can being out in the cold cause dehydration??

Sherwood Alabas

Guest
Quick question here: Lately, I am in the position where I
have to be out in the cold at night. I dress warmly, but
after 2-3 hours I do start getting a little cold and come
back into a warm area. Temperatures outdoors generally range
from 25-35 degrees F. After I then go to bed and awaken in
the morning, I find my urine bright yellow and I sometimes
have a headache. I get the same symptoms from exercising,
which of course is dehydration and I drink water to
compensate, but is there something about being out in the
cold causing dehydration also?

Thanks, Sherwood

Sherwood Alabaster <[email protected]> wrote:
> Quick question here: Lately, I am in the position where I
> have to be out in the cold at night. I dress warmly, but
> after 2-3 hours I do start getting a little cold and come
> back into a warm area. Temperatures outdoors generally
> range from 25-35 degrees F. After I then go to bed and
> awaken in the morning, I find my urine bright yellow

Yup, that's a sign, not a certain as dark brown.

> and I sometimes have a headache. I get the same symptoms
> from exercising, which of course is dehydration and I
> drink water to compensate, but is there something about
> being out in the cold causing dehydration also?

My understanding is that ppl in the cold aren't as aware
of the need to rehydrate (i.e. drink) as in the heat. One
loses water through respiration in dry air in the cold
just the same as in hot air.

Dehydration is a risk in winter, see:

"http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/columnnn/nn990203.html
Water "http://www.allweathersports.com/winter/winter.html#M-