can I freeze stroganoff?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by JLove98905, Mar 2, 2004.

  1. JLove98905

    JLove98905 Guest

    I made a large batch of beef stroganoff. I fear I'll get sick of it before I can finish it off. Can
    it be frozen (not the noodles, just the sauce)?

    -Jen Half the people you know are below average. -Steven Wright

    Tags:

  2. Nancree

    Nancree Guest

    >Subject: can I freeze stroganoff?
    >From: [email protected] (JLove98905)
    -------------------------------
    Good question. Usually milk products, such as sour cream, separate and appear curdled after freezing
    and defrosting. Let us know. Nancree

  3. Kswck

    Kswck Guest

    "JLove98905" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I made a large batch of beef stroganoff. I fear I'll get sick of it before
    > can finish it off. Can it be frozen (not the noodles, just the sauce)?
    >
    > -Jen Half the people you know are below average. -Steven Wright

    I believe you can. The milk products are cooked so there should be no problem. Someone correct me if
    I am wrong-but tell me why as well.

  4. Frogleg

    Frogleg Guest

    On 03 Mar 2004 01:03:49 GMT, [email protected] (JLove98905)
    wrote:

    >I made a large batch of beef stroganoff. I fear I'll get sick of it before I can finish it off. Can
    >it be frozen (not the noodles, just the sauce)?

    When I tried, the result was really gicky. Sort of white stuff with a lot of water. The last time I
    made stroganoff, I froze it just prior to the addition of sour cream; then added that when I thawed
    it out. I nearly always have sour cream around, more's the pity. :)

  5. Nancy Dooley

    Nancy Dooley Guest

    Frogleg <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > On 03 Mar 2004 01:03:49 GMT, [email protected] (JLove98905) wrote:
    >
    > >I made a large batch of beef stroganoff. I fear I'll get sick of it before I can finish it off.
    > >Can it be frozen (not the noodles, just the sauce)?
    >
    > When I tried, the result was really gicky. Sort of white stuff with a lot of water. The last time
    > I made stroganoff, I froze it just prior to the addition of sour cream; then added that when I
    > thawed it out. I nearly always have sour cream around, more's the pity. :)

    I've done it many times, with homogenized commercial sour cream, and have had no problems at all
    with curdling or anything else.

    N.

  6. [email protected] (JLove98905) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I made a large batch of beef stroganoff. I fear I'll get sick of it before I can finish it off.
    > Can it be frozen (not the noodles, just the sauce)?

    If you're of the school that makes the stew by itself and adds the sour cream at the table (as I
    am), it freezes just fine.

    Once you've added the sour cream, though, freezing is safe but ugly, because the sour cream will not
    thaw nicely.

    --
    Chris Green

  7. Laura

    Laura Guest

    before adding the sour cream you could freeze some. A GF used to freeze is after. She said, looks
    bad, tastes fine. I eat with my eyes though so I passed.

    --
    Laura

    GAYLAN FOR PRESIDENT!

    "Nancree" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >Subject: can I freeze stroganoff? From: [email protected] (JLove98905)
    > -------------------------------
    > Good question. Usually milk products, such as sour cream, separate and
    appear
    > curdled after freezing and defrosting. Let us know. Nancree

  8. Barry Grau

    Barry Grau Guest

    "Laura" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > before adding the sour cream you could freeze some. A GF used to freeze is after. She said, looks
    > bad, tastes fine. I eat with my eyes though so I passed.

    Yes, but do you drink with your eyes?

    > --
    > Laura
    >
    > GAYLAN FOR PRESIDENT!

    We already have a cabbagehead for President.

    -bwg Drink to me only with thine eyes, And I will pledge with mine. -Ben Jonson