Can I buy just the front brake?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Friday, May 3, 2006.

  1. Friday

    Friday Guest

    I have a mountain bike frame that doesn't have a mount for disk brakes
    on the rear but I can put one on the front. I'd love to put an XTR setup
    on but can I buy just the front disk setup without having to pay for the
    rear as well?

    Friday

    Tags:

  2. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    Friday wrote:
    > I have a mountain bike frame that doesn't have a mount for disk brakes
    > on the rear but I can put one on the front. I'd love to put an XTR setup
    > on but can I buy just the front disk setup without having to pay for the
    > rear as well?

    Yes, but you may find it quite expensive.

  3. gplama

    gplama Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 16, 2004
    Messages:
    7,817
    Not sure if Huffy's and XTR mix.. but the answer is yes.... Google my trollie, Google...

  4. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    Bleve wrote:

    > Friday wrote:
    > > I have a mountain bike frame that doesn't have a mount for disk brakes
    > > on the rear but I can put one on the front. I'd love to put an XTR setup
    > > on but can I buy just the front disk setup without having to pay for the
    > > rear as well?

    > Yes, but you may find it quite expensive.

    Alternatively you could buy both, and sell the rear on ebay.

    Tam

  5. Parbs

    Parbs Guest

    Friday wrote:
    >> I have a mountain bike frame that doesn't have a mount for disk brakes
    >> on the rear but I can put one on the front. I'd love to put an XTR setup
    >> on but can I buy just the front disk setup without having to pay for the
    >> rear as well?

    The XTR disc brake lever has only available in the dual control model
    for a couple of years (until the 2007 stuff hits the shelves.)

    What you really want is Juicy 7
    http://www.phantomcycles.com.au/product.php?productid=2683&cat=100&page=1

    Parbs

  6. Paulie-AU

    Paulie-AU New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2005
    You could probably get just the caliper and then the standard shimano hydro brake lever to run it.

    Unless you are trying to be a weight weinie a deore hydro will do the job just as well.

  7. monsterman

    monsterman New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2005
    PHP:
    PHP:
    Disc brakes are for w*nkers - just ask Lotte.

    I have front and rear discs *accompanied by furious wrist action*

  8. Parbs

    Parbs Guest

    monsterman wrote:

    > Disc brakes are for w*nkers - just ask Lotte.

    Lotte will come around eventually

    Parbs

  9. monsterman

    monsterman New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2005
    PHP:
    PHP:
    I think her view is that they are OK, as long as you have "earned" them. So when I showed up for my 2nd ever ride in the bush with front and rear discs and a mainly LX with XT derailleurs, she [possibly quite accurately] identified me as a wanker.

  10. In aus.bicycle on Thu, 4 May 2006 17:03:02 +1000
    monsterman <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I think her view is that they are OK, as long as you have "earned"
    > them. So when I showed up for my 2nd ever ride in the bush with front
    > and rear discs and a mainly LX with XT derailleurs, she [possibly quite
    > accurately] identified me as a wanker.

    Hmm.. ah well, it's a bent, so I have no cred to lose!

    Zebee
    - planning on a disk brake only because the damn V brakes are hell to
    stop squealing.

  11. petulance

    petulance Guest

    monsterman wrote:
    > Parbs Wrote:
    > > monsterman wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Disc brakes are for w*nkers - just ask Lotte.
    > > >

    > > Lotte will come around eventually
    > >

    > I think her view is that they are OK, as long as you have "earned"
    > them. So when I showed up for my 2nd ever ride in the bush with front
    > and rear discs and a mainly LX with XT derailleurs, she [possibly quite
    > accurately] identified me as a wanker.

    Earned???

    One will be hard pressed to get an entry level hardtail (around the $1k
    mark) that doesn't come with disc brakes nowadays.

    Heck, I think even the $600 Giants have disc brakes nowadays. So you
    don't expect a bike with mainly LX with XT derailleurs to come with
    V-brakes (unless its the entry level Specialized Epic)

  12. In aus.bicycle on 4 May 2006 00:46:59 -0700
    petulance <[email protected]> wrote:
    > One will be hard pressed to get an entry level hardtail (around the $1k
    > mark) that doesn't come with disc brakes nowadays.

    Fashion? Price?

    Must be fashion, surely they can't be less expensive to make than
    V-brakes?

    What I don't get is why the levers have to be different for cable disk
    brakes. Isn't one way of operating a bowden cable very much like
    another?

    Zebee

  13. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2006-05-04, monsterman (aka Bruce)
    > Disc brakes are for w*nkers - just ask Lotte.
    >
    > I have front and rear discs *accompanied by furious wrist action*

    Modulation, eh?

    --
    TimC
    -o)

  14. Random Data

    Random Data Guest

    On Thu, 04 May 2006 06:59:11 +0000, Parbs wrote:

    > Lotte will come around eventually

    Certain journalists have.

    --
    Dave Hughes | [email protected]
    .... it is important to realize that any lock can be picked with a big

  15. tony f

    tony f Guest

    "Random Data" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]
    > On Thu, 04 May 2006 06:59:11 +0000, Parbs wrote:
    >
    >> Lotte will come around eventually

    > Certain journalists have.

    ....and we must never , ever, let them forget... ;^)

    Tony F

  16. tony f

    tony f Guest

    "Zebee Johnstone" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In aus.bicycle on 4 May 2006 00:46:59 -0700
    > petulance <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> One will be hard pressed to get an entry level hardtail (around the $1k
    >> mark) that doesn't come with disc brakes nowadays.

    > Fashion? Price?
    >
    > Must be fashion, surely they can't be less expensive to make than
    > V-brakes?
    >
    > What I don't get is why the levers have to be different for cable disk
    > brakes. Isn't one way of operating a bowden cable very much like
    > another?

    Fashion is part of it, but so is performance. In ~$1000 price range you'll
    get quite reasonable cable disc brakes. My wife's ~$600 Giant has Shimano
    discs that are better than Vs in that price range.

    Oh yes, you can buy just fronts!

    As for why the levers are different, I have no idea, but <handwaves>
    something to do with the amount of cable pulled?

    Tony F
    who thinks disc brakes are good - and not a fad

  17. Parbs

    Parbs Guest

    Zebee Johnstone wrote:

    > What I don't get is why the levers have to be different for cable disk
    > brakes.

    They don't. And in the case of v-brakes and most cable discs the same
    levers can be used.

    > Isn't one way of operating a bowden cable very much like another?

    Yes, but old school cantilever brakes and caliper brakes require a
    shorter cable pull than Vs and most cable discs.

    If you want to run discs with roadie levers you will be wanting these
    http://www.sram.com/en/avid/discbrakes/ballbearingroad/ballbearingroad.php

    Parbs

  18. In aus.bicycle on Fri, 05 May 2006 00:16:56 GMT
    Parbs <[email protected]> wrote:

    > If you want to run discs with roadie levers you will be wanting these
    > http://www.sram.com/en/avid/discbrakes/ballbearingroad/ballbearingroad.php

    Hmm... I'm not sure the vbrakes I have are road ones. Avid Single
    Digit, but not sure which one. As the gears are sram 5, these are
    probably Sd5.

    I will have to find some time to do some braking practice. The rear
    locks up dead easy, which I find a bit odd given the bike's geometry.
    So I have to practice to not do that.

    Zebee

  19. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    Parbs wrote:

    > monsterman wrote:
    > >
    > > Disc brakes are for w*nkers - just ask Lotte.
    > >

    > Lotte will come around eventually

    No, Lotte's not a w*nker ;)

    Tam

  20. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    petulance wrote:

    > monsterman wrote:
    > > Parbs Wrote:

    > > > Lotte will come around eventually
    > > >

    > > I think her view is that they are OK, as long as you have "earned"
    > > them. So when I showed up for my 2nd ever ride in the bush with front
    > > and rear discs and a mainly LX with XT derailleurs, she [possibly quite
    > > accurately] identified me as a wanker.
    > >

    > Earned???
    >
    > One will be hard pressed to get an entry level hardtail (around the $1k
    > mark) that doesn't come with disc brakes nowadays.
    >
    > Heck, I think even the $600 Giants have disc brakes nowadays. So you
    > don't expect a bike with mainly LX with XT derailleurs to come with
    > V-brakes (unless its the entry level Specialized Epic)

    They're mechanical discs tho, yeh? Not hydraulics?

    I love my v-brakes. Spares are small. Repairs are simple. And they work.
    And as I told my mate, "if you need disc brakes because you're riding in
    mud... well, you suck. Get off the trails in the wet, you're wrecking
    them."

    Tam