Can I Change My Wheel Hub?

HALFTUNN

May 22, 2003
INTERCHANGEABLE HUBS?

ARE HUBS INTERCHANGEABLE? Can I retain my front wheel rims and spokes, meanwhile changing the hub to a disc brake compatable Hub?

CHRIS

Originally posted by HALFTUNN
INTERCHANGEABLE HUBS?

ARE HUBS INTERCHANGEABLE? Can I retain my front wheel rims and spokes, meanwhile changing the hub to a disc brake compatable Hub?

CHRIS
You can certainly hang on to your rims, you can probably hang on to half your spokes, but some changes has to be made. You might want to check out: http://www.firstprinciples.ca/

It all depends om how much your current hub differs from whatever disc hub you've been looking at. Usually there isn't much difference between flanges on the non-disc side, which lets you re-use half the spokes with a bit of luck.

This Disc hub adaptor looks intriguing. Has anyone out there seen one of these or know how easy they are to install?

CHRIS

We have one guy riding them and everything is OK so far. I am skeptical, but nothing has happened yet. If you can build a wheel you can add the adapter. It's not technical, but don't attempt it if you can not build a wheel.

To your first question: you could get lucky and find other hubs that have the same flange diameter and then your old spokes would work. I am NOT a fan of reusing spokes. They are cheap enough if you are building your own wheel that I just replace them if (for some reason) I am forced to unlace a wheel. Just seems worth the $10 bucks to be safe. You can certainly use them again though, it's just my preference. Have fun and ride well.

K.

Originally posted by HALFTUNN
This Disc hub adaptor looks intriguing. Has anyone out there seen one of these or know how easy they are to install?

CHRIS