Can I add canti mounts to Mondonico road frame?

Alan

Guest
I've been doing cyclocross on an older steel Mondonico road frame. Mud clearance is poor due to
placment of rear brake caliper. Is it possible to braze on canti mounts? Thanks Alan

Alan wrote:
> I've been doing cyclocross on an older steel Mondonico road frame. Mud clearance is poor due to
> placment of rear brake caliper. Is it possible to braze on canti mounts?

Yep. I've done this from time to time. See: http://sheldonbrown.com/cantilever-fixture.html

I'd advise brazing them on the rear only, maybe buy a hybrid/cross fork for the front. Brazing stuff
to your front fork is scary unless you're very good at brazing. Also, such a fork will have much
better clearance, and the longer blades will improve the frame geometry for this application
(slacker angles, higher BB.)

Sheldon "Road To Cross" Brown +------------------------------------------------+
| Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever. | -- Napoleon Bonaparte |
+------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone

One word of caution here, road frames often have smaller diameter and thinner seat stays than cross
frames. This results in less stiffness and strength in the seat stays; not good since cantilever
brakes will make the stays bow outward during brake application. You might want to contact Torelli
first so see what they have to say about the change over.

Ed

In article <[email protected]>, Ed Ness wrote:

> One word of caution here, road frames often have smaller diameter and thinner seat stays than
> cross frames. This results in less stiffness and strength in the seat stays; not good since
> cantilever brakes will make the stays bow outward during brake application. You might want to
> contact Torelli first so see what they have to say about the change over.

Chances are the frame has a bridge in place for mounting caliper brakes. This will prevent the
problem you describe unless you have some monstrous hydralic brake in mind...

--

-John ([email protected])