Can Campy Mirage 10 shift 9 speed?

Sir Ridesalot

Guest
Hi there.

Can the new Campy Mirage 10 speed Ergos be used to shift the old 2001
9 speed cassette without modifying anything?

Thanks.

Peter

On Mar 31, 11:37 am, "Sir Ridesalot" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Hi there.
>
> Can the new Campy Mirage 10 speed Ergos be used to shift the old 2001
> 9 speed cassette without modifying anything?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Peter

Nope. Requires a #2 Shiftmate.
http://jtekengineering.com/shiftmate.htm

Also, the new shifters aren't compatible with the old FDs.

> Also, the new shifters aren't compatible with the old FDs.

Why is that?
--
Phil

On Mar 31, 2:07 pm, "Phil, Non-Squid" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> > Also, the new shifters aren't compatible with the old FDs.

> Why is that?
> --
> Phil

QuickShift - Different cable pull ratio, and because it's fully
indexed, you don't have the flexibility you had with the micro-indexed
ergos.

On Mar 31, 9:33 pm, "Hank Wirtz" <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mar 31, 2:07 pm, "Phil, Non-Squid" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> > > Also, the new shifters aren't compatible with the old FDs.

> > Why is that?
> > --
> > Phil

> QuickShift - Different cable pull ratio, and because it's fully
> indexed, you don't have the flexibility you had with the micro-indexed
> ergos.

Hi there and thanks.

Okay, the 10 speed Ergos are out.

How about the 9 speed Mirage Ergos, are they fully indexed in the
front now too?

Thanks again from Peter

On Mar 31, 7:24 pm, "Sir Ridesalot" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> On Mar 31, 9:33 pm, "Hank Wirtz" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Why is that?
> > > --
> > > Phil

> > QuickShift - Different cable pull ratio, and because it's fully
> > indexed, you don't have the flexibility you had with the micro-indexed
> > ergos.

> Hi there and thanks.
>
> Okay, the 10 speed Ergos are out.
>
> How about the 9 speed Mirage Ergos, are they fully indexed in the
> front now too?
>
> Thanks again from Peter

9-speed ones are micro-indexed in front, and are compatible with any
crank/FD combo. My mom has them with a Shimano RSX FD and a Dotek
triple crank on her touring bike. They've been discontinued, but
Nashbar has them on closeout for 99.99 at the moment. Don't know how
long they'll stay in stock at that price.

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?sku=19691

Good luck!

On Mar 31, 1:11 pm, "Hank Wirtz" <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mar 31, 11:37 am, "Sir Ridesalot" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi there.

> > Can the new Campy Mirage 10 speed Ergos be used to shift the old 2001
> > 9 speed cassette without modifying anything?

> > Thanks.

> > Peter

> Nope. Requires a #2 Shiftmate.http://jtekengineering.com/shiftmate.htm
>
> Also, the new shifters aren't compatible with the old FDs.

..2007 left shifters WILL shift older FDs if you mount the cable under
the fixing bolt.

On Mar 31, 10:33 pm, "Hank Wirtz" <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mar 31, 7:24 pm, "Sir Ridesalot" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

> > On Mar 31, 9:33 pm, "Hank Wirtz" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > QuickShift - Different cable pull ratio, and because it's fully
> > > indexed, you don't have the flexibility you had with the micro-indexed
> > > ergos.

> > Hi there and thanks.

> > Okay, the 10 speed Ergos are out.

> > How about the 9 speed Mirage Ergos, are they fully indexed in the
> > front now too?

> > Thanks again from Peter

> 9-speed ones are micro-indexed in front, and are compatible with any
> crank/FD combo. My mom has them with a Shimano RSX FD and a Dotek
> triple crank on her touring bike. They've been discontinued, but
> Nashbar has them on closeout for 99.99 at the moment. Don't know how
> long they'll stay in stock at that price.
>
> http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?sku=19691
>
> Good luck!- Hide quoted text -

Hi again all.

Thanks to all for all the advice and caveats.

At one point I was seriously considering going retro with friction
shifters on the downtube with this bike! To change from 8 gears to 10
gears can really add up in a hurry! VBG

I finally decided to go with the 2006 nine speed Mirage Ergos at
Nashbar. I also ordered a 14 - 25 cassette as my first choice and a 12
- 25 cassette as the second choice. The chain I will buy lbs since
that at least is one item the shops here have in stock.

I noticed that Campy no longer makes a front derailleur that will fit
a 28.? steel seat tube. Pity that. Does any one know where a 28.?
Campy derailleur clamp can be purchased?

Thanks again all and cheers from Peter.

On Apr 1, 9:31 pm, "Sir Ridesalot" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I noticed that Campy no longer makes a front derailleur that will fit
> a 28.? steel seat tube. Pity that. Does any one know where a 28.?
> Campy derailleur clamp can be purchased?

Ebay.

If you can find just about any Campy FD made in the last decade, you
can pop off the circlip (or unscrew the allen bolt for the higher-end
ones), slide the rest of the mech off of the clamp-side pivots and
swap them around. I've got a 28.6 clamp that came with a Xenon Triple
front, that I then put a Veloce 9-speed triple on that I got cheap
because itr came with a 35mm clamp. That mech broke in a freakish way
unrelated to the clamp, so I then humg a 10speed Veloce triple on it,
and I'm using that on my touring bike to this day.

Barring that, get a Braze-on adapter clamp. They range anywhere from
$2.50 to about $15, and do not need to be made by Campy, since theirs
only come in 32 & 25 anyway. I got one at Nashbar 'cause it was $2.50,
and I don't even need it right now. But with three steel bikes, it
seemed like a good thing to have in the toolbox just in case.

On Apr 1, 10:31 pm, "Sir Ridesalot" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> On Mar 31, 10:33 pm, "Hank Wirtz" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On Mar 31, 7:24 pm, "Sir Ridesalot" <[email protected]>
> > wrote:

> > > Hi there and thanks.

> > > Okay, the 10 speed Ergos are out.

> > > How about the 9 speed Mirage Ergos, are they fully indexed in the
> > > front now too?

> > > Thanks again from Peter

> > 9-speed ones are micro-indexed in front, and are compatible with any
> > crank/FD combo. My mom has them with a Shimano RSX FD and a Dotek
> > triple crank on her touring bike. They've been discontinued, but
> > Nashbar has them on closeout for 99.99 at the moment. Don't know how
> > long they'll stay in stock at that price.

> >http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?sku=19691

> > Good luck!- Hide quoted text -

> Hi again all.
>
> Thanks to all for all the advice and caveats.
>
> At one point I was seriously considering going retro with friction
> shifters on the downtube with this bike! To change from 8 gears to 10
> gears can really add up in a hurry! VBG
>
> I finally decided to go with the 2006 nine speed Mirage Ergos at
> Nashbar. I also ordered a 14 - 25 cassette as my first choice and a 12
> - 25 cassette as the second choice. The chain I will buy lbs since
> that at least is one item the shops here have in stock.
>
> I noticed that Campy no longer makes a front derailleur that will fit
> a 28.? steel seat tube. Pity that. Does any one know where a 28.?
> Campy derailleur clamp can be purchased?

Triples only Still have 28.6 for double and can swap any clamp onto
any Campag FD.

Sir Ridesalot wrote:
> At one point I was seriously considering going retro with friction
> shifters on the downtube with this bike! To change from 8 gears to 10
> gears can really add up in a hurry! VBG
>
> I finally decided to go with the 2006 nine speed Mirage Ergos at
> Nashbar. I also ordered a 14 - 25 cassette as my first choice and a 12
> - 25 cassette as the second choice. The chain I will buy lbs since
> that at least is one item the shops here have in stock.
>
> I noticed that Campy no longer makes a front derailleur that will fit
> a 28.? steel seat tube. Pity that. Does any one know where a 28.?
> Campy derailleur clamp can be purchased?

Just get the braze model front and an aftermarket 28.6mm clamp at your
friendly competent LBS.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

On Apr 2, 2:11 pm, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:

> > "Hank Wirtz" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> 9-speed ones are micro-indexed in front, and are compatible with any
> >> crank/FD combo. My mom has them with a Shimano RSX FD and a Dotek
> >> triple crank on her touring bike. They've been discontinued, but
> >> Nashbar has them on closeout for 99.99 at the moment. Don't know how
> >> long they'll stay in stock at that price.
> >>http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?sku=19691

> Sir Ridesalot wrote:
> > At one point I was seriously considering going retro with friction
> > shifters on the downtube with this bike! To change from 8 gears to 10
> > gears can really add up in a hurry! VBG

> > I finally decided to go with the 2006 nine speed Mirage Ergos at
> > Nashbar. I also ordered a 14 - 25 cassette as my first choice and a 12
> > - 25 cassette as the second choice. The chain I will buy lbs since
> > that at least is one item the shops here have in stock.

> > I noticed that Campy no longer makes a front derailleur that will fit
> > a 28.? steel seat tube. Pity that. Does any one know where a 28.?
> > Campy derailleur clamp can be purchased?

> Just get the braze model front and an aftermarket 28.6mm clamp at your
> friendly competent LBS.
>
> --
> Andrew Muziwww.yellowjersey.org
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971- Hide quoted text -

Hi Andrew.

Oh how I wish we had a friendly (well they are friendly enough) and
*COMPETENT* LBS here!

Getting Campy stuff in this city is like trying to get hens teeth. I
ordered Mirage levers over a week ago and was told no Canadian
supplier has them.

Cheers from Peter

On Mar 31, 6:33 pm, "Hank Wirtz" <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mar 31, 2:07 pm, "Phil, Non-Squid" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> > > Also, the new shifters aren't compatible with the old FDs.

> > Why is that?
> > --
> > Phil

> QuickShift - Different cable pull ratio, and because it's fully
> indexed, you don't have the flexibility you had with the micro-indexed
> ergos.

Ugh!. Is this also true of 2007 Veloce and Centaur? I can't use any
front derailleur, only a Campy?

Tom

On Apr 2, 8:22 am, "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> On Apr 1, 10:31 pm, "Sir Ridesalot" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

> > On Mar 31, 10:33 pm, "Hank Wirtz" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > 9-speed ones are micro-indexed in front, and are compatible with any
> > > crank/FD combo. My mom has them with a Shimano RSX FD and a Dotek
> > > triple crank on her touring bike. They've been discontinued, but
> > > Nashbar has them on closeout for 99.99 at the moment. Don't know how
> > > long they'll stay in stock at that price.

> > >http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?sku=19691

> > > Good luck!- Hide quoted text -

> > Hi again all.

> > Thanks to all for all the advice and caveats.

> > At one point I was seriously considering going retro with friction
> > shifters on the downtube with this bike! To change from 8 gears to 10
> > gears can really add up in a hurry! VBG

> > I finally decided to go with the 2006 nine speed Mirage Ergos at
> > Nashbar. I also ordered a 14 - 25 cassette as my first choice and a 12
> > - 25 cassette as the second choice. The chain I will buy lbs since
> > that at least is one item the shops here have in stock.

> > I noticed that Campy no longer makes a front derailleur that will fit
> > a 28.? steel seat tube. Pity that. Does any one know where a 28.?
> > Campy derailleur clamp can be purchased?

> Triples only Still have 28.6 for double and can swap any clamp onto
> any Campag FD.
>

> > Thanks again all and cheers from Peter.- Hide quoted text -

Hi Peter.

When I looked on the web at Veloce and Mirage front derailleurs all I
saw were the 32 and 35 mm clamps even on the triples. How much do you
charge for a 9 spd Mirage front triple derailleur with a 28.6mm clamp?

Cheers from Peter

Sir Ridesalot wrote:
> Oh how I wish we had a friendly (well they are friendly enough) and
> *COMPETENT* LBS here!
> Getting Campy stuff in this city is like trying to get hens teeth. I
> ordered Mirage levers over a week ago and was told no Canadian
> supplier has them.

Needn't be a Campagnolo. Several brands exist all cheap, all fit.

--

[email protected] wrote:
> Ugh!. Is this also true of 2007 Veloce and Centaur? I can't use any
> front derailleur, only a Campy?

Don't despair- try your present setup; you may be pleasantly surprised.
--

On Apr 2, 12:09 pm, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:

> > "Hank Wirtz" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> QuickShift - Different cable pull ratio, and because it's fully
> >> indexed, you don't have the flexibility you had with the micro-indexed
> >> ergos.

> [email protected] wrote:
> > Ugh!. Is this also true of 2007 Veloce and Centaur? I can't use any
> > front derailleur, only a Campy?

> Don't despair- try your present setup; you may be pleasantly surprised.

My present setup is STIs. But they are now too expensive. My
intention was to get a 2007 Veloce for $139 at Excel Sport, a
Shiftmate and go with my Shimano fder and be happy. But if I have to
buy a $40 Campy fder also I might as well get a STI Tiagra for $170
for Sunshine Cyclery.

I need to be educated on all this Campy marketing-speak, "Escape",
"Quickshift", etc. I thought Quickshift just meant less effort on the
shifter and fewer racheting points. But it sounds like it is a
totally indexed system, no trim, like older STI. At least STIs now
have a couple of trim positions on the fder.

Tom

On Apr 2, 12:35 pm, "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> I need to be educated on all this Campy marketing-speak, "Escape",
> "Quickshift", etc. I thought Quickshift just meant less effort on the
> shifter and fewer racheting points. But it sounds like it is a
> totally indexed system, no trim, like older STI. At least STIs now
> have a couple of trim positions on the fder.

There's trim, like current STI. With the older ones, it was however
many clicks it took to move the chain.

On Apr 2, 1:53 pm, "Hank Wirtz" <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Apr 2, 12:35 pm, "[email protected]"
>
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > I need to be educated on all this Campy marketing-speak, "Escape",
> > "Quickshift", etc. I thought Quickshift just meant less effort on the
> > shifter and fewer racheting points. But it sounds like it is a
> > totally indexed system, no trim, like older STI. At least STIs now
> > have a couple of trim positions on the fder.

> There's trim, like current STI. With the older ones, it was however
> many clicks it took to move the chain.

Thanks. So will it work with any fder I put on? It sounds like the
answer is no.

Tom