Can I drill out my rims for schraider valves?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Steve, Jun 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Hi Everyone, I just bought a bike with Alex TD-17 disk brake rims, and I'd like to drill them out to
    accept schrader valves, but I'm concerned because of the narrow rims.

    Any one have any opinions? I really hate presta valves.

    Thanks in advance,

    Steve.
     
    Tags:


  2. Ns>

    Ns> Guest

    I know they may be difficult to use, but, have you tried using a schrader adapter and keeping the
    presta valved tires? I sure would hate to ruin the tensile strength of a wheelset because of my
    preferences...

    My2c, NS
     
  3. Yes. Be sure to completely deburr the hole (a slight champfer on the inside doesn't hurt)

    May you have the wind at your back. And a really low gear for the hills! Chris

    Chris'Z Corner "The Website for the Common Bicyclist": http://www.geocities.com/czcorner
     
  4. Steve

    Steve Guest

    I like to carry a spare tube, and now I need to repack my seat pack when I go mountain biking vs.
    riding on the road with the kids.

    I do have an adapter, I just don't want to buy more tools for a seperate pack for my mountain bike.

    Steve.

    NS> wrote:
    > I know they may be difficult to use, but, have you tried using a schrader adapter and keeping the
    > presta valved tires? I sure would hate to ruin the tensile strength of a wheelset because of my
    > preferences...
    >
    > My2c,
    > NS
     
  5. Trent Piepho

    Trent Piepho Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Steve <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I like to carry a spare tube, and now I need to repack my seat pack when I go mountain biking vs.
    >riding on the road with the kids.

    Wouldn't it be easier to go the other way? You can buy little plastic grommets that let you put a
    presta tube in a schrader rim. No rim drilling and they take up little space in a seat pack. Combine
    this with a presta to schrader inflation adapter and you'll have all bases covered. Presta rim and a
    schrader pump? Schrader rim and a presta only pump? No problem.
     
  6. Bobqzzi

    Bobqzzi Guest

    On 3 Jun 2003 02:19:24 -0700, [email protected] (Trent Piepho) wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>, Steve <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>I like to carry a spare tube, and now I need to repack my seat pack when I go mountain biking vs.
    >>riding on the road with the kids.
    >
    >Wouldn't it be easier to go the other way? You can buy little plastic grommets that let you put a
    >presta tube in a schrader rim. No rim drilling and they take up little space in a seat pack.
    >Combine this with a presta to schrader inflation adapter and you'll have all bases covered. Presta
    >rim and a schrader pump? Schrader rim and a presta only pump? No problem.

    Good idea..just forget the grommets-there is no need for them. As for the difficulty of using presta
    valves- that is almost always the new cylist reaction, but in reallity they are easier to use (in a
    bicycle applicattion) than a schrader valve-particularly when changing tires, or defating a tube for
    any reason.
     
  7. That's a great idea, I didn't think about using a presta tube in a schraider rim. This way I
    can cover most of the family with one tube. My son has 24 inch tires, so if he kills the tube
    he's walking.

    Thanks,

    steve.

    Trent Piepho wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>, Steve <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>I like to carry a spare tube, and now I need to repack my seat pack when I go mountain biking vs.
    >>riding on the road with the kids.
    >
    >
    > Wouldn't it be easier to go the other way? You can buy little plastic grommets that let you put a
    > presta tube in a schrader rim. No rim drilling and they take up little space in a seat pack.
    > Combine this with a presta to schrader inflation adapter and you'll have all bases covered. Presta
    > rim and a schrader pump? Schrader rim and a presta only pump? No problem.
     
  8. Don Demair

    Don Demair Guest

    "Steve + Laura" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > That's a great idea, I didn't think about using a presta tube in a schraider rim. This way I can
    > cover most of the family with one tube. My son has 24 inch tires, so if he kills the tube he's
    > walking.

    I'd be willing to bet that you can get a 700 tube to work in a 24" tire. Just overlap the excess
    tube and stuff it in there. You may get a little bump with each revolution, but I don't think it
    woud be much.

    Mind you, I haven't actually tried it and I don't have anymore bikes in that size, but I have put a
    700 in a 26" mtb tire and it worked fine in a pinch.

    -Don
     
  9. On Wed, 04 Jun 2003 14:21:53 GMT, "Don DeMair" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I'd be willing to bet that you can get a 700 tube to work in a 24" tire. Just overlap the excess
    >tube and stuff it in there. You may get a little bump with each revolution, but I don't think it
    >woud be much.

    I've had 700C tubes in a 700C wheel that were just slightly oversize, and doubled up over about
    half an inch.

    It does not work. Not at any decent pressures, anyway. The heel wires get pushed so far off the rim
    you're likely to blow out.

    Jasper
     
Loading...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Loading...