Can I buy just the front brake?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Friday, May 3, 2006.

  1. petulance

    petulance Guest

    Tamyka Bell wrote:
    > petulance wrote:
    > >
    > > One will be hard pressed to get an entry level hardtail (around the $1k
    > > mark) that doesn't come with disc brakes nowadays.
    > >
    > > Heck, I think even the $600 Giants have disc brakes nowadays. So you
    > > don't expect a bike with mainly LX with XT derailleurs to come with
    > > V-brakes (unless its the entry level Specialized Epic)

    > They're mechanical discs tho, yeh? Not hydraulics?

    Yes, they are probably mechanical discs. The Giants closes to the $1k
    mark have single piston hydraulics (Hayes Sole) instead of dual piston
    ones.

    > I love my v-brakes. Spares are small. Repairs are simple. And they work.
    > And as I told my mate, "if you need disc brakes because you're riding in
    > mud... well, you suck. Get off the trails in the wet, you're wrecking
    > them."

    I don't ride in the wet unless I have to (i.e. when it starts bucketing
    down in the middle of a ride and you can't bail).

    Though I would rather my MTB get wet than my roadie. My roadie doesn't
    like the wet.

  2. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    petulance wrote:

    > Tamyka Bell wrote:
    > > petulance wrote:
    > > >
    > > > One will be hard pressed to get an entry level hardtail (around the $1k
    > > > mark) that doesn't come with disc brakes nowadays.
    > > >
    > > > Heck, I think even the $600 Giants have disc brakes nowadays. So you
    > > > don't expect a bike with mainly LX with XT derailleurs to come with
    > > > V-brakes (unless its the entry level Specialized Epic)

    > > They're mechanical discs tho, yeh? Not hydraulics?

    > Yes, they are probably mechanical discs. The Giants closes to the $1k
    > mark have single piston hydraulics (Hayes Sole) instead of dual piston
    > ones.
    >
    > > I love my v-brakes. Spares are small. Repairs are simple. And they work.
    > > And as I told my mate, "if you need disc brakes because you're riding in
    > > mud... well, you suck. Get off the trails in the wet, you're wrecking
    > > them."

    > I don't ride in the wet unless I have to (i.e. when it starts bucketing
    > down in the middle of a ride and you can't bail).
    >
    > Though I would rather my MTB get wet than my roadie. My roadie doesn't
    > like the wet.

    My hair doesn't like the wet.

    Tam