Can Flight Deck and HAC 4 co-exist?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by J & D Klau, Feb 7, 2003.

  1. J & D Klau

    J & D Klau Guest

    I am currently running a Flight Deck cyclocomputer and recently acquired a HAC4. I would like to run
    both, as there are certain features on the Flight Deck (most notably, it tells me what cog I'm in) I
    want, as well as the heart rate, grade, altimeter features of HAC4.

    So, if I install the transmitter for the HAC4 on the fork, near the pickup for the Flight Deck, will
    they interfere with each other? And this may display my complete ineptitude, but can they both run
    off the same magnet...can I put two on the wheel?

    Thanks for any advice, I'd really like to run both, if possible. BTW, HAC4 is wireless, if that
    makes any difference.

    TIA,

    --
    -Jennifer reply to: jen at klau dot com

    Tags:

  2. I have a Cateye Wireless + Polar S720i HRM running off the same magnet on one bike and a FlightDeck
    + Polar S720i HRM running off separate magnets on my other bike. No problems whatsoever. If I
    remember right the reason I used separate magnets on the one bike was that the FlightDeck didn't
    seem to pick up a signal from the Polar magnet. Maybe they have reversed polarities.

    --
    Replace the dots to reply

    Perre

    "J & D Klau" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am currently running a Flight Deck cyclocomputer and recently acquired a HAC4. I would like to
    > run both, as there are certain features on the Flight Deck (most notably, it tells me what cog I'm
    > in) I want, as well as the heart rate, grade, altimeter features of HAC4.
    >
    > So, if I install the transmitter for the HAC4 on the fork, near the pickup for the Flight Deck,
    > will they interfere with each other? And this may display my complete ineptitude, but can they
    > both run off the same magnet...can I put two on the wheel?
    >
    > Thanks for any advice, I'd really like to run both, if possible. BTW, HAC4 is wireless, if that
    > makes any difference.
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > --
    > -Jennifer reply to: jen at klau dot com

  3. Nick Payne

    Nick Payne Guest

    If all you want the flight deck for is the gear indication, why not just get one of the inline gear
    indicators that Shimano used to provide with Dura-Ace STI. I have the inline indicator on one bike
    and flight deck on another, and the orange inline indicator is easier and quicker to read than the
    flight deck readout. Plus if I'm riding in the dark with a headlight on the handlebars, I can still
    see the inline indicator in the light spill from the headlight, whereas I can't read a thing off the
    flight deck.

    Nick

    "J & D Klau" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am currently running a Flight Deck cyclocomputer and recently acquired a HAC4. I would like to
    > run both, as there are certain features on the Flight Deck (most notably, it tells me what cog I'm
    > in) I want, as well as the heart rate, grade, altimeter features of HAC4.
    >
    > So, if I install the transmitter for the HAC4 on the fork, near the pickup for the Flight Deck,
    > will they interfere with each other? And this may display my complete ineptitude, but can they
    > both run off the same magnet...can I put two on the wheel?

  4. From what you say, it seems like your FlightDeck has a wired pickup. In that case, I do not believe
    you will have any problem.

    In theory, you can use the same magnet for both (a magnet is a magnet), but the FlightDeck pickup
    is so bulky I am not sure you would be able to mount the HAC-4 transmitter in the right place to
    share a magnet.

    If you need two magnets, consider putting one pickup each side of the wheel, and make really sure
    that the magnets are at sufficiently different distances from the hub that they cannot affect the
    wrong pickup. You'll probably want to put them roughly opposite each other to balance the wheel.

    I would really like to know if the Shimano wireless transmitter will drive a HAC-4 correctly (or if
    the HAC-4 transmitter can drive Shimano, I'm easy).

  5. "Nick Payne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > If all you want the flight deck for is the gear indication, why not just
    get
    > one of the inline gear indicators that Shimano used to provide with
    Dura-Ace
    > STI. I have the inline indicator on one bike and flight deck on another,
    and
    > the orange inline indicator is easier and quicker to read than the flight deck readout. Plus if
    > I'm riding in the dark with a headlight on the handlebars, I can still see the inline indicator in
    > the light spill from
    the
    > headlight, whereas I can't read a thing off the flight deck.
    >
    > Nick

    There is one reason that I like to have both my Flight Deck and the Polar HRM. The reason is that
    the Polar display is somewhat delayed and doesn't really give realtime readouts. I have both speed
    and cadence readings in it though because I wan't them in the graph that I download to my PC after
    the ride. HR, speed, cadence and altitude gives me a really nice feedback. If I only could afford
    Power also ;)

    The Flight Deck is what I look at when riding, apart from the HR of course. Besides I really like
    the virtual cadence given in the Flight Deck. If I'm coasting downhill I will get a cadence reading.
    If it says 150 I'll keep on coasting, at least if I don't have any higher gears. If it goes down
    under 100 I might start pedaling again knowing that will be the cadence I have to pedal at and then
    some to make it worthwhile.

    --
    Replace the dots to reply

    Perre

  6. somebody-<< I am currently running a Flight Deck cyclocomputer and recently acquired a HAC4. I would
    like to run both,

    But where are ya gonna put yer GPS???

  7. "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > somebody-<< I am currently running a Flight Deck cyclocomputer and
    recently
    > acquired a HAC4. I would like to run both,
    >
    > But where are ya gonna put yer GPS???

    Doesn't Shimano integrate that in the Flight Deck yet?

    --
    Replace the dots to reply

    Perre