Can I damage my rear wheel on a trainer?

cyclepath

Dec 30, 2003
Anyone know if using a trainer will cause damage to rear wheels over time? I'm using Velomax Orions with the Cyclops Fluid2 trainer. I was considering picking up a used set of wheels specifically to use on the fluid trainer such Open Pros\Ultegra or Mavic Cosmos. I know that the my tires do wear flat in the middle which is of no concern to me. Any info is greatly appreciated.

trainers will wear your tires out but i have never heard of them damaging rear wheels. but it might not hurt to have that extra set of wheels to use on it and in nasty weather.

Originally posted by cyclepath
Anyone know if using a trainer will cause damage to rear wheels over time? I'm using Velomax Orions with the Cyclops Fluid2 trainer. I was considering picking up a used set of wheels specifically to use on the fluid trainer such Open Pros\Ultegra or Mavic Cosmos. I know that the my tires do wear flat in the middle which is of no concern to me. Any info is greatly appreciated.

I have an old bike to use on my trainer, it does not demage the wheels in any way but if you take the bike on/off the trainer often then the skewer will show some scratches and also the rear derraileur gets its scratches, and some paint might come off the frame.

I have seen the flex that the frames needs to stand when is on the trainer. That is why I have an old bike on my trainer and would not recomend anybody to use a good bike on the trainer.

BR

froque

I generally agree with these points. The only real stress your rear wheel undergoes while on a trainer is pressure imposed between the roller drum and the skewer/hub assembly -- not unlike what it suffers on the road, only much smoother.

The frame takes more of a beating, between the natural lateral rocking of the rider's body and the stiff grasp of the trainer. You can impose some serious flex if you're not careful. There are certain maneuvers you should keep to a minimum -- working out of saddle, for instance.