Can Armstrong stay with the attack ?

steve said:
He isn't a member here, maybe you can expand on this for our benefit?
I'm sure you would have read Kohl's interview. From cyclingnews.com:
Bernhard Kohl not only used CERA during the 2008 Tour de France, but also blood doping. The Austrian underwent three transfusions of his own blood during the race, he said on German television Monday night, after announcing his retirement from the sport. In another interview, he admitted that he first started doping at age 19 when he joined the military.

Appearing on the Beckmann talk show, Kohl said that he received the EPO derivative CERA from a "sports colleague", whose name he did not publicly mention. Kohl was suspended for two years after testing positive for CERA at the Tour.

The Austrian's manager Stefan Matschiner brought two litres of blood and centrifuge to the Tour, Kohl said. He went to Matschiner's hotel room three times to receive transfusions of half a litre. "In a few quiet minutes between massage, interviews, eating. It went pretty fast, it was all over in 20 minutes."

Meanwhile, Kohl denied that there was any systematic doping at his former Team Gerolsteiner. "I can definitely say that there as no team-organised doping." But he wouldn't comment as to whether any team doctors were involved, saying only, "If a doctor can add one and one together, then he knows that this performance didn't happen honestly."

His first exposure to doping came at age 19, when he joined the Austrian military as an athlete-soldier. "At 19, I had got maybe three or four shots," he said in an interview widely printed in the Austrian media. Doping starts in the U23 days, he said, and not just in cycling.

His continued the use of performance-enhancing substances was not hindered by doping controls. "Out of 200 controls, 198 showed nothing. And I tell you, 100 of them should have been positive. "I would give myself a shot in the morning, the controllers came an hour later - so what."

Oh look, a thread about cycling. Oh, wait. It's about Armstrong cycling. We can't have that.

doping, doping, doping,
doping, doping, doping,
doping, doping, doping,
doping, doping, doping, doping,
doping, doping, doping, doping, doping,
doping, doping, doping,
doping, doping, doping,
doping, doping, doping,
doping, doping, doping.

There, that's better.

Yes, LA can hang on in the mountains. I felt he was the strongest on the stage where AC attacked. His legs look bigger and more muscular this year, but I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

So we have "the service provider" AFLD from France, taking samples in Spain and *****ing at an Irishman who's the head of an organization based in Switzerland. It'll be CONI (Italy) who'll be pushing for the first ban based on evidence from a German newspaper.

... but seriously (not that I take this place seriously...), what IS the protocol for a 'surprise' visit? There has to be something in writing about exactly what is supposed to happen. Is there something in ink that says they have to whip their shorts off and pee in a cup on demand or is there a given timeframe that things are supposed to happen in?

Well that doesn't help Astana any. I am not sure if anyone will attack today but I would expect Astana to try and ride the front to control the tempo and contain the other GC's

While we knew LA couldn't gave chase when AC attacked, given the number of other riders that subsequently attacked LA's group (Wiggins, Evans, etc.) w/o a response from LA , I think it's safe to say that he cannot stay with attacks in the high mountains.

Even Kloden, who was pacing Lance on the slopes, managed to finish ahead of him. Though the old fox is probably still within hunting distance on an ITT, but I think AC will continue to increase the gap in the days ahead.to prevent an ITT surprise. And I think LA must now resign himself to being AC's domestique - though I wonder if he's going to pull the card that he's not getting paid by Astana to refuse to pace AC.

serpico7 said:
While we knew LA couldn't gave chase when AC attacked, given the number of other riders that subsequently attacked LA's group (Wiggins, Evans, etc.) w/o a response from LA , I think it's safe to say that he cannot stay with attacks in the high mountains.
The courier with his blood refill must have gotten lost.

TheDarkLord said:
Blood refill or not, age is bound to take its toll...
you wouldn't think so given the way liggett and sherwen have been talking up his chances before today's stage.

slovakguy said:
you wouldn't think so given the way liggett and sherwen have been talking up his chances before today's stage.
And by the end of today's stage they were going on about what a great job he did to finish ahead of so many riders at his age.

His comeback reminds me of Jordan's comeback with the Wizards.

Armstrong has shown his cards today. After Contador took off he was leading the chase group then had Kloden drag him along. If he was a real team player he'd have let others in the group make the pace. Instead he was busting himself to keep up thinking only of himself.

I guess it is lost on a few folks that LA never said he wanted to win the TDF this year, if I remember right he said he was only there to support AC and after taking a few years off he is still in SECOND PLACE after 15 days. I am willing to bet that just about every other single rider , except AC, would love to be sitting where he is right now.

serpico7 said:

Even Kloden, who was pacing Lance on the slopes, managed to finish ahead of him. Though the old fox is probably still within hunting distance on an ITT, but I think AC will continue to increase the gap in the days ahead.to prevent an ITT surprise. And I think LA must now resign himself to being AC's domestique - though I wonder if he's going to pull the card that he's not getting paid by Astana to refuse to pace AC.

I don't think the word domestique is part of Armstrong's vocabulary. I would love to see Armstrong working for someone else but it would be a humbling experience from someone who has proven himself far from humble.

Farmguy said:
I guess it is lost on a few folks that LA never said he wanted to win the TDF this year, if I remember right he said he was only there to support AC and after taking a few years off he is still in SECOND PLACE after 15 days. I am willing to bet that just about every other single rider , except AC, would love to be sitting where he is right now.
it's not been lost on a few folks around here that armstrong has been changing his tune about his aspirations since he announced his "come back." he seems to want to have it both ways.

Have you considered that when the guy first talked about coming back he might well have thought I was the best even if I've lost a bit I should still be in the running. then he gets into the real world and realises ch**st there are thigns that ache that I didn't know I had. Blimey this is a bit fast and there's alot of lunatics in this pack. Crash Ouch oooh that hurt bugger now I've got a bolt through my neck. Well OLets be a bit more realistic here. It would be nice to finish well. I know that after a long layoff I do the same thing. (I'm a **** amateur though I used to be ok) Believe me coming back to cycling at the age of 40 taught me a thing or do I didn't want to know. Whilst LA had kept himself in shape he still had a way to go to be a TdF winner. I reckon its harder than he expected. I still say all kudos to the guy for having the bottle to try and further all kudos to the guy for taking the punishment and sticking with it as it becomes more obvious that he might not win.

A bit of spin can be forgiven. Most people utilise spin. He's been very cagey throughout the tour though he finally admitted he wanted to win. I'm sure if he hadn't he wouldn't be trying. He also said he'd see how things went before making the judgement.

Farmguy said:
Yeah, right. Just after he recently said that unless Contador proved himself, he would not ride for him. :rolleyes: