Can I be fit with high blood pressure?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Russell, Jan 26, 2003.

  1. Russell

    Russell Guest

    I was gobsmacked today when I tried out a collegues digital blood pressure monitor. Mine was 151/74
    at 61bpm! We tried again a couple of minutes later and it was 139/81 which is only just below the
    threshold for 'hypertension'. Now I'm suprised becuase I thought I was pretty fit. I race & ride at
    least 100 miles a week & go running giving me around 7 - 12 hours exercise a week. Being veggie I
    eat very little fat and in no way can I be classed overweight. We tried another collegue who is also
    pretty fit (I go running with him) and his was 118/70something.

    My resting heart rate is 45 which I believe is excellent, so what can this BP mean?

    cheers Russell

    Tags:

  2. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Russell <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I was gobsmacked today when I tried out a collegues digital blood pressure monitor. Mine was
    > 151/74 at 61bpm! We tried again a couple of minutes
    later
    > and it was 139/81 which is only just below the threshold for
    'hypertension'.
    > Now I'm suprised becuase I thought I was pretty fit. > My resting heart rate is 45 which I believe
    > is excellent, so what can this BP mean?
    >
    > cheers Russell

    You can certainly be fit with high blood pressure, even with medication mines higher than yours. But
    being fit doesn't equate with being healthy; go see your GP. (The medication I take doesn't affect
    the cycling so don't let this put you off). Mike

  3. Russell

    Russell Guest

    Russell <[email protected]rock.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I was gobsmacked today when I tried out a collegues digital blood pressure monitor. Mine was
    > 151/74 at 61bpm! We tried again a couple of minutes
    later
    > and it was 139/81 which is only just below the threshold for
    'hypertension'.
    > Now I'm suprised becuase I thought I was pretty fit. I race & ride at
    least
    > 100 miles a week & go running giving me around 7 - 12 hours exercise a week. Being veggie I eat
    > very little fat and in no way can I be classed overweight. We tried another collegue who is also
    > pretty fit (I go
    running
    > with him) and his was 118/70something.
    >
    > My resting heart rate is 45 which I believe is excellent, so what can this BP mean?
    >
    > cheers Russell

    I contacted our Occupational Health Dept at work today and saw a very nice nurse. She measured my
    with a stethoscope?? and pressure gauge, twice. The readings were 130/60 then 120/60 which she said
    was excellent. I had just eaten a big lunch yesterday - infact I was eating all day! So maybe that
    accounts for the high reading. Anyway thanks for all the useful advice - oh and I'm 41 by the way.

    Russell