Can anyone recommend a cheap cycle computer.

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Thomas Houseman, Jun 16, 2008.

  1. Now I have my Repco bike, I'm after a cheap cycle computer for it.

    I don't want much, just speed, max speed, ave. speed, distance covered and
    time.

    Oh and I don't want it to cost much either.

    Cheers,

    T.

    Tags:

  2. BT Humble

    BT Humble Guest

    Thomas Houseman wrote:
    > Now I have my Repco bike, I'm after a cheap cycle computer for it.
    >
    > I don't want much, just speed, max speed, ave. speed, distance covered and
    > time.
    >
    > Oh and I don't want it to cost much either.

    Go to Kmart and get a matching Repco speedometer then! The $15 one
    gives you current speed, trip time, trip distance, and an odometer. I
    believe that the next one up has average/maximum speed, but I mean
    really.

    Only caveat is that they don't cope well with hot summer sun.

    BTH

  3. Adrian

    Adrian Guest

    BT Humble <[email protected]> writes:

    > Thomas Houseman wrote:
    >> Now I have my Repco bike, I'm after a cheap cycle computer for it.
    >>
    >> I don't want much, just speed, max speed, ave. speed, distance
    >>covered and time.
    >>
    >> Oh and I don't want it to cost much either.

    > Go to Kmart and get a matching Repco speedometer then! The $15 one
    > gives you current speed, trip time, trip distance, and an odometer. I
    > believe that the next one up has average/maximum speed, but I mean
    > really.
    >
    > Only caveat is that they don't cope well with hot summer sun.

    I had a $9.95 speedos from K-mart for a while -- it was hilarious, it
    wasn't "hot sun" just "sun" that did mine in. Every time you went out
    in bright sunshine the UV would reset the chip back to flashing 88:88:88

    Worked fine at night or on an overcast day. Fit for purpose? Saleable
    quality? Not likely!

    Go to cheap and you'll get what you paid for. It may not work in the
    rain, the cold, the hot or the sun, or some combination of those.

    > BTH

    Adrian

  4. peterlip

    peterlip New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2005
    Funny you should mention that, just bought one from KMart for $19.95 last week. It's the next one up, so has average & maximum. I only got it really for the odo, as I've got a GPS to do everything else.
    Cheap nasty, but seems to do the job. It was 3 degrees this morning, so no danger of hot summer sun at the moment. We'll see how it goes through the summer.

  5. jur

    jur New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2005
    No, I can't recommend a cheap cycle computer. I've had a few cheap ones and they were all cheap. Then I got slightly more expensive ones, and I still have them.

  6. thefathippy

    thefathippy Guest

    On Jun 17, 3:58 pm, "Thomas Houseman"
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Now I have my Repco bike, I'm after a cheap cycle computer for it.
    >
    > I don't want much, just speed, max speed, ave. speed, distance covered and
    > time.
    >
    > Oh and I don't want it to cost much either.

    Aldi sometimes have some good ones (<$20) with lots of functions - but
    my experience is that their wired versions are much more reliable than
    their wireless versions. That said, my wife's wireless Aldi speedo has
    been trouble free.

    Tony F

    Thanks all, I'll keep my eye out next time I visit K-mart/Aldi.

    T.