Can i burn a piece of Tres Leches Cake of 3000 calories with 2 hrs of cycling a day?

worldgod

Dec 20, 2003
Can i burn a piece of Tres Leches Cake of 3000 calories with 2 hrs of cycling a day?

Hello all: Today i had a big piece of Tres Leches Cake (Three Milk Cake) of about 3000 calories and I would like to know if i could burn it off starting today and this week by walking 60 minutes a day and riding my staitonary-bicycle for 60 minutes a day (total: 2 hours of aerobic exercising).

I am glad that christmas is over, because there is too much fattening food in christmas

Here is what a Tres Leches Cake made with condensed milk, evaporated milk and regular milk looks like:

Tres-Leches.jpg

worldgod said:

Hello all: Today i had a big piece of Tres Leches Cake (Three Milk Cake) of about 3000 calories and I would like to know if i could burn it off starting today and this week by walking 60 minutes a day and riding my staitonary-bicycle for 60 minutes a day (total: 2 hours of aerobic exercising).

I am glad that christmas is over, because there is too much fattening food in christmas

Here is what a Tres Leches Cake made with condensed milk, evaporated milk and regular milk looks like:

Tres-Leches.jpg

In a word - No!

A good rule of thumb is that you CAN burn between 400-500 calories per hour if you are really pushing yourself. The problem with this formula is that that IF you could maintain that rate for 4 or 5 hours your body would be screaming for replenishment. People have a tendency to over replenish and the net result is a minimal calorie loss.

QikSmurf said:
In a word - No!

A good rule of thumb is that you CAN burn between 400-500 calories per hour if you are really pushing yourself. The problem with this formula is that that IF you could maintain that rate for 4 or 5 hours your body would be screaming for replenishment. People have a tendency to over replenish and the net result is a minimal calorie loss.
Also, within a matter of hours your body has done SOMETHING with those 3000 calories. It will have burned some, maybe replenished glycogen with some, probably stored some as fat. It won't be long before you're not burning off that cake, but working on the stored energy it left behind.
3000 calories is a huge amount to ingest at once- most adult males should only take in around 2000 calories per DAY to maintain a healthy weight.

Also, within a matter of hours your body has done SOMETHING with those 3000 calories. It will have burned some, maybe replenished glycogen with some, probably stored some as fat. It won't be long before you're not burning off that cake, but working on the stored energy it left behind.
True, your body takes the macromolecules of fat, carbohydrates, and protein, and puts them to use immediately - be it for quick energy, repair of tissues, or stored energy (fat or glycogen). That 3000 calories was probably metabolised by the time you woke up the next day - a lot of it hanging around in adipose (fat) cells, and a good portion of it in your bloodstream (triacylglycerols/triglycerides). This is the main problem, really - fat can be burned, but elevated triglycerides open up a whole other can of worms. Keep them down or you put yourself a higher risk of developing heart disease.

3000 calories is a huge amount to ingest at once- most adult males should only take in around 2000 calories per DAY to maintain a healthy weight.
True, but remember that the 2000 Kcal per day is an estimate for a low activity level, and basic metabolic maintenence. Most college students, for example, are well above this number (by 300-800 Kcal) simply due to a more active lifestyle. An athlete may be well above the 4000 Kcal mark, especially if they are trying to add muscle, or involved in high-energy endurance sports such as cycling.

One of the best tools for watching your calorie intake is to simply record all of the foods you eat over 1 week, weigh yourself at the end of the week, then repeat this over the next week, and weight yourself again. Note if you increase or decrease your weight in accordance with your diet. I was shocked to find out that I was consuming over 5000 calories per day when training, and 3,000 - 3,500 when in the off-season. I've got a pretty fast metabolism, granted, but had no idea that I was eating that much - I always thought I was well within the 2000 Kcal/day range. Oops? :eek:

Also, don't panic about one huge caloric intake like that. If you keep up 2 hrs of aerobic activity per day (which is quite a bit actually), in combination with a slight reduction in dietary intake, you'll "burn off" that cake no problem. Aim for a calorie deficit of about 500 Kcal per day to safely loose any weight that you put on. (from a combination of excercise and diet.)

spinner32 said:
True, but remember that the 2000 Kcal per day is an estimate for a low activity level, and basic metabolic maintenence. Most college students, for example, are well above this number (by 300-800 Kcal) simply due to a more active lifestyle. An athlete may be well above the 4000 Kcal mark, especially if they are trying to add muscle, or involved in high-energy endurance sports such as cycling.

One of the best tools for watching your calorie intake is to simply record all of the foods you eat over 1 week, weigh yourself at the end of the week, then repeat this over the next week, and weight yourself again. Note if you increase or decrease your weight in accordance with your diet. I was shocked to find out that I was consuming over 5000 calories per day when training, and 3,000 - 3,500 when in the off-season. I've got a pretty fast metabolism, granted, but had no idea that I was eating that much - I always thought I was well within the 2000 Kcal/day range. Oops? :eek:

Also, don't panic about one huge caloric intake like that. If you keep up 2 hrs of aerobic activity per day (which is quite a bit actually), in combination with a slight reduction in dietary intake, you'll "burn off" that cake no problem. Aim for a calorie deficit of about 500 Kcal per day to safely loose any weight that you put on. (from a combination of excercise and diet.)
You're right, of course, and obviously more qualified to comment on this. I mostly just wanted to put the 3000 calories in perspective. It's certainly something you can work through, but I wouldn't want to! I tend to struggle with my weight and metabolism, so those kinds of numbers scare me.:eek:

That piece of cake is not 3000cals. More like 300-500.

Any notion of using exercise to mitigate over consuming cals is doomed from day one.

You should eat more healthily.

I don't now man... I'd wager a bit more than 500 Kcal, lol.

Simply because tres leches is "three milk" cake - It's made by baking a cake, then completely soaking it in a mixture of heavy cream, whole milk, and sweetened condensed milk. Thats a lot of fat calories jammed into an already calorie-laden cake.

Thats really not important though - just a side note as I recently found out how to make it from a friend of mine.

Your point is SO 100% true though. I have to laugh when I hear some of the people at my university talk about how they'll need to run for an extra hour to burn off the Venti No-Whip Soy Caramel Macchiato they downed that morning. Adding to excercise because of over-indulging once in a while just doesn't work. It's so much easier to burn yourself out if you are only excercising as an absolution from poor nutritional choices.

That said... indulging once in a while won't kill you as long as you keep to a regular regimen otherwise.

Wow, there is no way I'd ever eat that thing lol.

I Googled the recipe and serving sizes. Based on a tray size used and the number of servings, and the rough guess at about just how big that piece is, I'd say its in the neighborhood of 400 calories. One serving gotten from cutting the cake tray into fifteen slices was 289 calories, but YMMV.

So, yes, you can burn that off reasonably in a day, but that's not really the healthiest way to look at it in the long run, as others have said.

spinner32 said:
This coming from a giant blimp? :p

Ah, touché. :D

Ok, truth be told, we all indulge from time to time and there's nothing wrong with that. I've given in to the occasional must-haves. Its not that often, but it happens. That recipe just sounded too much like a brick to me, but I have my weaknesses too:

My favorite was when I was in France staying near Rennes-les-Chateau. I rode down into the Pyrenees on a day the TDF went through and up the Port de Pailhéres to see them go over at that point. It was a fair distance to ride one way, and it was extremely hot that day. I got to the base of the climb and there is a little convenience mart there. Bought tons of water, but I was looking for some sort of food item. They had those little microwave pizzas and hot dog rotisserie things, but my eyes settled on this home made **** of some sort. Was like a pie and they were selling slices. I thought, sugar, that'll be good, carbs, that'll be good. I ended up having three pieces - half the pie. lol. It was REALLY good. Made it up the mountain no problem. :D Probably burned it off half way up. :p Was a tough climb.

So yeah, it happens. No harm done. ;)

I'd eat 5 of those things if you gave me some good coffee.
I could burn off a few of them given the right motivation. :D

worldgod said:

Tres-Leches.jpg

I wanna quick throw something in perspective...

I was recently at mile 90 of a 120 mile, 8 mountain ride in the appalachians during training camp, and was totally on the verge of bonking. I spotted a gas station and bought one of those glazed honey bun rolls solely because the back of the package said "500 calories". I downed the thing as fast as I could, hopped back on the bike, and (after one or two miles of feeling like I wanted to puke) got my speed and power back and finished the last 30 miles strong. I checked my two calorie counters at the end of the ride (speedometer and HRM) and they both said I burned close to 9000 calories.

I guess my point is that sure, eating bad food sucks if you're not active and don't do anything with it... But just cause the food is fatty and loaded with calories, don't mean it's bad at all. It's all about how you use the energy you put into your body.

hehe, that being said, I definitely checked to see if they had any cliff bars before I bought the pastry... :D