Can Donating Blood be Healthy?

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by ceniza, Nov 13, 2003.

  1. ceniza

    ceniza Guest

    I heard once it was actually good for a middle aged man to
    donate blood. Could this be true?

    If so, what is the logic behind it?

    Tags:

  2. Bill

    Bill Guest

    "ceniza" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I heard once it was actually good for a middle aged man to
    > donate blood. Could this be true?
    >
    > If so, what is the logic behind it?

    I think the logic is that iron is bad and donating blood reduces the amount of
    iron in your body. As to whether this is correct or not, I don't know. I think
    they do recommend that men not take vitamins with iron.

    Bill

  3. Mxsmanic

    Mxsmanic Guest

    ceniza writes:

    > I heard once it was actually good for a middle aged man to
    > donate blood. Could this be true?

    About as true as cigarettes aiding the digestion, I suspect.

    > If so, what is the logic behind it?

    The only cases in which I've heard of bloodletting of any sort being
    healthy are in those of iron overload. Since the blood contains lots
    and lots of iron, removing some of it considerably reduces the total
    iron load in the body. For people who have disorders that cause them to
    accumulate iron in their bodies, this is one simple way of removing
    iron.

    I'm not aware of any reason why men should not take vitamins with iron.
    However, their need for iron is less than that of women, because they do
    not lose iron in menstrual blood each month. Women lose a little bit of
    iron with each menstrual cycle (for the same reason that bloodletting
    lowers the total body iron).

    Note that iron is toxic when there is too much of it in the body (for
    those reading this thread who don't understand why anyone would want to
    get rid of it).

  4. Too much iron can cause problems. A news article years ago claimed
    donaters had fewer heart attacks, but it was rebutted.

  5. ceniza wrote:

    > I heard once it was actually good for a middle aged man to
    > donate blood. Could this be true?
    >
    > If so, what is the logic behind it?

    It is a good deed. Men usually have more iron than they need and some
    will have more iron than is healthy.

    Humbly,

    Andrew

    --