Can cycling give you tarsal tunnel syndrome?

anderbike

Apr 1, 2005
stopped running in march 6 due to hanglunds deformity. i got up to about 50 miles a week. so then i took up the bike. it was good times, until i started having pain in my heels. i thought it was numerous different problems but after one total month of no riding the condition has not gotten any better and i have further educated myself on the subject of all injuries.

my pain seems to be classic signs of tarsal tunnel, for those of who dont know it is the equivalent of carpel tunnel, yet i have not had the electro nerve condutions study done and it will be done on this coming wednesday.

has anyone ever herd about cycling aggravating such a condition? it doesnt feel good and it is really worrying me, any adive would be pretty appreciated.

anderbike said:
stopped running in march 6 due to hanglunds deformity. i got up to about 50 miles a week. so then i took up the bike. it was good times, until i started having pain in my heels. i thought it was numerous different problems but after one total month of no riding the condition has not gotten any better and i have further educated myself on the subject of all injuries.

my pain seems to be classic signs of tarsal tunnel, for those of who dont know it is the equivalent of carpel tunnel, yet i have not had the electro nerve condutions study done and it will be done on this coming wednesday.

has anyone ever herd about cycling aggravating such a condition? it doesnt feel good and it is really worrying me, any adive would be pretty appreciated.

Is heel pain a 'classic symptom' of tarsal tunnel syndrome????

If you're getting Hagluns type problems, you may be irritating the tibial nerve.

Most of these calcaneal/achilles problems are traction injuries from shortened or tight calf muscles, caused by overuse/inadequate rest/too much too soon(you don't give any history of how quickly you got to 50 miles or how much you've done on the bike since March.

Start with lots of massage into the calves(not stretching, this invariably irritates it). Check you're not pedalling with toes down. Orthotics can help with support. And take your time, let the body catch up on rest days or easy
weeks.

Agree with ElRamon on this one. As a sports doc, TT tends to give numbness and pain on the bottom of the foot, not in the heel. I would recommend custom made orthotics to give control to the ankle and foot, it will help, to some degree, with the Haglunds. Admittedly, I had forgotten what Haglunds was, in school, we always referred to it as the Pump Bump, the name due to the fact womens shoes can cause these. Just like ElRamon stated, work on the gastroc/soleus group with stretching and deep tissue work. Either way, you should know more after your diagnostic testing.

DocK said:
Agree with ElRamon on this one. As a sports doc, TT tends to give numbness and pain on the bottom of the foot, not in the heel. I would recommend custom made orthotics to give control to the ankle and foot, it will help, to some degree, with the Haglunds. Admittedly, I had forgotten what Haglunds was, in school, we always referred to it as the Pump Bump, the name due to the fact womens shoes can cause these. Just like ElRamon stated, work on the gastroc/soleus group with stretching and deep tissue work. Either way, you should know more after your diagnostic testing.

well heel pain isnt the only symptom...

you see by heel i mean under the foot, kinda like plantar facitis, but it isnt this. also pain on the inner ankle is also sometimes bothersome. the other day i had some wierd sensation i guess u could call tingling, but no numbness. i would do pretty ong rides each day. anywhere from 30 to 40 depending on the day exct. never did a long ride over about 45-50.