Can I convert my 27speed tourer?

keiron curtis

Nov 18, 2007
I have a Venture GT 27speed touring bike,which I want to convert to an internal hub geared version,or failing that,even to a fixed wheel system.Can it be done and would it be expensive?

*check the O.L.D. spacing of the hub you want to use and your frame's dropout width.

*check if you can get antirotator washers for your hub which fit your frame. This was a bugaboo for my Sturmey-Archer conversion as I can't currently find a source and the one which I had cracked. I know shimano sells them for mtb type frames. Check Sheldonbrown.com.

*you probably will need a chain tensioner or at least a half link.

garage sale GT said:
*check the O.L.D. spacing of the hub you want to use and your frame's dropout width.

*check if you can get antirotator washers for your hub which fit your frame. This was a bugaboo for my Sturmey-Archer conversion as I can't currently find a source and the one which I had cracked. I know shimano sells them for mtb type frames. Check Sheldonbrown.com.

Thanks garage sale GT,that's a start,

garage sale GT said:

One link on Sheldon's pages is quite nice, if you haven't already found it:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/internal-gears.html

Another place to check:

http://www.sram-imotion.com/us/html/navigation_us.html The 9 speed option looks quite interesting.

garage sale GT said:

Why can't you "cut" your own antirotator washer from a plain washer?

keiron curtis said:
I have a Venture GT 27speed touring bike,which I want to convert to an internal hub geared version,or failing that,even to a fixed wheel system.Can it be done and would it be expensive?
Is your bike's frame alloy or steel? If the frame is steel, re-spacing the frame's rear to fit the "new" rear wheel will be a simple matter.

An internally geared hub will probably not have as wide a range as an externally geared drivetrain can have ... and, while maintaining the adjustment on an internally geared hub is not difficult, adjusting the indexing on an externally geared drivetrain is probably, actually easier.

Essentially, the cost of conversion will the the cost of a new rear hub ... you may need new spokes (i.e., different length), or not ... plus/(or, not) the cost of relacing the wheel ... OR, of course, you could buy a ready-to-ride rear wheel.

If your bike's frame has horizontal dropouts, you won't need anything specal to adjust the chan tension, otherwise you will need a chain tensioner (you can simply use almost any rear derailleur if you want).

Why do you want to convert your current bike's gearing so drastically?

alfeng said:
Why can't you "cut" your own antirotator washer from a plain washer?
I wanted to take some time to think of a stronger option. Then I just put it to the side and haven't gotten back to it.

You have to have a washer with flats on the inside BTW and if you don't do a good job fitting it up, it will just crack again.