Can Cycling/sitting Too Much Kill You?

Froze said:
If you're that worried about a car hitting you, which obviously you are or you wouldn't said what you said, then you need to stop riding.
very funny :p

steve said:
very funny :p
I'm actually very serious! When a rider is paranoid about being in an accident they are actually more prone to having an accident because it makes you fixate on one thing rather than taking in the whole picture, it also makes for an erratic riding because you're tense, and makes an unpleasant riding experience. When you're nervous you don't react properly to think fast enough about how to avoid an accident.

I use to ride all over Los Angeles county area including the main city, and this was before bicycle lanes and paths were much considered, and I never worried about having an accident, I simply rode my bike like I drive my car, defensively but not worried, I'm sure you drive your car that way too, so ride your bike that way.

I'm not saying if you ride your bike the way you drive your car you'll never have an accident, but you're simply taking the worrying part out the equation and reducing your chances of an accident. And if an accident ever does happen...so what? I'm sure you had an accident driving a car, did it force you to stop driving? did that accident make you nervous to drive to this day? I doubt it, and so it is with riding a bike, get back on the bike as soon as physically able and ride without thinking about it. Once you start thinking about what I'm telling you and start riding your bike with the same mental process going on when driving a car you'll understand what I was telling you and be a much calmer nervous free rider.

I think worrying too much about something actually increases the chance of it happening... Similar to the law of attraction stuff and also reminded me of a study I've read where more people driving on a slippery curve hit the telephone booth because they focus on steering away from it compared to people who focused on looking at the safe part of the road.

Vickeree said:
I think worrying too much about something actually increases the chance of it happening... Similar to the law of attraction stuff and also reminded me of a study I've read where more people driving on a slippery curve hit the telephone booth because they focus on steering away from it compared to people who focused on looking at the safe part of the road.
DING DING DING DING, we have a winner! Exactomundo. I like to call it self fulfilling prophecy

Sitting like a couch potato will certainly kill you in the long run. My only concern about sitting on the saddle for a long time is for the male specie. I am thinking about the effects of it on the prostate does anyone here get bothered by that or had thought about it yet? That is my main concern now and not some couch potato sedentary lifestyle

llfsa said:
As long as you have a proper riding position and saddle the only thing that could kill you is really not cycling enough.
Haha, of course, right. :D

Lizel said:
Haha, of course, right. :D
That comment your responding too isn't exactly correct, it's just a mantra, genetics plays more of a role then people realize. I've known lots of people who died into their 80's, 90's, and even 100's and all they did was sit, sit at work, sit at home, sit the whole time they were retired, eventually sat in wheelchairs and were pushed around for years; and I've known people who died from all sorts of stuff including simply natural causes that were athletic well before their 70's. Not saying being active doesn't help, but it helps more with the quality of life and not the quantity of life.

Reactions: Vickeree
Sitting is the new smoking? I think it is all about circulation. Sitting in a chair or recliner doesn't circulate your blood or system. Biking does a great job of getting the blood circulating. You can stand up as often as you want. I like to do that to change the muscle group slightly to hit the gluteal muscles. Legs in constant motion like smoking just because you are balancing on a seat once and awhile. No, not really. Lol, balancing your torso on the pedals and seat engages your core to an extent. It is not the same as other forms of exercise like walking, jogging, or running. This engages the core on a constant and vigorous way that will flatten the stomach. If you are attempting to flatten your stomach with biking and it is big. You have a long way to go because it may not happen.
Lol, the recumbent bike might fit into the sitting being the new smoking but there is still some motion.