Can Disk Brakes flip you over the handle bars?

[email protected] wrote:

> I've seen nay recumbents with a small front wheel and cranks and
> pedals forward of that wheel.

My Streetmachine has a 20" front wheel and the cranks ahead of it.

> These units will endo easily while the
> rider remains firmly in the seat.

For some values of "easily"... I find that if I slam on the anchors in
an emergency stop I get both wheels skidding, and no hint of an endo.

> The advantage is that the rider, if
> a bit agile, will land on his feet running. The bike does not fare as
> well as it overturns and scraped the road.

What happens in my direct experience on a Streetmachine is I skid to a
stop, still in the seat, still the right way up and think "!"
For me, direct empirical evidence trumps theory.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

On 2008-05-01, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
[...]
>> It's not really the energy from your hands that's important, but the
>> force they can apply. That force can be geared up to give you as
>> much force as you want on the rim/disk.

> In what units are you measuring "energy" or do you mean "force"?

I'm not measuring energy but if I was I would use Joules.
I mean energy when I say "energy" and force when I say "force".

My point is that it takes very little energy from a rider to squeeze the
brakes. You have to move your fingers a short distance, but the main
requirement on your body is to maintain a force.

As discussed here previously continuous force maintenance by human
muscles does require the consumption of some energy, but it is only a
small amount.

>> You need four times as much force on a disk because it has about a
>> quarter the radius of the wheel. But in either case you just gear it
>> so it feels right for people with averagely normal hand
>> strength. This isn't the difficult part of brake design.

> That isn't the parameter of interest. Disk diameter and coefficient
> of friction both have a major effect on the ratio between application
> force and brake torque.

Yes that too, but the basic point is the same: you give the user enough
mechanical advantage to give the brakes a satisfactory feel whether they
are disk brakes or rim brakes.

An overgeared brake isn't a better brake.

>> Lots of cars didn't used to have servo assistance on the brakes.
>> All the force and work required to brake came from your leg. And
>> yet you could slow down a tonne of car from 70mph like that.

> Drum brakes used massive self servo action to achieve useful braking.
> Because that effect is highly unpredictable, they had both lock-up and
> fade. That is why we use disks today. You may recall that this was
> discussed here at great length.

There were plenty of cars with non-servo-assisted disks too.

>> The difficult part is getting rid of all the heat that the brakes
>> are converting the bike's kinetic energy into.

> Apparently the bicycle industry is not addressing that part of the
> problem when the surface area and thermal mass their gossamer rings of
> steel have.

This is why I think that disks don't really work as heat sinks but as
dissipators.

Here are my various guesses and estimates on which I'm basing this:
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk.rec.cycling/msg/991d32532f671264

> I have asked brake manufacturers why their disks are
> mostly air with a thin pattern of thin steel between. For cooling is
> the answer.

Ah but did they mean because they _look_ cool :)

> Maybe they should tell the automotive and railway people about their
> theory.

I remember a calculation here before about cross-drilled disks on cars.

I think your point was originally to slay a herring about "gas
bearings", which was fair enough, but I think it was concluded also that
a drilled disk will have a slightly higher surface area to volume ratio
than one that isn't drilled.

Same goes for a filigreed disk. But I don't really buy that "it cools
better" line either. It would have to be shown by how much and also what
the effect of a smaller surface area in contact with the pad has (for
car disks, I think those filigreed bike disks usually have a continuous
undrilled track that touches the pads).

>> Bicycle rims have enough heat capacity to just soak up the heat for
>> most stopping situations, but they can overheat badly if you need to
>> keep them on continuously because you want to go down a hill quite
>> slowly.

> It depends on gradient that gives (vertical) foot (rider weight
> (pounds) per second. The slower you go the less cooling and the less
> wind drag on the rider. There is a narrow trade-off between brake
> cooling and speed which was discussed here recently.

Indeed. For a given hill/bike there's a "worst speed" for heat buildup.
Descend either faster or slower than that speed and you're better off.

>> Disks have less capacity, but get hotter, so dissipate heat to the
>> air more rapidly. So I reckon they're better for sustainable
>> braking down long hills.

> By that measure, a wafer thin disk is all it takes, surface area and
> mass be damned.

Well surface area affects its dissipation rate, which does need to be
high by this measure.

But mass be damned, provided the thing's strong enough.

>> But for emergency stops either kind of brake (of decent quality and
>> level of maintenance) will be able to tip you over the handlebars if
>> you aren't careful.

> I doubt it. I don't know many riders who can raise the rear wheel
> while traveling at normal road speeds. In contrast, I have seen
> people go over the bars:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/3kunfl

Nice picture of a pedal, what's it got to do with going over the
handlebars?

I agree that it's hard to do though. I shouldn't have said "if you
aren't careful"-- it's not a problem practically speaking on any bike
I've ridden.

In alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent on 02 May 2008 01:44:09 GMT
[email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
> I've seen nay recumbents with a small front wheel and cranks and
> pedals forward of that wheel. These units will endo easily while the
> rider remains firmly in the seat. The advantage is that the rider, if
> a bit agile, will land on his feet running. The bike does not fare as
> well as it overturns and scraped the road.

Will they?

I've been hard on the picks (front disk even!) on my Giro 20 going
downhill. The back (v-brake) skidded, so I let up, I did my damndest not
to lock the front, and didn't (riding a motorcycle has some advantages)
but the thing showed no sign of an endo I could feel.

Indeed, trying same when I first got the disks didn't get me anywhere.
Locking the front is hard to do when you have trained for years not
to, so maybe I wasn't trying hard enough. Never felt a massive weight
transfer forward, nothing like pulling a stoppie on a motorcycle (which
I have done more than once).

If they will "endo easily" then I must be dreaming...

So I have to ask... have you ridden one? Have you managed to endo it?

If so, how? What did it feel like, when did the weight transfer get so
over rather than forward (hard transfer on a bent feels qualitatively
different to hard transfer on an upright to me), and how fast did you have
to go, and how fast were you going when you managed to get it to go over?

Zebee

Zebee Johnstone wrote:
> In alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent on Thu, 01 May 2008 22:28:25 -0500
> Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On a recumbent bicycle, the rider does not need to brace with his/her
>> arms to keep from going over the bars, as his/her legs are naturally in
>> a position to provide the required bracing.

> And on a recumbent with a hinged stem (such as my Bacchetta Giro)
> bracing with the hands is a Bad Idea!
>
> (as I found out on the test ride.....)

I have had to brake very hard when cut off by idiot cagers while
descending fast (70+ kph) on my RANS Rocket with a Flip-It® hinged
handlebar riser, and the bars did not move forward. And I can move the
bars forward and back with one little finger while at rest.

I have had the same experience on several other short-wheelbase
recumbents with hinged risers. Basically, freely hinged handlebars can
NOT restrain the rider from moving forward until they hit their forward
stop, which is farther than the rider can reach while seated. So the
legs and friction between the rider and the seat have to be providing
all the restraining force to keep the rider on the bike while braking.

Zebee Johnstone wrote:
> In alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent on 02 May 2008 01:44:09 GMT
> [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I've seen nay recumbents with a small front wheel and cranks and
>> pedals forward of that wheel. These units will endo easily while the
>> rider remains firmly in the seat. The advantage is that the rider, if
>> a bit agile, will land on his feet running. The bike does not fare as
>> well as it overturns and scraped the road.

> Will they?
>
> I've been hard on the picks (front disk even!) on my Giro 20 going
> downhill. The back (v-brake) skidded, so I let up, I did my damndest not
> to lock the front, and didn't (riding a motorcycle has some advantages)
> but the thing showed no sign of an endo I could feel.

Since this is a Giro 20, it should be noted that the front wheel size is
ISO 406-mm, which is relevant, since the effectiveness of a disc (or
drum) brake increases with decreasing wheel diameter.

> Indeed, trying same when I first got the disks didn't get me anywhere.
> Locking the front is hard to do when you have trained for years not
> to, so maybe I wasn't trying hard enough. Never felt a massive weight
> transfer forward, nothing like pulling a stoppie on a motorcycle (which
> I have done more than once).

See other posts about the rider's legs providing bracing against the
rider moving forward.

> If they will "endo easily" then I must be dreaming...
>
> So I have to ask... have you ridden one? Have you managed to endo it?

The anti-recumbent "experts" don't need no steenkin' test rides!

> If so, how? What did it feel like, when did the weight transfer get so
> over rather than forward (hard transfer on a bent feels qualitatively
> different to hard transfer on an upright to me), and how fast did you have
> to go, and how fast were you going when you managed to get it to go over?

Back in the early days of the 20th Century recumbent revival (e.g.
Hypercycle, the never produced Avatar 1000,) the designers mistakenly
thought that some heel/wheel overlap needed to be avoided. Therefore,
the boom was made very long and the rider was seated almost over the
front wheel. This led to too flexible booms which made climbing and
acceleration poor, poor handling - especially when hitting bumps at
speed , and the bike rotating forward about the front wheel contact
patch under hard braking.

Modern short=wheelbase recumbent sensibly trade off some heel overlap
for proper weight distribution and have none of the above flaws.
However, some of the "experts" tried the earlier designs 25 or 30 years
ago and have closed their minds to later improvements.

Tom Sherman wrote:
> In other breaking news...
> Thread drift is a fact of life on Usenet.

Sometimes more a feature than a problem!
--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:

> TBerk ? wrote:
> > On May 1, 8:31 pm, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
> > wrote:
> >> landotter wrote:

> > <snippage>
> >> Since so many upright riders feel necessary to comment on the alleged
> >> disadvantages of recumbents (often quite rudely in person), it is only
> >> fair to do the same for uprights.

> > But yeah, you guys are thread-jacking though.
> >

> In other breaking news...
>
> Thread drift is a fact of life on Usenet.

Almost all non sequiturs on recumbent bicycles
are introduced by you. You walk, or roll supine,
with `Kick Me' sign and are surprised
that you are sore? Try going a year without
a gratuitous introduction of recumbent bicycles
and see how things work out.

<[email protected]>

--
Michael Press

On May 2, 12:17 am, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
wrote:
> TBerk ? wrote:
> > On May 1, 8:31 pm, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
> > wrote:
> >> landotter wrote:

> > <snippage>
> >> Since so many upright riders feel necessary to comment on the alleged
> >> disadvantages of recumbents (often quite rudely in person), it is only
> >> fair to do the same for uprights.

> >> --
> >> Tom Sherman -

> > But yeah, you guys are thread-jacking though.

> In other breaking news...
>
> Thread drift is a fact of life on Usenet.

Stick this in your humor section!

http://www.coldbacon.com/pics/kliban/bkhumor.gif

;o)

On May 1, 7:49 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> Ben C? wrote:

<snip>

> > Lots of cars didn't used to have servo assistance on the brakes.
> > All the force and work required to brake came from your leg.  And
> > yet you could slow down a tonne of car from 70mph like that.

> Drum brakes used massive self servo action to achieve useful braking.
> Because that effect is highly unpredictable, they had both lock-up and
> fade.  That is why we use disks today.  You may recall that this was
> discussed here at great length.

I don't understand why you consider that action "highly unpredictable"
it's simply speed dependent. Sure they lock up if you stomp on 'em
but so will boosted discs. The fade comes from the inability of the
shoes and drum to shed heat as effectively as discs where all the
parts are out in the open and in some racing applications even have
forced air ducted over them for additional cooling. Old manual drum
brakes are actually quite pleasant to drive on, so long as you're not
racing or driving fast through the mountains. IMHO they have a much
better pedal feel than all but the best new disc brakes; certainly
more direct as there is a direct hydraulic connection between foot and
shoes with only a very few, simple mechanical parts in between.

> > The difficult part is getting rid of all the heat that the brakes
> > are converting the bike's kinetic energy into.

> Apparently the bicycle industry is not addressing that part of the
> problem when the surface area and thermal mass their gossamer rings of
> steel have.  I have asked brake manufacturers why their disks are
> mostly air with a thin pattern of thin steel between.  For cooling is
> the answer.  Maybe they should tell the automotive and railway people
> about their theory.

??? most automotive disc brakes are "vented," that is, the braking
surfaces are separated by a webbing of cast iron intended to have air
pass through. High-performance rotors are also cross-drilled and/or
slotted.

nate

On May 1, 10:17 pm, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
wrote:
> TBerk ? wrote:

<snip>

> > But yeah, you guys are thread-jacking though.

> In other breaking news...
> Thread drift is a fact of life on Usenet.
>
> --
> Tom Sherman

Sorry, forgot to include an emoticon 8])

TBerk
I'm going to be looking into replacement forks with disk brake
capacity. Stay tuned everybody...

Nate Nagel wrote:

>>> Lots of cars didn't used to have servo assistance on the brakes.
>>> All the force and work required to brake came from your leg.  And
>>> yet you could slow down a tonne of car from 70mph like that.

>> Drum brakes used massive self servo action to achieve useful
>> braking. Because that effect is highly unpredictable, they had
>> both lock-up and fade.  That is why we use disks today.  Youmay
>> recall that this was discussed here at great length.

> I don't understand why you consider that action "highly unpredictable"
> it's simply speed dependent. Sure they lock up if you stomp on 'em
> but so will boosted discs. The fade comes from the inability of the
> shoes and drum to shed heat as effectively as discs where all the
> parts are out in the open and in some racing applications even have
> forced air ducted over them for additional cooling.

I think you don't know the history of the drum brake. It's self servo
action is laid out about a specific friction coefficient such that
when it is a bit high, brakes lock up (even after taking the foot off
the pedal) and when it is a bit low from heating, there is essentially
no brake at all, resulting in run-aways on mountain roads.

> Old manual drum brakes are actually quite pleasant to drive on, so
> long as you're not racing or driving fast through the mountains.
> IMHO they have a much better pedal feel than all but the best new
> disc brakes; certainly more direct as there is a direct hydraulic
> connection between foot and shoes with only a very few, simple
> mechanical parts in between.

Oh nostalgia for things that weren't. Read:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_fade#Fade_in_drum_brakes

>>> The difficult part is getting rid of all the heat that the brakes
>>> are converting the bike's kinetic energy into.

That's why heavy trucks still use drum brakes, drums having large
surface to reject heat by forced convection. Highways have long dual
tired skid marks because the response to brake application cannot be
well controlled with drum brakes.

>> Apparently the bicycle industry is not addressing that part of the
>> problem when the surface area and thermal mass their gossamer rings of
>> steel have.  I have asked brake manufacturers why their disks are
>> mostly air with a thin pattern of thin steel between.  For cooling is
>> the answer.  Maybe they should tell the automotive and railway people
>> about their theory.

> ??? most automotive disc brakes are "vented," that is, the braking
> surfaces are separated by a webbing of cast iron intended to have air
> pass through. High-performance rotors are also cross-drilled and/or
> slotted.

I think you'll find that they are not vented but rather solid disks
with no holes. The cross drilling is found only on vehicles tauted to
be high performance while no passenger sedan has cross drilling that
has no technical advantage but is a relic of the days when brake fade
was believed to be caused by out-gassing of brake shoes to generate a
gas bearing. The holes allow that imaginary gas to escape.

I worked in brake design with Girling and ATE in the years when the
auto industry was changing to disks and was amazed at the amount of
myth and lore surrounding brakes.

Jobst Brandt

Nate Nagel wrote:

>>> I don't understand why you consider that action "highly
>>> unpredictable" it's simply speed dependent. Sure they lock up if
>>> you stomp on 'em but so will boosted discs. The fade comes from
>>> the inability of the shoes and drum to shed heat as effectively as
>>> discs where all the parts are out in the open and in some racing
>>> applications even have forced air ducted over them for additional
>>> cooling.

>> I think you don't know the history of the drum brake. It's self
>> servo action is laid out about a specific friction coefficient such
>> that when it is a bit high, brakes lock up (even after taking the
>> foot off the pedal)

> Which is not an issue on any automotive application, as if anything,
> current non-asbestos linings have an even lower coefficient of
> friction than the original linings around which the brake system was
> designed. I have seen some high-performance linings made available
> for various vintage drum brake setups (presumably for vintage
> racing) and have not ever heard of this happening in practice.

>> and when it is a bit low from heating, there is essentially no brake
>> at all, resulting in run-aways on mountain roads.

The servo effect is what makes the drum brake respond poorly and why,
if you read the Wiki article, no RR ever used drum brakes, skidding a
wheel being a major loss.

> That much is true. Of course this can also happen with discs, if you
> abuse them enough, but discs cool down *much* faster than drums given
> that the friction surface is in direct contact with cooling air, the
> discs have a higher surface area to mass ratio, and that the calipers
> and at least portions of the linings are also in closer proximity to
> cooling air than in a drum brake.

It cannot happen with disks. The relation of the friction coefficient
and brake retardation is linear so the 5% change in friction that
formerly cause total brake failure, the disk sees a 5% change. It's
much like boiling engines in cars. That they don't boil today is not
because they have better radiators, but because they have a
non-leaking water pump seal and don't lose coolant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_cooling#Why_automobile_engines_were_air-cooled

>>> Old manual drum brakes are actually quite pleasant to drive on, so
>>> long as you're not racing or driving fast through the mountains.
>>> IMHO they have a much better pedal feel than all but the best new
>>> disc brakes; certainly more direct as there is a direct hydraulic
>>> connection between foot and shoes with only a very few, simple
>>> mechanical parts in between.

>> Oh nostalgia for things that weren't. Read:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_fade#Fade_in_drum_brakes

> Seeing as I actually own and (occasionally) drive a '55 Studebaker
> coupe equipped with the (excellent) factory equipment brakes, with
> the only upgrade being the addition of finned drums from a later
> model car, I can say that they certainly aren't anywhere near the
> death-dealing devices that you seem to be making them out to be.
> The three major shortcomings of drum brakes in general are 1) brakes
> often undersized for the vehicle, exacerbating other problems (not
> an issue on my car, but, say, the 9" front drums on an old Dart are
> an insult to common sense.) 2) Cooling - drum brakes do retain heat
> far more so than do discs, resulting in earlier fading. 3) single
> circuit master cylinders can result in complete brake system failure
> with one single hydraulic failure. Not an issue with the drums
> themselves, but legal until the late 60's and therefore common on
> most vehicles you'll find with four wheel drum brakes.

I take it you are saying that the auto companies of the world are
barking up the wrong tree when they dumped the drum brake. That's a
bit far fetched. Drum brakes are non-linear and unreliable.

http://tinyurl.com/jhiu

>> That's why heavy trucks still use drum brakes, drums having large
>> surface to reject heat by forced convection. Highways have long dual
>> tired skid marks because the response to brake application cannot be
>> well controlled with drum brakes.

> I believe that they still use drums because they're easier to work with
> in an air brake application. They still don't shed heat nearly as well
> as to discs. I suspect many of those skid marks are also the result of
> air system failures, not panic stops gone bad.

You are guessing. Brakes are used for performance and disks large
enough to control a large truck will not fit inside standard truck
wheels. That's why disks are not used there.

>>> ??? most automotive disc brakes are "vented," that is, the braking
>>> surfaces are separated by a webbing of cast iron intended to have
>>> air pass through. High-performance rotors are also cross-drilled
>>> and/or slotted.

>> I think you'll find that they are not vented but rather solid disks
>> with no holes.

> Not true at all.

OK! You keep making these claims and show no reason or reference for
them. Just inspect BMW cars and note that even their large "sport
cars"do not have holes in the disks.

>> The cross drilling is found only on vehicles tauted to be high
>> performance while no passenger sedan has cross drilling that has no
>> technical advantage but is a relic of the days when brake fade was
>> believed to be caused by out-gassing of brake shoes to generate a
>> gas bearing. The holes allow that imaginary gas to escape.

> True, but all but very light and/or inexpensive cars still use
> vented rotors, at least on the front. you are confusing
> cross-drilling and/or slotting with simple venting, which is a
> common feature of nearly all automotive disc brakes. Look at a disc
> edge-on, you will see that it is not solid but is essentially two
> solid braking surfaces connected by a webbing and with lots of air
> space in between. That is what is commonly known as a "vented"
> rotor.

Name a few please.

>> I worked in brake design with Girling and ATE in the years when the
>> auto industry was changing to disks and was amazed at the amount of
>> myth and lore surrounding brakes.

> I don't mean to be insulting, but that surprises me given the
> inaccuracies in your post. Although that would explain your
> unfamiliarity with vented rotors, as AFAIR at least the Studebaker
> applications of the first Girling brakes did in fact use solid rotors.
> I would assume that other applications of those brakes did as well as
> I'm not aware of any significant variations on the caliper design.

You are not trying hard enough to not be insulting. Your unsupported
claims are in themselves insulting in facer of evidence to the
contrary. The subject here was to cross drilling with holed through
the disk faces. RR disks are all internally radially vented in the
disk casting.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/disk

Jobst Brandt

[email protected] wrote:

>>>I think you don't know the history of the drum brake. It's self
>>>servo action is laid out about a specific friction coefficient such
>>>that when it is a bit high, brakes lock up (even after taking the
>>>foot off the pedal)

>>Which is not an issue on any automotive application, as if anything,
>>current non-asbestos linings have an even lower coefficient of
>>friction than the original linings around which the brake system was
>>designed. I have seen some high-performance linings made available
>>for various vintage drum brake setups (presumably for vintage
>>racing) and have not ever heard of this happening in practice.

>>>and when it is a bit low from heating, there is essentially no brake
>>>at all, resulting in run-aways on mountain roads.

> The servo effect is what makes the drum brake respond poorly and why,
> if you read the Wiki article, no RR ever used drum brakes, skidding a
> wheel being a major loss.
>

>>That much is true. Of course this can also happen with discs, if you
>>abuse them enough, but discs cool down *much* faster than drums given
>>that the friction surface is in direct contact with cooling air, the
>>discs have a higher surface area to mass ratio, and that the calipers
>>and at least portions of the linings are also in closer proximity to
>>cooling air than in a drum brake.

> It cannot happen with disks. The relation of the friction coefficient
> and brake retardation is linear so the 5% change in friction that
> formerly cause total brake failure, the disk sees a 5% change. It's
> much like boiling engines in cars. That they don't boil today is not
> because they have better radiators, but because they have a
> non-leaking water pump seal and don't lose coolant.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_cooling#Why_automobile_engines_were_air-cooled

a 5% change in brake friction will not cause a "total brake failure" on
any decent automotive brake system. Now it may cause more than 5% loss
on a servo-action system, but not "total."

>>>Oh nostalgia for things that weren't. Read:

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_fade#Fade_in_drum_brakes
>

>>Seeing as I actually own and (occasionally) drive a '55 Studebaker
>>coupe equipped with the (excellent) factory equipment brakes, with
>>the only upgrade being the addition of finned drums from a later
>>model car, I can say that they certainly aren't anywhere near the
>>death-dealing devices that you seem to be making them out to be.
>>The three major shortcomings of drum brakes in general are 1) brakes
>>often undersized for the vehicle, exacerbating other problems (not
>>an issue on my car, but, say, the 9" front drums on an old Dart are
>>an insult to common sense.) 2) Cooling - drum brakes do retain heat
>>far more so than do discs, resulting in earlier fading. 3) single
>>circuit master cylinders can result in complete brake system failure
>>with one single hydraulic failure. Not an issue with the drums
>>themselves, but legal until the late 60's and therefore common on
>>most vehicles you'll find with four wheel drum brakes.

> I take it you are saying that the auto companies of the world are
> barking up the wrong tree when they dumped the drum brake. That's a
> bit far fetched. Drum brakes are non-linear and unreliable.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/jhiu

No, I'm saying that while discs are definitely an improvement, drums are
not nearly as dangerous and unacceptable, at least in the better
automotive implementations, as you make them out to be.

How do you explain, if the servo-action is responsible for the effects
that you claim, that some automotive drums did *not* use servo-action
brakes and still exhibited similar fade? It's the heat, plain and
simple. That was the biggest downfall of drums, and it's the biggest
advantage of discs. To a lesser extent the increased linearity of brake
torque vs. line pressure that you did mention. That is not to say that
there aren't downsides - the biggest *disadvantage* of discs is the
necessity to install a power booster on all but the lightest cars, as
you need significantly more line pressure to develop the same brake
torque as the same size drum brake. This is what I was alluding to when
I mentioned the improved pedal feel of drums - the vacuum booster
commonly used does make for a far less direct feel on the brake pedal.

>>>That's why heavy trucks still use drum brakes, drums having large
>>>surface to reject heat by forced convection. Highways have long dual
>>> tired skid marks because the response to brake application cannot be
>>> well controlled with drum brakes.

>>I believe that they still use drums because they're easier to work with
>>in an air brake application. They still don't shed heat nearly as well
>>as to discs. I suspect many of those skid marks are also the result of
>>air system failures, not panic stops gone bad.

> You are guessing. Brakes are used for performance and disks large
> enough to control a large truck will not fit inside standard truck
> wheels. That's why disks are not used there.

I actually *have* seen discs on heavy trucks... not nearly as many as
drums, but they are out there.

>>>I think you'll find that they are not vented but rather solid disks
>>>with no holes.

>>Not true at all.

> OK! You keep making these claims and show no reason or reference for
> them. Just inspect BMW cars and note that even their large "sport
> cars"do not have holes in the disks.

But they are still vented.

>>>The cross drilling is found only on vehicles tauted to be high
>>>performance while no passenger sedan has cross drilling that has no
>>>technical advantage but is a relic of the days when brake fade was
>>>believed to be caused by out-gassing of brake shoes to generate a
>>>gas bearing. The holes allow that imaginary gas to escape.

>>True, but all but very light and/or inexpensive cars still use
>>vented rotors, at least on the front. you are confusing
>>cross-drilling and/or slotting with simple venting, which is a
>>common feature of nearly all automotive disc brakes. Look at a disc
>>edge-on, you will see that it is not solid but is essentially two
>>solid braking surfaces connected by a webbing and with lots of air
>>space in between. That is what is commonly known as a "vented"
>>rotor.

> Name a few please.

Any modern car equipped with disc brakes. In my driveway, a Chevy
Impala (icky company car) a Porsche 944 and a Ford F-150. All have
vented discs, at least on the front.

The last car I saw *without* vented front discs was my mom's '86 VW
Golf. It did have solid front discs.

>>>I worked in brake design with Girling and ATE in the years when the
>>>auto industry was changing to disks and was amazed at the amount of
>>>myth and lore surrounding brakes.

>>I don't mean to be insulting, but that surprises me given the
>>inaccuracies in your post. Although that would explain your
>>unfamiliarity with vented rotors, as AFAIR at least the Studebaker
>>applications of the first Girling brakes did in fact use solid rotors.
>>I would assume that other applications of those brakes did as well as
>>I'm not aware of any significant variations on the caliper design.

> You are not trying hard enough to not be insulting. Your unsupported
> claims are in themselves insulting in facer of evidence to the
> contrary. The subject here was to cross drilling with holed through
> the disk faces. RR disks are all internally radially vented in the
> disk casting.
>
> http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/disk
>
> Jobst Brandt

At this point, I can't even determine if you understand the difference
between venting and drilling. If you can't keep your terminology
straight there's no point in continuing this discussion.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

On May 2, 2:50 pm, N8N <[email protected]> wrote:
> On May 1, 7:49 pm, [email protected] wrote:
>
> > Drum brakes used massive self servo action to achieve useful braking.
> > Because that effect is highly unpredictable, they had both lock-up and
> > fade. That is why we use disks today. You may recall that this was
> > discussed here at great length.

> I don't understand why you consider that action "highly unpredictable"
> it's simply speed dependent. Sure they lock up if you stomp on 'em
> but so will boosted discs. The fade comes from the inability of the
> shoes and drum to shed heat as effectively as discs where all the
> parts are out in the open and in some racing applications even have
> forced air ducted over them for additional cooling. Old manual drum
> brakes are actually quite pleasant to drive on, so long as you're not
> racing or driving fast through the mountains. IMHO they have a much
> better pedal feel than all but the best new disc brakes; certainly
> more direct as there is a direct hydraulic connection between foot and
> shoes with only a very few, simple mechanical parts in between.

Nate, it sounds to me that your evaluation of "feel" is influenced
unduly by your examination of parts diagrams. You see what you think
is a "more direct connection," therefore you think drum brakes feel
better.

Drum brakes are inherently less predictable. Two personal examples:

First, I as a teenager in the '60s, I drove an old Fiat sedan. It had
drum brakes that appeared oversized for its weight. I decided to test
them to see if they would fade, by accelerating to about 60 mph and
stopping hard, repeatedly.

They did fade - but not as I imagined, by simply requiring more pedal
pressure. On about the third stop, the car suddenly swerved violently
side to side. It was barely controllable, and extremely scary.

Second, I still occasionally ride a 1972 BMW motorcycle, with double
leading shoe front drum brake. "Double leading shoe" means the built-
in servo effect works for me only in the forward direction. On a
certain steep hill with a traffic light, the front brak is barely able
to keep the bike from rolling backwards, because friction at the
braking surface acts to remove braking force.

The latter isn't particularly important, I suppose, but it does
indicate how dependent this system is on the friction coefficient.
The former indicates the same, but in a much more dangerous manner. I
assume one front brake faded before the other - that is, generated
less friction; but the sudden loss of servo effect was violent and
unpredictable. It was much different than merely "speed dependent,"
as you claim.

Drum brakes are gone from cars (at least, in front) for very good
reasons.

- Frank Krygowski

"Nate Nagel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

>>> ??? most automotive disc brakes are "vented," that is, the braking
>>> surfaces are separated by a webbing of cast iron intended to have
>>> air pass through. High-performance rotors are also cross-drilled
>>> and/or slotted.

>> I think you'll find that they are not vented but rather solid disks with
>> no holes.

> Not true at all.

I reckon he's probably right - vented disks aren't the norm here. Faster and
bigger stuff has them, but plain old solid rotors rule for normal cars.

cheers,
clive

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> You are guessing. Brakes are used for performance and disks large
> enough to control a large truck will not fit inside standard truck
> wheels. That's why disks are not used there.

I believe trucks are moving to disks over here. Dunno if they're inboard or
not, but it's happening. Of course the USian truck industry is very
technologically conservative, so I'd not be surprised if they were a long
way behing.

cheers,
clive

"Nate Nagel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> This is what I was alluding to when I mentioned the improved pedal feel of
> drums - the vacuum booster commonly used does make for a far less direct
> feel on the brake pedal.

You might find driving a power-braked car amusing - on a proper citroen, the
pedal doesn't move (noticably), but the braking is still proportional to how
hard you press. Coming from an over-assisted conventional car was an
interesting reminder of the difference.

> Any modern car equipped with disc brakes. In my driveway, a Chevy Impala
> (icky company car) a Porsche 944 and a Ford F-150. All have vented discs,
> at least on the front.

Many over here don't have vented. My CX had them (all round :) ), but
nothing else I've owned. The stuff you've just mentioned comes under "bigger
or faster than normal". Of course with the weight inflation of cars, they're
getting rather more common...

cheers,
clive

Nate Nagel wrote:

> [...]

> How do you explain, if the servo-action is responsible for the
> effects that you claim, that some automotive drums did *not* use
> servo-action brakes and still exhibited similar fade? It's the
> heat, plain and simple. That was the biggest downfall of drums, and
> it's the biggest advantage of discs. To a lesser extent the
> increased linearity of brake torque vs. line pressure that you did
> mention. That is not to say that there aren't downsides - the
> biggest *disadvantage* of discs is the necessity to install a power
> booster on all but the lightest cars, as you need significantly more
> line pressure to develop the same brake torque as the same size drum
> brake. This is what I was alluding to when I mentioned the improved
> pedal feel of drums - the vacuum booster commonly used does make for
> a far less direct feel on the brake pedal.

When the brake application force is in the direction of drum rotation,
as it must be with drum brakes, then there is a self energising
effect. Proof of that is the rum brakes lock up at times when the
friction coefficient is slightly higher than the design level. All
deum brakes have servo effect. If you have worked on drum brakes you
should have noticed that they are designated leading shoe brakes, that
is that the activating hydraulic piston is pushing in the direction of
drum rotation.

>>> I believe that they still use drums because they're easier to work
>>> with in an air brake application. They still don't shed heat
>>> nearly as well as to discs. I suspect many of those skid marks
>>> are also the result of air system failures, not panic stops gone
>>> bad.

>> You are guessing. Brakes are used for performance and disks large
>> enough to control a large truck will not fit inside standard truck
>> wheels. That's why disks are not used there.

> I actually *have* seen discs on heavy trucks... not nearly as many
> as drums, but they are out there.

You may have seen them on tractors of semi trailer rigs, but not on
the tandem dual dive axles or the semitrailer where heavy braking
occurs.

>>> Not true at all.

>> OK! You keep making these claims and show no reason or reference
>> for them. Just inspect BMW cars and note that even their large
>> "sport cars"do not have holes in the disks.

> But they are still vented.

Look at all the high performance (BMW, Mercedes, Caddillac, Chrysler,
Cheverolet, Buick,...) cars and you will see they have no holes. You
must be assuming car companies are taking safety lightly if they sell
the largest part of their cars with, as you claim, inferior disks that
have no holes.

>>> True, but all but very light and/or inexpensive cars still use
>>> vented rotors, at least on the front. you are confusing
>>> cross-drilling and/or slotting with simple venting, which is a
>>> common feature of nearly all automotive disc brakes. Look at a
>>> disc edge-on, you will see that it is not solid but is essentially
>>> two solid braking surfaces connected by a webbing and with lots of
>>> air space in between. That is what is commonly known as a
>>> "vented" rotor.

>> Name a few please.

> Any modern car equipped with disc brakes. In my driveway, a Chevy
> Impala (icky company car) a Porsche 944 and a Ford F-150. All have
> vented discs, at least on the front.

Not the new ones aold today. Exactly these are proof that there is no
benefit to the cross drillings in the disks of "sports cars".

> The last car I saw *without* vented front discs was my mom's '86 VW
> Golf. It did have solid front discs.

You use the term "vemnted" without definition. What do you mean?

>>> I don't mean to be insulting, but that surprises me given the
>>> inaccuracies in your post. Although that would explain your
>>> unfamiliarity with vented rotors, as AFAIR at least the Studebaker
>>> applications of the first Girling brakes did in fact use solid
>>> rotors. I would assume that other applications of those brakes
>>> did as well as I'm not aware of any significant variations on the
>>> caliper design.

>> You are not trying hard enough to not be insulting. Your
>> unsupported claims are in themselves insulting in facer of evidence
>> to the contrary. The subject here was to cross drilling with holed
>> through the disk faces. RR disks are all internally radially
>> vented in the disk casting.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/disk

> At this point, I can't even determine if you understand the
> difference between venting and drilling. If you can't keep your
> terminology straight there's no point in continuing this discussion.

At this point I suggest you heed your request for definition of disk
form. I detect you are trying to make a technical educational course
about disk brake, not understanding the basic difference between disks
and drums. I am not ready to outline a course on disk brakes here.

Jobst Brandt

Clive George wrote:
> "Nate Nagel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>> This is what I was alluding to when I mentioned the improved pedal
>> feel of drums - the vacuum booster commonly used does make for a far
>> less direct feel on the brake pedal.

> You might find driving a power-braked car amusing - on a proper citroen,
> the pedal doesn't move (noticably), but the braking is still
> proportional to how hard you press. Coming from an over-assisted
> conventional car was an interesting reminder of the difference.
>
>> Any modern car equipped with disc brakes. In my driveway, a Chevy
>> Impala (icky company car) a Porsche 944 and a Ford F-150. All have
>> vented discs, at least on the front.

> Many over here don't have vented. My CX had them (all round :) ), but
> nothing else I've owned. The stuff you've just mentioned comes under
> "bigger or faster than normal". Of course with the weight inflation of
> cars, they're getting rather more common...
>
> cheers,
> clive

If you'd consider any of those cars "faster than normal" I have the
greatest sympathy for you. Of course Vlad the Impala and the pickup
truck are also quite large, and only one of those two has a good reason
for being so. A 944 has many redeeming qualities, but sparkling
acceleration isn't one of them.

Oddly enough, likely the fastest car I own (I don't know for sure, I
haven't fully tested its capabilities) is also the one with four wheel
drum brakes.

nate

--
> [...]

> You use the term "vemnted" without definition. What do you mean?

>>> You are not trying hard enough to not be insulting. Your
>>> unsupported claims are in themselves insulting in facer of evidence
>>> to the contrary. The subject here was to cross drilling with holed
>>> through the disk faces. RR disks are all internally radially
>>> vented in the disk casting.

> http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/disk
>
>> At this point, I can't even determine if you understand the
>> difference between venting and drilling. If you can't keep your
>> terminology straight there's no point in continuing this discussion.

> At this point I suggest you heed your request for definition of disk
> form. I detect you are trying to make a technical educational course
> about disk brake, not understanding the basic difference between disks
> and drums. I am not ready to outline a course on disk brakes here.

Jobst and Nate,
Just to set some common ground - here is what I think a vented disk brake
rotor looks like:
http://images.outdoorinteractive.net/mgen/530211_oi.jpg
And here is what I think a cross-drilled disk brake rotor looks like:
http://www.camarotech.com/images/BrakeRotor_CrossDrilled.jpg
Kerry