Can Burley Trailers Work For Rear Suspended Recumbent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Edward Wong

I'm thinking of getting a cargo trailer for my new Scooterbike, probably a Burley. The Scooterbike
is rear suspended and is equiped with a pannier rack combo. I remember reading somewhere that
trailers could present a challange to rear suspended recumbents though I believe the caution was for
single wheeled trailers like the B.O.B. units which could place stress on the swingarm as you
corner. Would a two wheeled trailer work well with rear suspension? What do you guys/gals think?

Edward Wong Orlando, FL

I ride a BikeE RX, and last fall did a 1200 mile tour with a cheap ($79) kiddie trailer from Target.
The trailer was supposedly rated for 100 lb loads. I found that lightly loaded (25 to 30 lb) the
trailer worked fine with the swingarm on the RX; I was hardly aware of the load. But when I carried
50+ lb the trailer caused a noticeable oscillation in the ride.

I visited REI a couple weeks ago to see if the standard Burley hitch would work with my BikeE. Nope.
It's designed for use with rear triangles. Last week I visited Burley's website and left a message
asking if an alternate hitch is available. No response yet. Since Burley's recumbent bike line does
not use a rear triangle, you'd think they'd have an alternate hitch. If I don't get a response this
week I may try calling them.

Pamela

Originally posted by Pamela Dallas

It's designed for use with rear triangles. Last week I visited Burley's website and left a message
asking if an alternate hitch is available.
Pamela [/B]

Pamela,

Burley does indeed have an alternate hitch option. It replaces the QR skewer on your rear wheel, and allows you to connect the burley (without the rear-triangle attachment thingy) directly to an attachment on the skewer. I've actually got one laying around, since my Burley got stolen before I got a chance to install it :(.

-Rick

-Rick

>Pamela Dallas at [email protected] wrote on 5/24/03 11:28 AM: <snip> I visited REI a couple
>weeks ago to see if the standard Burley hitch would work with my BikeE. Nope. It's designed for use
>with rear triangles. Last week I visited Burley's website and left a message asking if an alternate
>hitch is available. No response yet. Since Burley's recumbent bike line does not use a rear
>triangle, you'd think they'd have an alternate hitch. If I don't get a response this week I may try
>calling them.

The alternative hitch mounts off the axle nut and can be ordered through your Burley dealer. It was
cheaper if you ordereed it at the same rime as a trailer.

The Burley Nomad is indeed designed to work with the rear suspended bikes and also non-triangulated chainstays bikes. It has virtually no stress on the hitch due to the placement of the two wheels. They produce a really nice universal alternative hitch. It is really easy to use.

I highly recommend one of these.

Derek

Originally posted by Edward Wong
I'm thinking of getting a cargo trailer for my new Scooterbike, probably a Burley. The Scooterbike
is rear suspended and is equiped with a pannier rack combo. I remember reading somewhere that
trailers could present a challange to rear suspended recumbents though I believe the caution was for
single wheeled trailers like the B.O.B. units which could place stress on the swingarm as you
corner. Would a two wheeled trailer work well with rear suspension? What do you guys/gals think?

> The Burley Nomad is indeed designed to work with the rear suspended bikes and also
> non-triangulated chainstays bikes. It has virtually no stress on the hitch due to the placement of
> the two wheels. They produce a really nice universal alternative hitch. It is really easy to use.
>
> I highly recommend one of these.
>
> Derek

Cool Derek! The Nomad was the trailer I was referring to. I think it is not only very practical but
looks really cool with that tonneau cover to protect the cargo. Thanks to you and all who took the
time to reply;-)

Edward Wong Orlando, FL

Status
Not open for further replies.