Can Dodger lead T-Mobile?

Rolfrae said:
And Virenque was such a fantastic climber...no wait, I meant druggie.
Probably true, but doesn't that just make the performance of Rogers even better... assuming he was riding clean.....

I don't think Dodger has much chance of a podium place in TdF, but fifth or sixth or thereabouts is realistic.

Walrus said:
Michael Rogers stated when he joined T-Mobile that he wanted to be the last man riding at Ullrich's side in the key mountain stages of the Tour. He started to focus on his climbing, and we know he's an accomplished time trialist.

Presuming T-Mobile remaing "captainless", can Michael Rogers be successful in leading the team in a Grand Tour?

- He's 27,
- Has 3 World TT titles,
- Came 10th overall at last year's tour while supporting Kloden and Gonchar,
- 2nd overall at 2005 Tour de Suisse, losing on the final stage to Aitor Gonzalez (that year had crazy climbs and a strong field)
- Won the Deutschland Tour in 2003 against a strong field

I think Roger's is the strongest GC T-Mobile rider on the roster.

Thoughts?

I don't think a podium placing for MR is unachievable : he has improved steadily year on year and his performance at last years TDF was very good.
His TT'ing ability was his main strength - but second in the TdS, and a top 10 in the TDF, last year, shows that the man can climb.

I reckon though that he will need unconditional support from the TM TDF team to get to podium.

limerickman said:
I reckon though that he will need unconditional support from the TM TDF team to get to podium.
T-Mobile might "do a Davitamon" and support a sprinter and a GC rider (in Davitamon's case, McEwen and Cadel). Without a "champion" GC rider...it might make more sense.

Possible team:
Rogers
Sinkewitz
Gonchar
Merckx
Eisel
Gerdemann
Piil
? - Hammond, Bernucci, Ciolek, Korff, ?

Who else are they going to

Walrus said:
T-Mobile might "do a Davitamon" and support a sprinter and a GC rider (in Davitamon's case, McEwen and Cadel). Without a "champion" GC rider...it might make more sense.

Possible team:
Rogers
Sinkewitz
Gonchar
Merckx
Eisel
Gerdemann
Piil

I think that Michael Barry has been promised a TdF spot (assuming he's healthy) and that was a motivation in his move from DC.

I'd chuck Adam Hansen in there. Twice winner of the crocodile trophy:eek: That takes balls!

Jono L said:
I'd chuck Adam Hansen in there. Twice winner of the crocodile trophy:eek: That takes balls!
Yeah, he'll be one to watch...but if we see him at all in a GT, it'll be the Vuelta or maybe the Giro. He'll need some time to adjust to the pro peloton....but I guess it happened to Will Walker last year!

Walrus said:
Yeah, he'll be one to watch...but if we see him at all in a GT, it'll be the Vuelta or maybe the Giro. He'll need some time to adjust to the pro peloton....but I guess it happened to Will Walker last year!
And perhaps Darren Lapthorne should get a late call up to a ProTour team too... I used to watch him race past (from the grade below). Yes he was a lot faster than me.

Serafino said:
I think that Michael Barry has been promised a TdF spot (assuming he's healthy) and that was a motivation in his move from DC.
Yeah, Barry is another one who has plenty of experience. I seem to recall Danielson saying the Barry was his main man in the mountains (I might be wrong there).

I hope they give Gerdemann a ride? CSC put him in the 2005 Vuelta where he had a go in stage 19 and was top 20 in the final ITT. In 2006, he rode the smaller stage races like Suisse and Deutschland...he did well in both.

Walrus said:
Yeah, Barry is another one who has plenty of experience. I seem to recall Danielson saying the Barry was his main man in the mountains (I might be wrong there).

I hope they give Gerdemann a ride? CSC put him in the 2005 Vuelta where he had a go in stage 19 and was top 20 in the final ITT. In 2006, he rode the smaller stage races like Suisse and Deutschland...he did well in both.
I hope Hammond gets his first Tour start, would garner great publicity here in Britain, another Brit starting the Tour in London. Guess it might depend on how his Spring goes. Hope he'll do better out of the shadow of big dumb Dode Hincapie.

Rolfrae said:
I hope Hammond gets his first Tour start, would garner great publicity here in Britain, another Brit starting the Tour in London. Guess it might depend on how his Spring goes. Hope he'll do better out of the shadow of big dumb Dode Hincapie.
Ahh Hammond. I hope he has some more luck this year with T-Mob. As soon as he hit the bigtime in 2005 his career went sideways. Sickness, crashes, more crashes...he deserves some good fortune.

Walrus said:

Possible team:
Rogers
Sinkewitz
Gonchar
Merckx
Eisel
Gerdemann
Piil

I think Cadel could podium if he had full team support

Walrus said:

Possible team:
Rogers
Sinkewitz
Gonchar
Merckx
Eisel
Gerdemann
Piil

beppe turbo kirchen ?

Scotttri said:
I think Cadel could podium if he had full team support
I'd like to see that happen as well. It's not as if Robbie needs a leadout train. He just uses everyone else's! He only needs 1 or 2 guys to drop him off at the 200m mark.

If McEwen had 2 leadout men, then why can't Cadel have 5 support riders for the mountains?

Cadel Evans could probably go top 5, but i doubt podium, depending on who's at the start line.

Walrus said:

Possible team:
Rogers
Sinkewitz
Gonchar
Merckx
Eisel
Gerdemann
Piil

I believe Hammond and Michael Barry have the tour on their program. It helps Bob Stapleton is American and he will put an international slant on the team.

I think it will be something like this

Rogers (GC)
Sink (GC, lieutenant for mtns)
Merckx (freeman/opportunist, mtn domestique)
Gerdemann (freeman/opportunist, mtn domestique)

Piil (flats)
Barry (flats)
Hammond (flats)

Eisel (flats leader )

one leadout man, depending on form, and in order of favourite Greipel, Klier, Korff, Henderson.

I don't think Guerini nor Gonchar get a ride. They represent the old brigade, who did things the old way.

Hammond is a good sprinter so he can easily substitute for leadouts, with Piil. Piil and Barry are as strong as Mathi Kessler on the climbs, so they can be used up before Sink, Gerdemann and Merckx. That should be enough help for Rogers considering that he will never have a yellow to defend.

Gerdemann is targeting the white jersey. He should be decent help on the cols. Guerini was little use this year. Gonchar was doing something he wont get away with this year.

Are you kidding? If rogers won't win, they might as well bring gonchar so t-mobile gets some recognition when he tears it up in time trials. Or do you think that was a fluke? I sure don't

Vino said:
Are you kidding? If rogers won't win, they might as well bring gonchar so t-mobile gets some recognition when he tears it up in time trials. Or do you think that was a fluke? I sure don't

not kidding.

Gonchar will be more closely watched, He wont get the opportunity to win a tt.

Note my rationale: he is part of the old brigade. They did not want to resign him. That is evidence enough. They must have done so out of obligation for this years results.

Having "gone" Honcahr, Sinkewitz and Rogers were working with Ferrari, so they are no better.

thunder said:
Gonchar will be more closely watched, He wont get the opportunity to win a tt.
Don't think that really works. When a TT comes along its the fastest man wins. All the good TTists go as hard as possible because they want a stage win, all the GC people go as fast as possible to get time on their opponents. You don't really 'get lucky' in a time trial. Hence why it is called the race of truth.

I reckon they will take Honchar along. He can win TT's and he'll also represent good pulling power on the flats.

Eldrack said:
Don't think that really works. When a TT comes along its the fastest man wins. All the good TTists go as hard as possible because they want a stage win, all the GC people go as fast as possible to get time on their opponents. You don't really 'get lucky' in a time trial. Hence why it is called the race of truth.

I reckon they will take Honchar along. He can win TT's and he'll also represent good pulling power on the flats.

wrong context.

watched: no doping ;)