can anyone recommend a roof rack?

telcoman

Oct 1, 2005
I have a 2004 jeep grand cherokee with factory roof rack, i just started cycling again, i purchased a 05 bianchi boardwalk. Can anyone recommed a rack that would work well with my car/bike? I checked out the thule and yakima sites, but not sure what works best.

I strongly recommend that you ride each roof rack before purchasing. Finding a roof rack that fits you is far more important brand or material.

As always, if you need help using a six-speed SunTour downtube index shifter with a Campy eight speed cassette and a Dura Ace 10 speed rear derailler on your new roof rack, bourdeaux can offer some advice. And don't forget daveornee's advice: you'll want 32 double-butted spokes front and back, laced 3-cross.

Happy riding!

telcoman said:
I have a 2004 jeep grand cherokee with factory roof rack, i just started cycling again, I purchased a 05 bianchi boardwalk. Can anyone recommed a rack that would work well with my car/bike? I checked out the thule and yakima sites, but not sure what works best.

I like the Thule Velo Vice fork mount rack system. I mounted mine on my factory rack of my Taurus wagon. Easy to do. Easy to use. Check this link. It can walk you through the parts you'll need for your Grand Cherokee.

http://www.thuleracks.com/thule/product.asp?dept_id=8&sku=589

Just one caution. If you ever forget that you have your bike mounted on the roof, and you enter a low garage. :eek: You'll be fixing the garage, or the bike or the rack or all three. My sister made this mistake twice before my brother-in-law conceded to a trunk mount rack and replaced her bianchi and the trim on the garage.

GO for Thule! Quality Made in Sweden- still, I think. You can buy the basic setup and then purchase individual pieces to upgrade- compatable with most of thier other systems. Universal compatibility is so rare these days in manufacturing!! I have one from the 80s/early 90s and it's still goin' strong! Take care, FasterthanU

I also like the Thule Velo Vise roof mount - have had it for about 3 years - no problems and I can get the bike up there & secure very fast - what I want to get now is a wheel holder to go up top also - the front wheel takes up unnecesssary space inside the car. Here's a great website which is also noted on the Thule website - great prices !!!!!

www.rackwarehouse.com

Never had a problem with my Yakima system. After 8 years, it's still solid as a rock. I treat it well. I take it off during the winter months, no point in getting salt onto the threads. I have a Honda Odyssey so the size factor is similar to yours, and even at 5'-6" (I'll bet you're taller than I am), I have little trouble getting 3 bikes on and off the rack.

I once made the mistake of going through an ATM drive up window. The bike wasn't harmed, although the Yakima was. I had to buy one new mounting bracket. Otherwise, the system has been fine ever since.

also chck out Rocky Mounts. they make a really good rack for less than the Yakima and Thule products go for. We have been using Rockt Mounts since 97 and have worked flawlessly. I belive that have attachments now for factory racks. If you need to buy a set of Thule or Yakima load bars and then put the Rocky Mounts on those.

telcoman said:
I have a 2004 jeep grand cherokee with factory roof rack, i just started cycling again, i purchased a 05 bianchi boardwalk. Can anyone recommed a rack that would work well with my car/bike? I checked out the thule and yakima sites, but not sure what works best.

I also have to go with Rocky Mounts. Great products, better design IMO than the rest, and cheaper. Cool colors and fast service. If your factory rack has integrated cross bars, get The Noose, which simple clamps onto those bars without having to add the towers and bars of a Yakima or Thule setup, which add so much aerodynamic drag.

Dave McCarty