Can I do a piecemeal groupset upgrade, from Sora to 105?

Tonto

Nov 3, 2003
Hi,
I have a Giant OCR3 and plan on upgrading the components gradually. I was on a tight budget when I bought it and just couldn't afford anything with a higher spec.
So for me to upgrade piecemeal I need to know what parts are dependent on what other ones.
I have a Sora groupset, 7 speed, double and would like to upgrade to 105 9spd double as I'm planning on doing a fair bit of climbing.
The total cost of an entire 105 groupset bought off the shelf is about €500 ($600). Is there a way I can do this in installments of about $200 each?
Obviously if I want to put on a 9spd cassette I'll need a new rear hub, chain and rear derailleur, but would I also need a new front mech and crankset as well? And if I'm putting on a new chain don't I need to replace my crankset too?
Is it basically impossible to do this upgrade piecemeal and should I just take a hit on my credit card and buy the whole lot in one go?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Maybe you can make a deal with your local LBS and buy the whole thing in installments?

Originally posted by mrowkoob
Maybe you can make a deal with your local LBS and buy the whole thing in installments?

Thanks, maybe I'll just save up the cents and take the big hit. :D

Don't forget STIs when you upgrade the hub (wheel), cassette, rear mech, chain.

You might get away with the chainrings and front mech until phase 2.

Originally posted by Tonto
Hi,
I have a Giant OCR3 and plan on upgrading the components gradually. I was on a tight budget when I bought it and just couldn't afford anything with a higher spec.
So for me to upgrade piecemeal I need to know what parts are dependent on what other ones.
I have a Sora groupset, 7 speed, double and would like to upgrade to 105 9spd double as I'm planning on doing a fair bit of climbing.
The total cost of an entire 105 groupset bought off the shelf is about €500 ($600). Is there a way I can do this in installments of about $200 each?
Obviously if I want to put on a 9spd cassette I'll need a new rear hub, chain and rear derailleur, but would I also need a new front mech and crankset as well? And if I'm putting on a new chain don't I need to replace my crankset too?
Is it basically impossible to do this upgrade piecemeal and should I just take a hit on my credit card and buy the whole lot in one go?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
You need the 9 speed hub,cassette chain and shifters to start with.Crankset,BB FD and RD can be done as you need them. How does a 9 speed 105 double get you better climbing over what you can get with 7 speed sora double, other than a bit tighter ratios?

Hmm... I was looking at doing that aswell, and the shop said I'd have to do it in one hit :p :(...

So I'm going for an Avanti Giro if i can :) There a nice bike, and they have the 105 groupset already installed

Originally posted by Kez Deale
Hmm... I was looking at doing that aswell, and the shop said I'd have to do it in one hit
Surprising how many shops don't know jack.

Careful, the width of the 7speed rear hub is likely to be narrower than a 9speed hub and given that the ocr3 is aluminium can't be spread.

Originally posted by PiledHigher
Careful, the width of the 7speed rear hub is likely to be narrower than a 9speed hub and given that the ocr3 is aluminium can't be spread.
There are 7 speed hubs that are 130, and if it's the comprimise 128 which was also common to alot of 7 speeed frames, it also works. Giant doesn't likely make a specially spaced rear for the small volume of 7 speed frames that are sold.

Going back to the original post, I am unsure how changing 7 to 9 will help with climbing, the lowest gear available is likely to be the same.

Well you can get a 27 on a 9 speed. Anyone knows what the lowest gear availiable is on 7?

Anyway Tonto you´ll love the 105 used to have it and it really is value for money. And (this will upset campa purists) it´s the one shimano group that resembles campa the most because its a little more noisy and "vocal" (than silent ultegra and DA) when you use it just like campa (not comparing function or quality). When I upgraded from 105 a couple of years ago it took me a while to get used to not having the gruopo "talking" to me.

btw you can upgrade to ultegra for lil more than 105; 105 is a good value but less so in the after market as a full gruppo. but then that begs the question is the whole thing worth it, especially if all you want is the 27 tooth cog?

If what you're after are climbing gears, have you considered getting a 7 speed Shimano MTB cassette? I am pretty sure that would work, however you may need to pay attention to chain length and the size of your derailleur cage.

The gears will end up wider-spaced too, which means that you won't have as finer-grained control of your cadence as you would with tighter gearing.

You can get those in 12-28 or a 13-30, and wouldn't cost very much. A lot less than changing your drivetrain around! Just another option you might want to consider.

Your local shop, or those here that know more about older groupsets will know if this is actually possible -- I know Shimano 9 speed is interchangable from road to MTB, not sure about older ones.

Thanks for all the great advice.
It's good to know that it can be done bit by bit.

The reason why I'm interested in upgrading is because when I've been on any kind of steep climb I've found shifting very awkward and have had to ease off considerably to get a clean shift and have to really force the shifter. I've been told that a better groupset would make shifting on steep climbs a whole lot easier.

I've already got a 27 tooth cog which is great for those climbs but I'm also finding I'd like slightly closer ratios too. Some of you seem to think I needn't bother with a groupset upgrade, would my money be better spent upgrading other parts?

Thanks again for all your help

Originally posted by mrowkoob
Well you can get a 27 on a 9 speed. Anyone knows what the lowest gear availiable is on 7?

7 speed large cog ....26,28,30,32,34 in additon to the smaller ones.

Originally posted by Tonto

The reason why I'm interested in upgrading is because when I've been on any kind of steep climb I've found shifting very awkward and have had to ease off considerably to get a clean shift and have to really force the shifter................. I've been told that a better groupset would make shifting on steep climbs a whole lot easier.
I think you have been told alot of hooey. Proper adjustment and good technique are alot cheaper than a new group that wony't shift either if it's mal adjusted.

Seems to me that buying a new , better bike would probably be a bit cheaper that an upgrage of the whole group , then you can sell the old one or keep it for bad weather / town use ( flat bar )and on the cycle trainer . plus your more likely to be able to get a loan for a bike than a box of bits .

You could also consider doing the work yourself. It might take a lot longer and be difficult, but you'll lear a lot too. If you keep your eye out for deals on parts and only replace what you need, you could save a good $300. Just a thought. No one freek out.