Can I get Peugeot Blue touch up paint?

TomBrooklyn

Jan 18, 2008
I have a blue Peugeot 10 speed racing bike with a Carbolite 103 frame. Will I be able to get touch up paint for it anywhere? I heard Peugeots weren't made anymore.

TomBrooklyn said:
I have a blue Peugeot 10 speed racing bike with a Carbolite 103 frame. Will I be able to get touch up paint for it anywhere? I heard Peugeots weren't made anymore.
If the color is a "midnight" blue, you can try some automotive DUPLI-COLOR paint ... it will have metallic flakes in it, so you probably do NOT (well, MAY NOT) want to shake the can/bottle.

The color/shade of the "base" layer you lay down beneath the color coat will affect how what is effectively a dark "candy" blue paint will ultimately look ... so, if you are using a can of spray paint, spray a band of (flat) white, (primer) grey, and (flat) black on a piece of cardboard ... then spray the blue over it ... and, decide if you see a difference and/or (more importantly) a match in the sunlight to the appearence of the blue on your frame.

OR, bring the frame/bike to an automotive PAINT/body shop, and have them mix up a custom batch of paint for you (particularly, if it is a lighter blue).

AFAIK. There were some Peugeots made in Canada a few years ago for the NA market ... I don't know what the current status is of the marque ... the shop that originally sold the bike (or, other Peugeots) may still have some touch-up paint in the color of your bike's frame.

TomBrooklyn said:
Keep in mind that, if your touch up paint doesn't match PERFECTLY you might as well paint it yellow because the mismatch will draw your eye to the nick.

I have a Peugeot too. If I wanted to restore it, I believe I would try to create a stencil to duplicate the decals and spray the whole bike in a roughly similar shade. Maybe just mask off the carbolite sticker.

However, a "resto" would not be complete without rechroming the rims, derailleurs, brake levers, seatpost, etc, getting some new spokes, polishing the aluminum parts, etc.

I chose to just polish off the major rust and clean it up.

A bike made with Carbolite 103 is a solid, smooth riding bike, but is an entry level bike not a racer.

Try getting some new tires for it. Several good brands of 27x1-1/4 still exist. They will give the bike a "careworn but well looked after" appearance as well as being available with highly effective kevlar flat protection belts.

Hi,
I didn't want to completely restore the bike. I just wanted to touch up some scratches. I did clean it up a lot though and I did polish the rims and clean the spokes and hubs with Noxon metal cleaner/polish.

I did get new tires for it as the existing ones were dryrotted and shot. I don't know if they have kevlar flat protection belts though. How would I know if they have those?

Retro Grouch said:
Keep in mind that, if your touch up paint doesn't match PERFECTLY you might as well paint it yellow because the mismatch will draw your eye to the nick.
Hi Retro,
Well, what do you think would be better, seeing the light blue primer undercoat or in a few cases the bare metal, or seeing an imperfect but close touch up. This bike has hundreds of scratches on it, so probably spraying would be better, but I just wanted to put a little work into it, not a major restoration.
=Tom

TomBrooklyn said:
Hi Retro,
Well, what do you think would be better, seeing the light blue primer undercoat or in a few cases the bare metal, or seeing an imperfect but close touch up. This bike has hundreds of scratches on it, so probably spraying would be better, but I just wanted to put a little work into it, not a major restoration.
=Tom
I generally touch up the paint with clear nail polish. It's much less distracting than a "not quite" color match.

TomBrooklyn said:
Hi,
I didn't want to completely restore the bike. I just wanted to touch up some scratches. I did clean it up a lot though and I did polish the rims and clean the spokes and hubs with Noxon metal cleaner/polish.

I did get new tires for it as the existing ones were dryrotted and shot. I don't know if they have kevlar flat protection belts though. How would I know if they have those?
They would advertise it on the box or the tire itself.