can being out in the cold cause dehydration??

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Sherwood Alabas, Mar 14, 2004.

  1. Quick question here: Lately, I am in the position where I
    have to be out in the cold at night. I dress warmly, but
    after 2-3 hours I do start getting a little cold and come
    back into a warm area. Temperatures outdoors generally range
    from 25-35 degrees F. After I then go to bed and awaken in
    the morning, I find my urine bright yellow and I sometimes
    have a headache. I get the same symptoms from exercising,
    which of course is dehydration and I drink water to
    compensate, but is there something about being out in the
    cold causing dehydration also?

    Thanks, Sherwood

    Tags:

  2. Contrarian

    Contrarian Guest

    Sherwood Alabaster <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Quick question here: Lately, I am in the position where I
    > have to be out in the cold at night. I dress warmly, but
    > after 2-3 hours I do start getting a little cold and come
    > back into a warm area. Temperatures outdoors generally
    > range from 25-35 degrees F. After I then go to bed and
    > awaken in the morning, I find my urine bright yellow

    Yup, that's a sign, not a certain as dark brown.

    > and I sometimes have a headache. I get the same symptoms
    > from exercising, which of course is dehydration and I
    > drink water to compensate, but is there something about
    > being out in the cold causing dehydration also?

    My understanding is that ppl in the cold aren't as aware
    of the need to rehydrate (i.e. drink) as in the heat. One
    loses water through respiration in dry air in the cold
    just the same as in hot air.

    Dehydration is a risk in winter, see:

    "http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/columnnn/nn990203.html
    Water "http://www.allweathersports.com/winter/winter.html#M-