Can bad enough sunburn stop hair growth?

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Gar, Feb 16, 2004.

  1. Gar

    Gar Guest

    About a year and a half ago I was on a boat all day and got a pretty good sunburn on my lower legs.
    It was a weird burn since it was only on the outer sides of my legs, split almost straight down my
    shins. Ever since then the hair where the sunburn was doesnt grow any hair. The insides of my lower
    leg have hair but the outsides have almost nothing. Is it possible to have damaged my skin to the
    point where i doesnt grow hair anymore? Could this just be a temporary thing?

    Thanks in advance, Brian

    Tags:

  2. Murray Hudon

    Murray Hudon Guest

    Hi Brian,

    It would have to be a pretty significant burn!!! Hair growth occurs in the subcutaneous layers of
    the skin, and typically, a sunburn only involves the epidermal layers (or cutaneous layers) of skin.

    With this in mind, there is not a lot of epidermal tissue along the outside of the leg, particularly
    near the shin, so it is possible that you have damaged the hair follicles in that area, and no new
    hair growth will occur, permanently!

    Regards,

    Murray A.W. Hudon, R.N.

    [email protected]