Can I get light while still having style?

ghostpedal

Jul 26, 2004
Hey, I've been riding a track bike on the road for over a year. As much as I love it, it is a cheap and heavy steel beast. I like the fixed feel, but would like to lose some weight. I have talked of getting a Cannondale Capo, or other lighter bike, but some of my riding friends disagree and think my current bike has more style, and a new one would somehow be against the fixed gear mentality. I dont' get it. What are some opinions? I would like to read posts on either side of the issue. Thanks.

ghostpedal said:
Hey, I've been riding a track bike on the road for over a year. As much as I love it, it is a cheap and heavy steel beast. I like the fixed feel, but would like to lose some weight. I have talked of getting a Cannondale Capo, or other lighter bike, but some of my riding friends disagree and think my current bike has more style, and a new one would somehow be against the fixed gear mentality. I dont' get it. What are some opinions? I would like to read posts on either side of the issue. Thanks.
Alot of it depends on your physical size, conditioning, riding style and preference. I'm too big for most of the current lightweight stuff. If you're in a similar situation and love what you have, think about breaking an essential part, crashing and think how much you'd love that....just because of some comments made by friends. I'd say do your own thing. I have an unknown steel road converstion that is probably lighter and more comfortable than my more modern track bike and an old steel raleigh that's a great commuter...all fixed. Can't say which I like the best. Where you ride, your personal physical considerations and your riding style has more input on bike selection than anything....at least to me. Sounds like you're doing just fine.

Great responses all. I think I probably will buy a Capo this spring. Fixed gear riders are all different, but they seem to fall into one of two different camps: 1) Ride anything & everything, and screw anybody who tells you different, and 2) We only respect complete messenger style alley-cat racing, steel riding, cultural purists. I would definitely consider myself on the first group, as I don't care what someone is riding, how many gears it has, or anything else. As long as they are having fun, and out riding, I think it's great. Thanks again for the responses, and ride happy!:)

ghostpedal said:
Great responses all. I think I probably will buy a Capo this spring. Fixed gear riders are all different, but they seem to fall into one of two different camps: 1) Ride anything & everything, and screw anybody who tells you different, and 2) We only respect complete messenger style alley-cat racing, steel riding, cultural purists. I would definitely consider myself on the first group, as I don't care what someone is riding, how many gears it has, or anything else. As long as they are having fun, and out riding, I think it's great. Thanks again for the responses, and ride happy!:)
Ride what you want. After the day is done your buddies are not going to be the ones nursing injuries if the bike "let's you down" a little harder than you'd like.

Confession Time; I ride a 26" Murray Single Speed GIRLS bike. Yes, it has the low top frame bar. And I am a GUY. So why would I, a guy, want to and prefer to ride a GIRLS bike?? Because I prefer not to mangle my little friends south of the border when and if my foot slides off a pedal. Call me a coward, but that is one place I do NOT want to be getting hit with a piece of metal. The boys bikes all have that bar way up high so you can sing soprano if you have a booboo. While I do get picked on a bit for my choice, at the end of the day I'm not going to be applying cold compresses to my groin like some who are too macho to ride "the sissy mobile" like I do.

That is what it is all about. Doing what YOU as the rider want to do. If you want to paint your cycle pink with yellow stripes and tassles off the handlebars with a purple basket, git-r-dun! It is your money, and your bike to enjoy as you please!

Thanks. Not only do I agree with your answer, it gave me a good chuckle first thing at work this morning.

NewRiderMan said:
Ride what you want. After the day is done your buddies are not going to be the ones nursing injuries if the bike "let's you down" a little harder than you'd like.

Confession Time; I ride a 26" Murray Single Speed GIRLS bike. Yes, it has the low top frame bar. And I am a GUY. So why would I, a guy, want to and prefer to ride a GIRLS bike?? Because I prefer not to mangle my little friends south of the border when and if my foot slides off a pedal. Call me a coward, but that is one place I do NOT want to be getting hit with a piece of metal. The boys bikes all have that bar way up high so you can sing soprano if you have a booboo. While I do get picked on a bit for my choice, at the end of the day I'm not going to be applying cold compresses to my groin like some who are too macho to ride "the sissy mobile" like I do.

That is what it is all about. Doing what YOU as the rider want to do. If you want to paint your cycle pink with yellow stripes and tassles off the handlebars with a purple basket, git-r-dun! It is your money, and your bike to enjoy as you please!
if more folks like you were brave as you are there would be more folks riding bikes. who cares what you ride? i don't, as long as you care! if the women's frame gives you more comfort and clearance, who gives a fu....

and (AND) you've done away with the oppression of geared bikes. try a fixed gear if you can, and if you don't like it, don't let anyone give you **** for riding SS, or a mixte frame, for that matter.

if it feels good, do it.

at least you're riding. if you want to rock a jet-black track bike, do it. if you want to rock a pink singlespeed with a basket and tassels, do it. what matters is that you do it.

take care,
velohell

Update: I'm not sure if anyone really cares, but I did buy a Capo (in Darth Vader black) and outfitted it with FSA carbon pro cranks and bb, 44cm bullhorns, and a tektro carbon reverse lever to the front brake. It is absolutely wonderful, and I'm so glad I did it. I will miss my old steelie, but I soon have to sell it, hopefully to someone who will give it a good home. Thanks all, and may you all have happy rides!

ghostpedal said:

I hate to admit this, but I might fall into category 2?

Only in my heart of hearts though, in my brain I'll be generous and say the Cannondale is probably a wonderful ride... with many wonderful characteristics... have I said wonderful enough?

Ride the Canny and if you like it, screw them and their opinions.

(edit: whoops... pays to read all the way down the page, I hope you enjoy the new ride!)