Can Cycling/sitting Too Much Kill You?

Vickeree

Mar 11, 2015
We've all heard of "sitting is the new smoking" where studies show the correlation between sitting too much and back problems, obesity, diabetes and the stem of a lot of injuries due to shortened hip flexors and even a 2hour high intensity exercise is not enough to counter the detrimental effects if sitting all day... I wonder if long hours of bike training could have the same effect?

What ate your thoughts ? Personally I think this can easily be resolved by doing full range squats a few times per week to maintain hip mobility..

Reactions: haleylx4
I don't think biking would even vaguely fall in the same category. You have to actively use muscles to maintain your balance and posture, which isn't the case when sitting in a chair. You're also constantly making small movements and adjustments. It may not seem like much, but it makes a difference in your muscles and your metabolism.

Here's an article discussing this question, as well: http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/health-fitness/exercise/is-sitting-on-a-bicycle-as-bad-as-sitting-in-a-chair

Sitting generally refers to relaxing in a less than healthy position. If anything, cycling significantly increases your life expectancy. More people die from cardiovascular issues than a bad back from sitting too much.

Well that's good to know... Thanks for the link coolcat! I guess 'kill you' might be exaggeratedba bit, but now I still make an effort to squat instead of sitting 90 degrees whenever I can and always do some kind of hip opening stretches after a long ride.

No it wouldn't kill you. As long as you are active and moving those muscles, it would not be classified as inactive action in which case sitting is under.

I highly doubt sitting in the saddle of a bike would kill you. When you're riding your muscles are constantly moving and the blood is flowing smoothly so I don't think there is any chance of getting that deep vain thrombosis.

If however, you were using an electric bike I would voice a teeny-tiny bit on concern, but even then I don't think there is much risk.

As long as you have a proper riding position and saddle the only thing that could kill you is really not cycling enough.

Riding a bike is definitely more beneficial than sitting! You increase your muscle strength, posture, coordination and joint mobility!

I don't think that biking can be put anywhere near the same category as sitting around too much. In fact, I think it would be just the opposite; cycling isn't likely to cause more harm than good unless you're doing literally too much of it.
I have heard, actually, about someone who fit into the 'too much' category. It was a man on the TLS "My Strange Addictions" show who was obsessed with cycling to the point that it was causing him multiple health issues confirmed by his doctor. He spent 8 hours a day riding, 7 days a week. It was causing some part in his legs, can't remember which exactly, to deteriorate at the bone and break down.

Here's the video introduction to it if anyone is interested in seeing: Link

after a person sits on a bike for 70 plus years of their life they will more than likely die, so yes it will eventually kill you.

Reactions: steve
Froze said:
after a person sits on a bike for 70 plus years of their life they will more than likely die, so yes it will eventually kill you.
sitting on a bike when a car hits you is also quite dangerous.

steve said:
sitting on a bike when a car hits you is also quite dangerous.
If you're that worried about a car hitting you, which obviously you are or you wouldn't said what you said, then you need to stop riding.

No, it's the fact that sitting is not moving, the blood is circulating slowly when you are sitting still. Cycling is very active, so just because you are "sitting" on a bike seat does not mean you are sedentary.

DancingLady said:
No, it's the fact that sitting is not moving, the blood is circulating slowly when you are sitting still. Cycling is very active, so just because you are "sitting" on a bike seat does not mean you are sedentary.
That's right and aside from sitting still and being sedentary, what makes sitting so deleterious to our health is the 90 degree position of the hip flexors, instead of the full range bottom squat position. From what I understand this is the cause of chronic back problems and is the root cause of most injuries the good thing about cycling is it is not the same position as sitting upright.

Pardon me but I think the title of this thread is too harsh. Sitting cannot kill you, hahahaaa. Sorry for the laughter, just got excited because this applies to me. My work is a sedentary job of sitting in my office and then I would bike, that's sitting too on the saddle. I agree that too much sitting affects our health and in fact it is not healthy to sit for long hours. In our office, we have a policy of at least standing up and walking a few meters after one hour of sitting down. But we cannot observe that faithfully when I am concentrating on my work.

I've known people who lived to be over 100 that mostly all they did was sit, sit at work when they worked, sit at home when they didn't. This all goes back to genetics. I do think those that stay active have a more rewarding life but it's not a guarantee you'll outlive setters, in fact I knew active cyclists who simply died of natural causes at the youngest age I can remember of just 63 and others older than that but not much, I personally know of no cyclists either active or no longer due to advance age that made it to 100 even. There is currently one exception of some French cyclist who is 102 or 103 that rides 40 some odd miles a day and broke the one hour record for his age category, age category? yes, he's in the 100 and above age category for the record books, he's the only person that has ever gotten into this category!!.

Active and sedentary lifestyles are different haha. Cycling helps burn calories and increases circulation and helps keep the body fit. There's lots of factors that play into life expectancy and health. Generally humans aren't meant for sedentary lifestyles. It atrophies muscles, leads to obesity and other health issues. I have a more sedentary lifestyle right now due to circumstances and I honestly don't feel as healthy as I was when I was more active. Sure some people may not get as long of a life expectancy with activity alone due to genetics but it doesn't hurt to offset other preventable diseases through exercise such as type 2 diabetes and more. Not only that but exercise also encourages bone density strength which helps out in the long run when people get older. So there are lots of benefits to being active even if your genes won't let you live to 105. If it will prevent a much earlier death that could have been managed and cut down on the need to visit the doctors then it's worth it.

Oh the cyclical cycle of cycling & death

87456fef60d41dfd17cded035ac24a29.jpg

Reactions: Vickeree