in England". I
> can't find a makers mark on the hubs, which use aluminium flanges pressed on to a chromed steel
> hub body. The rear hub spacing is 110mm, and it has a 16 tooth fixed cog.
>
> The wheels confuse me more than anything else about the bike. I'd guess the bike was made in the
> '50s or '60s, except I'd have thought a racing bike of this period would have had singles, not
> HPs... Could the wheels be a more recent addition?
>
> The cranks are steel cottered ones, and have "Utility something" stamped on them.
>
> The seat is a Brooks leather one, and is very narrow. Handlebars and stem are chromed steel, with
> no discernible makers marks.
>
> In any case, I've posted a few pictures on the web. If anyone can help me with further details on
> the bike, such as when it was made, what it was originally supposed to be used for, etc., I'd be
> really grateful.
>
> http://www.atnf.csiro.au/people/Suzy.Jackson/Malvern_Star_Side.jpg
> http://www.atnf.csiro.au/people/Suzy.Jackson/Malvern_Star_Quarter.jpg
> http://www.atnf.csiro.au/people/Suzy.Jackson/Malvern_Star_Head.jpg
> http://www.atnf.csiro.au/people/Suzy.Jackson/Malvern_Star_Down.jpg
>
> I plan on restoring it to as close to original condition as I can, though I anticipate getting the
> paint to even vaguelly resemble it's original state will be an enormous challenge.
>
> Regards,
>
> Suzy

Are there any stars on the head tube, A five star Malvern Star was their top bike and would most
likely have a reynolds 531 sticker on the seat tube. I think they went 3 star,4 star then top of the
line 5 star

I've dated a few old bikes in my time, but I can't help you with this one...

&roo

heh, finding an old bike is always fun. I found a 10 speed road bike on the side of the road with
progressive shiffters, really greasy and really rusty. I thought , cool, my father will like it when
i restore it. He was always talking about how he wanted a bike so he oculd ride with me. WIth 2
bottles of turpentine and 20 hours, i cleaned it up, and gave it to my father. He never rode it
though, so we threw it out in the council pickup.

On 7 Jan 2004 16:18:58 -0800, [email protected] (Suzy Jackson) wrote:

>Hi Guys,
>
>On the way down to the shops the other day, I came across a rusty old bike that had been left on
>the side of the road for council rubbish pickup. Being a bit of a bike junkie, I grabbed it.
>It's a Malvern Star, and seems to be a track bike (though some of the details don't gell with
>track racing).
>
>Anyway, the frame is dark green, fillet welded steel, with what look to be hand painted "Malvern
>Star" logos and lots of pinstriping and detail. It's an enormous frame (61cm seat tube and 58cm top
>tube) with track forkends, and no provision for brakes or gears. The fork has rather more rake
>(about 50mm I think) than I'd expect of a track frame though, and also has oval blades.
>
>The wheels use aluminium 27" high pressure (not single) rims, marked "Dunlop - made in England". I
>can't find a makers mark on the hubs, which use aluminium flanges pressed on to a chromed steel hub
>body. The rear hub spacing is 110mm, and it has a 16 tooth fixed cog.
>
>The wheels confuse me more than anything else about the bike. I'd guess the bike was made in the
>'50s or '60s, except I'd have thought a racing bike of this period would have had singles, not
>HPs... Could the wheels be a more recent addition?
>
>The cranks are steel cottered ones, and have "Utility something" stamped on them.
>
>The seat is a Brooks leather one, and is very narrow. Handlebars and stem are chromed steel, with
>no discernible makers marks.
>
>In any case, I've posted a few pictures on the web. If anyone can help me with further details on
>the bike, such as when it was made, what it was originally supposed to be used for, etc., I'd be
>really grateful.
>
>http://www.atnf.csiro.au/people/Suzy.Jackson/Malvern_Star_Side.jpg
>http://www.atnf.csiro.au/people/Suzy.Jackson/Malvern_Star_Quarter.jpg
>http://www.atnf.csiro.au/people/Suzy.Jackson/Malvern_Star_Head.jpg
>http://www.atnf.csiro.au/people/Suzy.Jackson/Malvern_Star_Down.jpg
>
>I plan on restoring it to as close to original condition as I can, though I anticipate getting the
>paint to even vaguelly resemble it's original state will be an enormous challenge.
>
>Regards,
>
>Suzy

Hi Suzy,

http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Australia/MalvernStar.html
has a little info and I have seen more info on the website of the Canberra Bicycle Museum, including info on serial numbers for malvern star, and photos. Rolf Lunsmann may be able to help you.

Currently the links to the Canberra Bicycle Museum go to a domain name seller/reseller website.

It looks like you have a 5 star model there.

Regards

Michael G

(met you at the Bike North Christmas Picnic)

Major issue will be the decals. Chrome work is easily redone at plating works Paint job is not a
major issue with bead blasting Please post some pictures when you are finished

--

"Suzy Jackson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi Guys,
>
> On the way down to the shops the other day, I came across a rusty old bike that had been left on
> the side of the road for council rubbish pickup. Being a bit of a bike junkie, I grabbed it. It's
> a Malvern Star, and seems to be a track bike (though some of the details don't gell with track
> racing).
>
> Anyway, the frame is dark green, fillet welded steel, with what look to be hand painted "Malvern
> Star" logos and lots of pinstriping and detail. It's an enormous frame (61cm seat tube and 58cm
> top tube) with track forkends, and no provision for brakes or gears. The fork has rather more rake
> (about 50mm I think) than I'd expect of a track frame though, and also has oval blades.
>
> The wheels use aluminium 27" high pressure (not single) rims, marked "Dunlop - made in England". I
> can't find a makers mark on the hubs, which use aluminium flanges pressed on to a chromed steel
> hub body. The rear hub spacing is 110mm, and it has a 16 tooth fixed cog.
>
> The wheels confuse me more than anything else about the bike. I'd guess the bike was made in the
> '50s or '60s, except I'd have thought a racing bike of this period would have had singles, not
> HPs... Could the wheels be a more recent addition?
>
> The cranks are steel cottered ones, and have "Utility something" stamped on them.
>
> The seat is a Brooks leather one, and is very narrow. Handlebars and stem are chromed steel, with
> no discernible makers marks.
>
> In any case, I've posted a few pictures on the web. If anyone can help me with further details on
> the bike, such as when it was made, what it was originally supposed to be used for, etc., I'd be
> really grateful.
>
> http://www.atnf.csiro.au/people/Suzy.Jackson/Malvern_Star_Side.jpg
> http://www.atnf.csiro.au/people/Suzy.Jackson/Malvern_Star_Quarter.jpg
> http://www.atnf.csiro.au/people/Suzy.Jackson/Malvern_Star_Head.jpg
> http://www.atnf.csiro.au/people/Suzy.Jackson/Malvern_Star_Down.jpg
>
> I plan on restoring it to as close to original condition as I can, though I anticipate getting the
> paint to even vaguelly resemble it's original state will be an enormous challenge.
>
> Regards,
>
> Suzy

"Suzy Jackson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> On the way down to the shops the other day, I came across a rusty old bike that had been left on
> the side of the road for council rubbish pickup. Being a bit of a bike junkie, I grabbed it. It's
> a Malvern Star, and seems to be a track bike (though some of the details don't gell with track
> racing).
<snip>

Wow! I thought I was a collector! Good luck with the resto. John Doe's suggestion of a photo journal
is a great idea. At a minimum, at least you've got the "before" shots! ;-)

hippy

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 16:18:58 -0800, Suzy Jackson wrote:

> On the way down to the shops the other day, I came across a rusty old bike that had been left on
> the side of the road for council rubbish pickup. Being a bit of a bike junkie, I grabbed it. It's
> a Malvern Star, and seems to be a track bike (though some of the details don't gell with track
> racing).

I gotta start paying more attention during these dumping weeks ;)

-kt

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 10:15:31 +0000, Donald Johnson wrote:

> Major issue will be the decals.

Maybe take some good photos, you could get a signwriter to reproduce them. IIRC there's a few places
on the web that will reproduce custom decals.

-kt

Hi guys,

Thanks for the advice you've all given me. After asking anyone who I thought would have an idea, I
found Rolf Lunsmann, who wrote the pieces about Malvern Stars in the Canberra bicycle museum website
and classic rendezvous website. Rolf _really_ knows what he's talking about, and was kind enough to
drop by and have a look, and give me heaps of info on old Malvern Stars.

The bike turns out to be quite some find. Malvern Star started making the five star model in 1939,
had a brief pause while everyone tried to shoot one another in the early 1940s, and got back into
production of five stars shortly after the war. The model was their flagship until the mid 1960s.

The serial number on mine (7M15009) indicates that it was made in 1947, in their Melbourne factory.
The normal production five stars were all lugged, and made from "light alloy steel" such as Reynolds
531. They offered fillet brazing as an option only on their custom made five stars, which were
built for (among others) a few of the more notable Australian racing legends of the time, Oppy
and Sid Patterson being two names to spring to mind.

To cut a long story short, Rolf knows of only two other fillet brazed five star Malvern Stars in
existence. He's convinced that this one originally belonged to a top track racer. I'll do my best to
find out who, and to get the bike looking and running as best I can.

I'm just amazed that someone was dopey enough to throw it out.

Regards,

Suzy

Suzy Jackson wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Thanks for the advice you've all given me. After asking anyone who I thought would have an idea, I
> found Rolf Lunsmann, who wrote the pieces about Malvern Stars in the Canberra bicycle museum
> website and classic rendezvous website. Rolf _really_ knows what he's talking about, and was kind
> enough to drop by and have a look, and give me heaps of info on old Malvern Stars.
>
> The bike turns out to be quite some find. Malvern Star started making the five star model in 1939,
> had a brief pause while everyone tried to shoot one another in the early 1940s, and got back into
> production of five stars shortly after the war. The model was their flagship until the mid 1960s.
>
> The serial number on mine (7M15009) indicates that it was made in 1947, in their Melbourne
> factory. The normal production five stars were all lugged, and made from "light alloy steel" such
> as Reynolds
> 531. They offered fillet brazing as an option only on their custom made five stars, which were
> built for (among others) a few of the more notable Australian racing legends of the time,
> Oppy and Sid Patterson being two names to spring to mind.
>
> To cut a long story short, Rolf knows of only two other fillet brazed five star Malvern Stars in
> existence. He's convinced that this one originally belonged to a top track racer. I'll do my best
> to find out who, and to get the bike looking and running as best I can.
>
> I'm just amazed that someone was dopey enough to throw it out.
>
> Regards,
>
> Suzy

Any luck finding new decals? Did you get the eBay link I emailed you?

&roo

Suzy thanks a heap for the update it is fascinating.

Please keep us posted.

--

"Suzy Jackson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi guys,
>
> Thanks for the advice you've all given me. After asking anyone who I thought would have an idea, I
> found Rolf Lunsmann, who wrote the pieces about Malvern Stars in the Canberra bicycle museum
> website and classic rendezvous website. Rolf _really_ knows what he's talking about, and was kind
> enough to drop by and have a look, and give me heaps of info on old Malvern Stars.
>
> The bike turns out to be quite some find. Malvern Star started making the five star model in 1939,
> had a brief pause while everyone tried to shoot one another in the early 1940s, and got back into
> production of five stars shortly after the war. The model was their flagship until the mid 1960s.
>
> The serial number on mine (7M15009) indicates that it was made in 1947, in their Melbourne
> factory. The normal production five stars were all lugged, and made from "light alloy steel" such
> as Reynolds
> 531. They offered fillet brazing as an option only on their custom made five stars, which were
> built for (among others) a few of the more notable Australian racing legends of the time,
> Oppy and Sid Patterson being two names to spring to mind.
>
> To cut a long story short, Rolf knows of only two other fillet brazed five star Malvern Stars in
> existence. He's convinced that this one originally belonged to a top track racer. I'll do my best
> to find out who, and to get the bike looking and running as best I can.
>
> I'm just amazed that someone was dopey enough to throw it out.
>
> Regards,
>
> Suzy

Originally posted by Suzy Jackson

To cut a long story short, Rolf knows of only two other fillet brazed five star Malvern Stars in
existence. He's convinced that this one originally belonged to a top track racer.

Regards,

Suzy

Suzy,

Was the bike piled on the naturestrip for the council collection? If so, have you knocked on doors close by to try to find the owner? The owner could be a more valuable find than the bicycle.

Regards,

John Retchford

> Thanks for the advice you've all given me. After asking anyone who I thought would have an idea, I
> found Rolf Lunsmann, who wrote the pieces about Malvern Stars in the Canberra bicycle museum
> website and classic rendezvous website. Rolf _really_ knows what he's talking about, >
> I'm just amazed that someone was dopey enough to throw it out.
>
> Regards,
>
> Suzy

Congratulations - Great find. There's a chap in W.A. selling Malvern Star transfers - you may find his name & email somewhere on the Canberra Bicycle Museum website.

Those hubs could be 'Litespeed', I suspect - an English make.
Or 'New Star', identical - French. Both excellent hubs, and much prized by collectors.
If the cones are worn, simply purchase for a few dollars from a small bike shop one or two new, old stock 20 or 28 hole front hubs intended for small children's bikes, save the axle & cones, scrap the rest. Rear axle from a new, old stock ten speed hub, perhaps. New balls (bearings) from most any nut & bolt shop. Oh - careful, newer cones vary in diameter and length. Suggest you measure & record the OLD's - overlocknut dimensions - of your hubs and fork ends, if adjustments may be ness.

Lucky you. Mine has a similar history, but it's from 1941, on 28 inch wheels, Two Star, fixed gear.

Best.

That's beautiful!

the brook saddle alone is a great find.

Thinking of building up a singlespeed when i get some time

buying an on-one ilpompino just seems to expensive for one gear!

those wheels look more 60s/70s to me. but then again I have very little idea...

Hi Suzy. I was at my bike shop yesterday, and I was telling the guy's about your special find. I was just wondering if you had located the former owner - 'cause we think we know who he is, and can give you his details if you'd like to contact him.

regards
~j~

"gravelmuncher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Hi Suzy. I was at my bike shop yesterday, and I was telling the guy's about your special find. I
> was just wondering if you had located the former owner - 'cause we think we know who he is, and
> can give you his details if you'd like to contact him.

The long, lost owner returns to town...emotions run high...

Duhn Duhn Daaaaaaah!

<STAY TUNED FOR THE NEXT GRIPPING EPISODE>

hippy (the heat's got to me!)

gravelmuncher <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi Suzy. I was at my bike shop yesterday, and I was telling the guy's about your special find. I
> was just wondering if you had located the former owner - 'cause we think we know who he is, and
> can give you his details if you'd like to contact him.
>
> regards ~j~

Where was this? I've not found out anything about the original owner yet, and any information I can
get would be really cool.

Regards,

Suzy (breathless in anticipation)

Give these guys a call - Winning Edge Cycles, Bathurst 02 6332 4025 - ask to speak to Glenn, tell him Joe with the Trek sent you and tell him the story. I was talking about it with him on Saturday, and he's keen to here from you. I hope it's a good lead. Ever since I read your post i've been scanning the sides of every street in the hope of finding something just like it for myself!!

good luck
~j~